AW/FE by Web

AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Newbie League

Discussion about AWBW Leagues goes here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Newbie League

Postby Razorflamekun » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:34 pm

I think that this has not been brought up yet, but I would really like it if there were a league for newbies and players who aren't as good as other players to play in with a fairly diverse map pool.

The idea is to have a few good players mixed in with the newbies for each division and then have the newbies play against the better opponents to help them improve rapidly. The better players could also help to point out mistakes that the newbies make to help make them an even better player until, eventually, they can start to beat the better players regularly.

The map pool would have lots of the great 2 player maps including some from the best of the best, and some from the good 2 player maps category and the CO ban would be the usual broken ones GCKSH, along with Sturm, and Lord Volt so that the newbies don't have to deal with those two guys' CO powers and DTD stuff.

I don't know if this would work, but it would sure be awesome if it could :)
Razorflamekun
Infantry
Infantry

Re: Newbie League

Postby Walker » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:38 pm

Well the current Global AWBW League already functions along these lines. A new person will get games against more experienced players quickly, and can improve from that.

Also keep in mind that most good players don't particularly care to play games against new players who they just walk all over. :wink:
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Razorflamekun » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:46 pm

People who would rather not fight newbies because they believe they are too good to battle newbies makes me cry. Every time I hear that, an infantry capturing a HQ dies :(
Razorflamekun
Infantry
Infantry

Postby Walker » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:52 pm

Haha that's because you're thinking about it from a newbie's perspective. Why would a veteran player want to spend time on an easy game that has no challenge or interest for them? I think we're all on this site because we want to play good games, and a veteran player trashing a newbie doesn't qualify as that for the veteran player. :wink:

That being said, there are a lot of veteran players who do like to play games with new players and teach them. But a league format of that basic idea wouldn't work out well, and I doubt many veteran players would be interested. You can use the Opponent Search forum if you're interested in finding matches against players who are interested in helping newbies. You could also come hang out at the IRC channel for the site, there's usually people around willing to play games and give you some pointers.
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Razorflamekun » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:22 pm

walkerboh01 wrote:Haha that's because you're thinking about it from a newbie's perspective. Why would a veteran player want to spend time on an easy game that has no challenge or interest for them? I think we're all on this site because we want to play good games, and a veteran player trashing a newbie doesn't qualify as that for the veteran player. :wink:

That being said, there are a lot of veteran players who do like to play games with new players and teach them. But a league format of that basic idea wouldn't work out well, and I doubt many veteran players would be interested. You can use the Opponent Search forum if you're interested in finding matches against players who are interested in helping newbies. You could also come hang out at the IRC channel for the site, there's usually people around willing to play games and give you some pointers.

Thanks for the help, Walker :) I've actually joined several of the leagues already. I joined the AWBW Global League, the Speed Match league, the NO Co Power league, and one other one. Hopefully, I'll get some good games there. This thread can be closed now.
Razorflamekun
Infantry
Infantry

Postby YukiKitsune » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:37 pm

Those legaues are dead! Ask people for games on the forum and IRC!
YukiKitsune
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Razorflamekun » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:11 pm

YukiKitsune wrote:Those legaues are dead! Ask people for games on the forum and IRC!

Thank you for the help. I appreciate it!
Razorflamekun
Infantry
Infantry

Postby Walker » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:14 pm

The Global League isn't dead. The other ones are, but not the Global League!
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby YukiKitsune » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:03 pm

where is my lash!?
YukiKitsune
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Azzaphox » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:13 pm

its not a bad idea to have newbie league.
i found the regular leagues depressing because I could only very rarely win a game.
so a pool or softer opponents would be appealing
More Strategy, less Real Time
Azzaphox
Tank
Tank

Postby Hellraider » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:49 pm

Getting better in AWBW can be pretty hard because there are very few resources to learn from, and you basically have only yourself to rely on. Watching replays from or playing against people who are really a lot better does not help in my opinion, because it is not possible to comprehend their thought process without enough experience. So the best thing to do is to play games and spend enough time on the turns, trying to think through them, and reviewing the replay to recognize mistakes afterwards. The Global League should be a good start since you will both have losing games where you can learn from your mistakes, and games where you find out how to win.
Additionally you can always ask either specific questions or just for general pointers in the forum. Just don't trust anyone who claims that it is all about artillery walls.
Hellraider
Rocket
Rocket

Postby fdkanns » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:23 pm

Azzaphox wrote:its not a bad idea to have newbie league.
i found the regular leagues depressing because I could only very rarely win a game.
so a pool or softer opponents would be appealing

same here.
I'd really appreciate something like a newbie league to face more opponents of my skill level
fdkanns
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Postby Heartless » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:18 pm

please, kanns, only assholes have exagerated underconfidence as a defining trait
Heartless
Md. Tank
Md. Tank

Postby blanci1 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:59 pm

@heartless... of course fdkanns is not an asshole though he sure as hell kicks ass in play !
@fdkanns ... why not support the old leagues a bit, you clearly like playing in them
@walker.... plenty of people play in the usual leagues...how the hell can you pronounce them dead just because you dont like them
@razor... a newbie league is a great idea which i suggested years ago but tyrael slagged it off unreasonably even though he had given up playing
.......we should have a proper advanced player league too... where the conditions are decided by debate
Last edited by blanci1 on Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
blanci1
Artillery
Artillery

Postby Walker » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:31 am

@walker.... plenty of people play in the usual leagues...how the hell can you pronounce them dead just because you dont like them

Actually blanci, people only play in them because it used to be the ONLY way to get automated games. And it was the ONLY competition on the main site. It's not a matter of whether I personally like something or not. It's a matter of making improvements. Honestly, you need to just give it a rest with the panic attacks every time anything changes. Just. Stop. It. Thanks.
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Next

Return to AWBW Leagues