AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Neo Ladder

Forum for AWBW Tournaments

Moderator: Forum Mods

Re: Neo Ladder

Postby Walker » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:33 am

Well the new league does everything that the ladder attempts to do, except you do not choose your opponents. That is the only possible benefit of having a ladder in addition to a league, as the league will provide more fair and competitive matches, in addition to providing a true ranking system of players.

And yes, I actually did mean to mention earlier that I'm planning on shutting the Neo Ladder down when the league goes live on the main site (probably in about a month). That gives people time to finish Ladder matches, get used to the league, etc. I'll keep updating the Ladder until then, which honestly is almost no work. I think you will actually find that it will be very natural for the ladder to die as the league gets going anyways. :)
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby ichbinsehselber » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:44 pm

They say that in the new Champions league you cannot chose the CO. So this is a big difference, since some people including me do not agree with the CO tier list. Also I think the CO choice is part of the game strategy and may decide win or loss (here).

A random CO within a tier is also an interesting idea for that league. It just makes a very different game.
ichbinsehselber
Tank
Tank

Postby Hellraider » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:27 pm

You can actually choose your CO in the new league. Also, I'd like to know why exactly you disagree with the tier list, I didn't make that post for nothing.
Hellraider
Rocket
Rocket

Postby ichbinsehselber » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:41 pm

@hellraider: Thx for the info
I replied to your CO tier question in the thread where you probably expect it: viewtopic.php?t=13797
ichbinsehselber
Tank
Tank

Postby Abroxas » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:23 pm

The problem is that there are very few attendats for the Neo Ladder. Okay, there is acitivity, but how much fun is it to play against the same players again and again? Most of the players are rather good so there might be very few change in ladder order. It's just that I think that it is not necessary to shut the NL down. If anyone feels the need for it, it could continue running (Everyone can run it with the pw for the ladder_admin account). When the NL dies without shutting down, no one would mind it.
If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
Abroxas
Tank
Tank

Postby Walker » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:41 am

That is reasonable Abroxas. I have no problem sharing the LadderAdmin account info if other would like to continue running it.

Please pm me if you would like the password.
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby blanci1 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:04 am

yeah i think as with the coloseum , i think aat present all the current players in neoladder can be trusted with the adminpassword.
I argued recently to keep neoladder going with support from a few other players, so i would be willing to do the updates. Please send me the password by PM.

I think for vacations and other reasons it would be good for several people to share the tasks, well at least two.

At the moment im on holidays and have little online time this month, but when i come back i can get more players for neoladder of various levels. Also i ll continue some debate on ways to introduce some interesting features into the ladder to keep people interested longer, i had some ideas before though i ll have to dig them out .

...having a happy summer working holiday in burning london !
blanci1
Artillery
Artillery

Postby ichbinsehselber » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:59 pm

It seems that I got lucky. I can't believe it but I won against the mighty Kamuscha: http://awbw.amarriner.com/game.php?games_id=148795
I did not think this was possible ....
ichbinsehselber
Tank
Tank

Postby Kamuscha » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:14 pm

Nice work. I think it beckons me to sort out other stuff before getting back to the swing of things.

I still love you! Tonight, your true love will realize they truly miss you. You will get a shock of a lifetime tomorrow. If you break the chain, you will be cursed with relationship problems for the next 2 years. Karma's a bitch, I know. If there is someone you love, and can't get them out of your mind, repost this paragraph as "I still Love you"
Kamuscha
CO
CO

Postby ichbinsehselber » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:22 am

I won vs Blanc1 http://awbw.amarriner.com/game.php?games_id=148724

Could you please update the first page. There are some challenge spots free now after all ;-)
ichbinsehselber
Tank
Tank

Postby fdkanns » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:29 am

gogo German domination ;)
fdkanns
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Postby Kamuscha » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:02 pm

game's up for headphone. didn't notice the challenge til now. pass is awbw

I won't be around for a couple weeks btw.

I still love you! Tonight, your true love will realize they truly miss you. You will get a shock of a lifetime tomorrow. If you break the chain, you will be cursed with relationship problems for the next 2 years. Karma's a bitch, I know. If there is someone you love, and can't get them out of your mind, repost this paragraph as "I still Love you"
Kamuscha
CO
CO

Postby Walker » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:53 pm

Could you please update the first page. There are some challenge spots free now after all

If you'd like the password, just pm me. Then you can update it yourself. :)
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby blanci1 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:55 pm

im away working for an unspecified time this summer, so only get erratic internet access. However in a few weeks or a month , i hope to be available for updating the neoladder and also recruit a number of new folk. Though this responsibility is best shared.
I think the neoladder is quite different from other competitive forms, and could be easily modified in a number of ways if participants wish.
Actually one small problem which might need addressing is the fact that the higher player gets to choose the conditions.
This may be rather favourable to the higher player. for example, excrimophalus challenged me but requested non-fog, which under present rules is not really the idea, but it seems a bit mean of me to insist on fog. However i actually consider fog to be a very natural mode of battle, which i enjoy. Also i have had to endure most of my games non-fog when challenging. So if fog or non-fog or other conditions are so sensitive i think we could debate this rule.

PS. Ichbinselber finished me off very quickly after I did possibly the number one booboo of not seeing that I hadnt finished capturing my advanced factory and moved off it and then had the fright of my life when i realised what had happened. Live and learn.(also playing non-fog meant he saw the booboo immediately and knew to act quickly). Well a big lesson for me here is be very careful when playing on strange computers too.. it looks different and also ones recollections of ongoing games can be disturbed when away from home and playing irregularly.
blanci1
Artillery
Artillery

Postby ichbinsehselber » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:37 am

blanci1 wrote:Actually one small problem which might need addressing is the fact that the higher player gets to choose the conditions.

This is only partially true.
The defender chooses whether fog is on or off! I had completely overlooked this. I thought the Neo-ladder was non-fog only. I would have chosen fog in some cases...

But the other conditions are set and can be changed by mutual agreement.

Debate - yeah, it is always good to put things up for discussion, which you would like to see improved.

Personally I am in favour of keeping existing rules in a running tourney and not changing the rules while it is going on.

I do not think your setting with Excrimo will matter, because I will surely loose my game against him...

Regarding our game: Yeah, taking advantage of an error of the opponent is much easier in a non-fog game. In a fog game you might even in some cases think of a trap rather than a movement mistake of the opponent...

Also I think Javier1T is better in fog than in non-fog.
ichbinsehselber
Tank
Tank

PreviousNext

Return to AWBW Tournaments