AW/FE by Web

AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Changing League Maps (Updated)

Discussion about AWBW Leagues goes here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Postby SmackCakes » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:55 pm

Defuso wrote:Why isn't there an option to vote down for maps? Or does the "abstain think" some kind of impact?

I was under the impression that you could vote "not approved"

Defuso wrote:I don't like the fact that there is only 1 way to play the map. I wanna play different (maybe creative) and not as predetermined or recommended.

To say there is only one way to play the map is a complete misconception. There are many ways to play the map, and you are free to do all of them... as you found out to your cost.

You played the map your way, Black Mont-Blanc played his way, and as it turned out... his way was better. This is true on every map, every map has a best strategy, a sequence of builds and moves which allow you to gain control of the key points in the shortest possible time.

Had you been playing against a slightly less experienced player who made similar mistakes to the ones you made, then you might have had more fun, and found more room to be "creative"

Unfortunately for you BMB is one of the better players here, I expect he played a very efficient opening game which you didn't keep pace with. I'm sorry but you can't really blame the map for that, I feel he beat you fair and square, and you even had first turn.

Defuso wrote:if the map would be removed just for my account of the league, not necessarily for all players.

I can't see this happening, but if you really hate the map so much that a 1 in 14 chance of having to play on it again, is too much for you, then there are still 3 other AWBW leagues that don't include that map.
ImageImage
SmackCakes
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tyrael » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:18 pm

There's basically only one way to play the opening on 95% of the maps on this site. The others have a choice between "recon rush or don't". It's just that some maps punish you more for making an early mistake.
Ultra Storm wrote:Winking is futile.
Tyrael
Fighter
Fighter

Postby Ratatoskr » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:43 pm

Tyrael wrote:There's basically only one way to play the opening on 95% of the maps on this site. The others have a choice between "recon rush or don't". It's just that some maps punish you more for making an early mistake.

Agreed. There is usually an optimal capture pattern for any map. The original Pheasant is interesting in that there are different options depending on APC/recon use, but that's the exception rather than the rule around here.

Logically, there is a most efficient way to make captures on every map, though it can change depending on what your opponent does.

The maps that are considered bad for forcing patterns are maps like Gyroptic, where the pattern is hard to see and you get absolutely screwed otherwise. Twin Lakes, one of my favorite maps, has an issue in this way as well, because the correct play in the beginning is for BM to send their infantry south from their eastern base, when going east is more obvious.

Did you seriously expect that delaying your base capture was going to be a better strategy? I can't think of a situation where that would be a good idea. The problem isn't the map, it's that you haven't learned to manage the capture phase yet.
Back for a while maybe.
Ratatoskr
B-Copter
B-Copter

Postby sulla » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:56 am

I am going to plug my own map.

http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=36928

Down Desu way. I think this would be a perfect league map.
DESU DESU DESU DESU
sulla
Md. Tank
Md. Tank

Postby DuelStriker » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:12 am

Why did you bump this topic? Did you not see the league map selections were made 4 months ago?
READ the Grand Battle #2 today! You know you want to read it!
--
JOIN SKIES OF ARCADIA MAFIA ALREADY DAMMIT
---
22:38 airob: a f** would be anyone who calls me mexican
DuelStriker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Defuso » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:32 am

DuelStriker wrote:Why did you bump this topic? Did you not see the league map selections were made 4 months ago?

And this change the fact that a discussion about the league maps is no good idea?
Defuso
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Postby DuelStriker » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:30 pm

Defuso wrote:
DuelStriker wrote:Why did you bump this topic? Did you not see the league map selections were made 4 months ago?

And this change the fact that a discussion about the league maps is no good idea?

We're not looking for new league maps right now though.
READ the Grand Battle #2 today! You know you want to read it!
--
JOIN SKIES OF ARCADIA MAFIA ALREADY DAMMIT
---
22:38 airob: a f** would be anyone who calls me mexican
DuelStriker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby sulla » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:30 pm

Oh well I should of looked at the dates I supose LOL.
DESU DESU DESU DESU
sulla
Md. Tank
Md. Tank

Re: Changing League Maps (Updated)

Postby tmassing » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:08 pm

I hate most of these FOW league maps. It's a race, not a war. Ive played 10 games and 3 of them have been trhe wilderness map. Same thing every game. Boring as hell.

We need more maps in league and not just these ones with the bases in the middle away from the factories and you race to them with an apc and recon and block the guy from stopping you to capture. not fun. No reason to not have more maps so stupid not to.

Also, shouldnt sturm be banned since you have mountain heavy maps? why is drake not banned if most of the maps have no water?
tmassing
Infantry
Infantry

Postby Walker » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:25 pm

The old league maps are not going to be updated further, at least not by me. Those leagues are unfair and not fun for a variety of reasons outside of map problems anyways. That is why the Global League was started, to sort these problems out.

In other words, you play in the old leagues at your own peril. :?
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Hellraider » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:31 pm

Well, since the FoW league is the only way to play FoW games without specifically looking for them now it wouldn't hurt to have it a bit polished at least. But most maps simply aren't made for FoW because everything that has complex frontlines or a complex capture phase is a guessing game to some extent. Wilderness Warfare is a very extreme example of that, especially with this mass of forests.
Hellraider
Rocket
Rocket

Postby hetchel » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:40 pm

I agree... I just started playing in the old league because I wanted to play FoW games.
I got Wilderness Warfare, random COs and random weather.
I like surprises, or else I wouldn't be playing with FoW, but this is a bit too much for me. Well at least now I can say it's not my fault if I lose :D
hetchel
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Postby ichbinsehselber » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:49 pm

tmassing wrote: why is drake not banned if most of the maps have no water?

Drake can compete with most other COs. Even without water.

tmassing wrote: you race to them with an apc and recon and block the guy from stopping you to capture. not fun.

Does not sound like the best overall strategy to me. Would have to be proven in games though

Walker wrote:Those leagues are unfair

In my opinion more true would be that the old leagues have an additional element of luck:
The CO is chosen for you by chance
ichbinsehselber
Tank
Tank

Postby tmassing » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:13 pm

I've played 10 games and in most of them the guy is capturing my base withing 4 days, and has an apc and recon to help him block me. It's only day 4 so all I have is infantry and I'm far from my base. Maybe that clears things up.

Somebody said that the old leaguie has several problems. I think just 2 problems. 1) more maps and not just the race to the middle type and 2) smarter about what COs are banned.

Someobody said that Drake is useful even if no water. True but not on small maps.

I love the random co element too, but you might as well resign on day 1 when you have the wilderness map and your opponent has sturm. LOL.

Anyway, I al;ways feel guilty when I complain about things on AWBW because truefully I'm so grateful for such brilliance.

There should be a FOW global league. I still dont understand why people play without fog. Amazes me. Without fog you take out so many elements of the game that make it so great. Well, to his his own ius the saying right?

Thanks again AWBW crew for your hard work. Very grateful.
tmassing
Infantry
Infantry

Postby Divva » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:43 am

There should be a FOW global league. I still dont understand why people play without fog.

I think you might be interested in this.

it is true the fow league deserves a better map setting, I think at least A Shadow's game, Wilderness Warfare and Rainy should be removed... but since the col S6 is going to be held, i'll be looking forward to it. If the Col S6 FoW section is successful. I believe walker will introduce some of the col map into the L8, or there will be more FoW tourneys.
Divva
Map Committee
Map Committee

PreviousNext

Return to AWBW Leagues