AW/FE by Web

AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Team League

Discussion about AWBW Leagues goes here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Team League

Postby Mr--Clean » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:31 pm

Since all the other leagues are all one on ones I think a team league would be a pretty cool change of pace. Also it would might be able to make a lot better use of the division system by always paring you up with somebody in your division. That way you could have individual stats with everyone trying to be #1 and each division competing to be the number 1 team. Is this possible to pull off?
Mr--Clean
Artillery
Artillery

Re: Team League

Postby Kamuscha » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:44 pm

Sounds like a great idea. The first and foremost concern coming off the top of my head is that players will not be happy if teammates drop out during a game. Although it is the responsibility of the teams to work together, I doubt anyone would be willing to play should their teammate get booted for no reason. Because of this, 2 vs 2 games will behave as 1 vs 1 as soon as one player from either team starts to hold back the game.

As with all competitive games, active gameplay is encouraged. It is simply stressed further in 2 vs 2 as the stakes are higher for both teams.

But team games invite a unique brand of strategy that is not found in 1 vs 1, so I support the idea.

I still love you! Tonight, your true love will realize they truly miss you. You will get a shock of a lifetime tomorrow. If you break the chain, you will be cursed with relationship problems for the next 2 years. Karma's a bitch, I know. If there is someone you love, and can't get them out of your mind, repost this paragraph as "I still Love you"
Kamuscha
CO
CO

Postby marxistplot » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:46 pm

It's definitely possible.. probably the only reason there isn't one is because it would take allot of work and time to get it made and functional.
Time the coders could spend on better/more important projects, like taking out the rng or playing nethack.
marxistplot
Recon
Recon

Postby forbs » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:45 pm

This was already discussed on irc. If someone can actually organize it(very time consuming) and figure out a way to make it look official(not half-assed), then it's doable. However I don't agree with individual rankings. There should be a team ranking and team-mates are permanent like SC2 team ladder. This makes for more accurate rankings without all the other complications.
Zovea wrote:[20:51] Zovea: You voted for me cause you don't like me
- Speed Mafia 8
forbs
Recon
Recon

Postby YukiKitsune » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:56 pm

If I can play Lash then I'm in.
YukiKitsune
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Mr--Clean » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:41 am

forbs wrote:This was already discussed on irc. If someone can actually organize it(very time consuming) and figure out a way to make it look official(not half-assed), then it's doable. However I don't agree with individual rankings. There should be a team ranking and team-mates are permanent like SC2 team ladder. This makes for more accurate rankings without all the other complications.

I wouldnt know how to do something like that though Id be willing to help/do it if someone taught me how.

I kind of like the idea of random teams since you could always find a buddy and make a game no league necessary but random partner match ups would make it a lot more interesting since you would have to quickly get to know the other person and switch up your play style to match his play stylye/your co/his co while your buddy and your enemies are doing the same. Theres always the risk of being teamed up with an idiot/inactive but I think most the time it would run pretty smoothly.
Mr--Clean
Artillery
Artillery

Postby YukiKitsune » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:08 am

I might give it a shot at starting one up. Just give me a bit of time to get it all sorted out.
YukiKitsune
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby forbs » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:34 pm

@Mr.clean: No because if it's random teams, the chances of teaming up with an idiot is extremely high. There's also no commitment with random teams where as fixed teams would at least know each other and will be more committed because of that. I can see random teams going terribly with little to no teamwork and every game having at least 1 drop.
- Speed Mafia 8
forbs
Recon
Recon

Postby Kamuscha » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:36 am

"who are you, wtf did you buy that missile for? stop blocking my unit placements, why u cover my base? you coulda shot the north tank instead of the eastern one, hello, there's a neutral city still standing next to your base" are all rare but potential outcomes that may result from having a random partner.

"hey bro, let's' divvy up the cities 45/55 so I can buy 2 tanks every turn, what u think of combining forces to take over the western side? how about u get that base instead of me and I get ur airport cause i have sensei" are all rare but possible outcomes that may result from having a well-known partner.

Just my bent 2 cents. 8)

I still love you! Tonight, your true love will realize they truly miss you. You will get a shock of a lifetime tomorrow. If you break the chain, you will be cursed with relationship problems for the next 2 years. Karma's a bitch, I know. If there is someone you love, and can't get them out of your mind, repost this paragraph as "I still Love you"
Kamuscha
CO
CO

Postby marxistplot » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:41 am

My experience with league of legends says FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THINGS SWEET ON PLANET EARTH DO NOT MATCH TEAMS RANDOMLY

But that's just imo
marxistplot
Recon
Recon

Postby Mr--Clean » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:31 pm

Instead of random partners it would chose a partner within your division. If the division are small enough youll keep playing with the same 7 people over and over again against different opponents. That way it wouldnt be truly random since you would have played many games with that guy. You might groan when you get that one annoying guy on your team but lets face it, you already do that when you get sonja for your co.
Mr--Clean
Artillery
Artillery

Postby forbs » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:42 pm

Mr--Clean wrote:Instead of random partners it would chose a partner within your division. If the division are small enough youll keep playing with the same 7 people over and over again against different opponents. That way it wouldnt be truly random since you would have played many games with that guy. You might groan when you get that one annoying guy on your team but lets face it, you already do that when you get sonja for your co.

You. Me. I challenge you to a duel sir! For honour!! :evil:
Spoiler!

P.S. Let Kit think of something such as the one you mentioned.
- Speed Mafia 8
forbs
Recon
Recon

Postby Mr--Clean » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:05 pm

Very well I accept your challenge sir.
Mr--Clean
Artillery
Artillery

Postby forbs » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:46 pm

So what do you have to say to everyone Mr.Clean?
- Speed Mafia 8
forbs
Recon
Recon

Postby Mr--Clean » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:01 pm

I suck at infantry spam maps :wink:
Mr--Clean
Artillery
Artillery

Next