AW/FE by Web

AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Newbie League

Discussion about AWBW Leagues goes here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Re: Newbie League

Postby ichbinsehselber » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:05 pm

Some people like me like the old leagues. They have variety and "stuff"

It is pretty safe to assume that those people who play in the leagues like them.
ichbinsehselber
Tank
Tank

Postby SmackCakes » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:32 am

ichbinsehselber wrote:Some people like me like the old leagues. They have variety and "stuff"

If by 'variety' you mean... Broken player stats, glitches where players can't drop out, being unable to progress because of stalling opponents, being robbed of hard earned wins because of boot, impossible random CO mismatches, endless games in permanent snow, tired map pools and insufficient ban lists... Then yes the old leagues have all that.

The old leagues were a first attempt. The system had its good points but it also had many bad points (mentioned above), which annoyed and frustrated people. Replacing the old leagues with a better system is something that has been discussed and planned since around 2008 IIRC. If there was any perceived lack of discussion about it, that is probably only because people already discussed it, and got fed up of discussing it years ago.
ImageImage
SmackCakes
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ichbinsehselber » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:26 pm

Well most of these problems seem to have be fixed.
Others have workarounds (e.g. can't drop out because you type your name one with capital letter and once without)
There are some minor issues with the old leagues but working in general.
ichbinsehselber
Tank
Tank

Postby Divva » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:28 am

actually i also think the old league is flawed.. but with some fixes it can be much better. anyway it's fun for some casual play (maybe it isn't originally designed for this).
Divva
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Mr--Clean » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:56 pm

SmackCakes wrote:
which annoyed and frustrated me.

fixd

Its true they have their weak points but that doesnt mean people dont like them.
Mr--Clean
Artillery
Artillery

Postby Walker » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:18 pm

No, what he said before was accurate. It frustrated a LOT of people, which is why you see 150 people in Global League and only 20-30 in any one league. That's why the majority of the top players don't play in old leagues. That's why Global League was made in the first place. Just because some people like them doesn't mean that there aren't a lot more people who don't.
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Grit Snipe » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:45 pm

A newbei League sounds nice but there is one problem:Alot of newbeis are inactive and sometimes no a lot of times newbeis never return to AWBW and thus ruin matches.So a newbei League sounds good but it has a giant flaw in it.
Well i'm a snipe loving Grit fan who loves Rocket.
Grit Snipe
Recon
Recon

Postby Kamuscha » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:51 pm

I don't think having a newbie league will benefit the players as some would think. For one thing, newbies playing with other newbies is most likely to result in games with some complexity, but not as much as those completed by veterans who put hours, days, or even months into their games. This comes through a difference in experience and it clearly shows in each game, with minimal consideration to some variables such as dedication, misclicks, and attention due to human error.

I'm not saying to give up on the idea, but I will point out some potential flaws to bring awareness of the new league's pitfalls were this to become implemented.

Also, all the newbies run the risk of getting trolled by pros like fdkanns. I doubt they'd enjoy that sort of "intensive thought process"...

If someone actually, truly wants to get better at playing Advance Wars, then one of the best ways to improve is to try your hardest against some of the strong players and discussing the game afterwards with them. It does NOT matter whether you win or lose. It is the game that counts. Nobody can absorb that kind of advanced thinking except through the players themselves who share it voluntarily.

Good luck with your games.

Well I'm a tank loving Max fan who loves trolling rockets.

I still love you! Tonight, your true love will realize they truly miss you. You will get a shock of a lifetime tomorrow. If you break the chain, you will be cursed with relationship problems for the next 2 years. Karma's a bitch, I know. If there is someone you love, and can't get them out of your mind, repost this paragraph as "I still Love you"
Kamuscha
CO
CO

Postby Mori » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:31 am

Kamuscha wrote:If someone actually, truly wants to get better at playing Advance Wars, then one of the best ways to improve is to try your hardest against some of the strong players and discussing the game afterwards with them. It does NOT matter whether you win or lose. It is the game that counts. Nobody can absorb that kind of advanced thinking except through the players themselves who share it voluntarily.

I play so many other games where this holds true. It is so hard to explain to people.

I test my own maps regularly, and I win and lose on my own maps. But I get better over time due to that practice, mostly against players who have hundreds more total games than I have. I am not a good player yet, but I am much better than I used to be. That is how it works in these kinds of games.
Mori
Tank
Tank

Previous

Return to AWBW Leagues