AW/FE by Web

AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

AWBW Global League Maps

Discussion about AWBW Leagues goes here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Re: AWBW Global League Maps

Postby Felix45 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:44 pm

by the time you have 10 or 11 tanks on the field, all of the ground is pretty much covered, unless it is the biggest map ever. It is much more useful to have 110/110 units than 100/100 and 1.1k funds per city. You will find this especially true in infantry fights. Having higher defense than normal is better than anything, which is why VB and Sturm are so good. If you think killing tanks on mountains would be difficult, that is what you have to do d2d when you face VB and he puts a tank on a city.

I personally would take VB over Sasha any day of the week.
[23:09] <Gabo> hey guys, i have a question
[23:09] <Gabo> is it possible to transfer games from one account toanother on steam?
[23:09] <felix45> fire away lotion master
[23:10] <felix45> ROFL
[23:10] <Gabo> =_=
[23:10] <felix45> sorry I cant let that go :P
[23:10] <felix45> oh and I dont think so gabo
[23:10] <Gabo> the worst part is that i do like lotions <_<
Felix45
CO
CO

Postby Walker » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:47 pm

Sasha's advantage comes from the fact that she can gain good early positioning and sometimes even a bigger funds advantage than usual due to her early vehicle advantage. The main question in a Sasha/VB game is whether the VB player can do well enough early on to make it to the mid and late game. I think if a Sasha/VB game gets to the upper stages, VB will almost always win. It's an interesting matchup nonetheless, and it was a move that needed to be made.
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby marxistplot » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:20 pm

I think part of the reason i think differently is that Hellraider and Felix are better players then me, and high level play has allot less trades.

In my experience with the game, there are allot of early tank battles and the kinds of buildups you guys are talking about very rarely happen.. When the game revolves around capitalizing on your opponents mistakes more then minimizing your own and there are allot of early trades, ANY kind of innate funds advantage feels like it's worth Grimms attack and Sturms defense..

I still think with well timed cops and early map control Sasha has the advantage, but i see where you guys are coming from.
marxistplot
Recon
Recon

Postby Walker » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:39 pm

New maps have been added, first post has been updated. Afternoon Tea was taken off because of STA issues though...
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Kamuscha » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:38 pm

Sasha may be a good CO in most situations, but she fails hard in terms of power matches. In that case, Sturm, VB, Max are usually the ones that win out late game. Bringing com towers into the mix has made it possible for offensively-inclined COs to gain prominence unlike Sasha whom is more defensively-inclined. I really would rather have ten 130/100 tanks over eleven 110/100 tanks. Having to deal with all that damage is nothing to scoff at.

I still love you! Tonight, your true love will realize they truly miss you. You will get a shock of a lifetime tomorrow. If you break the chain, you will be cursed with relationship problems for the next 2 years. Karma's a bitch, I know. If there is someone you love, and can't get them out of your mind, repost this paragraph as "I still Love you"
Kamuscha
CO
CO

Postby Walker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:57 am

This post was originally in AWBW CO Tier List, but I'm moving my reply because it belongs better here.

Felix's post: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13797&start=45#p244788

Felix45 wrote:When/where was the discussion for changing the tiers for COs? In IRC? I think we should try discussing things like this before they are changed, just to see what the general opinion is of the community.

No, it was discussed privately by the Map Committee members, who are in charge of the league maps and settings. You also do realize, I assume, that if we waited to get the community's general opinion of every change we want to make, nothing would ever get done. Perfect example of this: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=13805.

Felix45 wrote:Anyways I think adding low tier games would be nice...

I assume you mean adding them to the league? 10 of the 19 league maps have low tier settings, which is quite a few. In comparison 11 of the 19 maps have top tier settings. People told us they enjoyed low tier the least, so we're using less of those than others where there is a choice between using two settings.

Felix45 wrote:Though she won't see much use in top tier, I have a feeling now all high tier games will be dominated by Sami because she is so much better on maps with lots of contested properties.

She was moved to high tier only on a few maps. They are:

Aphotic Arena
Bible Black
Blood on my Hands
Highway to Hell
nb4DS
Nightmares Echo in my Head
Shadows chase you endlessly
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Felix45 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:52 pm

Well, I am not one who makes or looks at many maps, so I didn't have any suggestions. I think from the lucky COs debate recently though that to say it isn't worth it to get the community's opinion is silly. People are obviously interested in the league settings (especially me).

Hmm well maybe putting sami in high tier on those maps wasn't so bad after all. The only map I see sami could be a problem on is nb4ds, but I'm not too sure about that. I still stand by what I said on bible black, with the corners and the center properties, having strong infantry with good capture rate will be a major advantage.
[23:09] <Gabo> is it possible to transfer games from one account toanother on steam?
Felix45
CO
CO

Postby Walker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:04 pm

I think from the lucky COs debate recently though that to say it isn't worth it to get the community's opinion is silly

Of course it's worth it to get the community's opinion. That's why I posted the changes here. But I posted them only after we made them. It would be silly to try to get a general consensus on things before doing them, because nothing would happen. Even then, a general consensus is often not possible (see luck debate) or could just be plain wrong (see SmackCakes post in the thread I linked above).

The entire reason the Map Committee exists is because the members are supposedly the people most able to make the decisions regarding maps and settings. If we consistently do a bad job, then I assume more knowledgeable people will let us know, and then they can be in charge. :wink:
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Felix45 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:51 am

Well obviously getting a consensus will be impossible. But that isn't the point of having the discussion. The point should be to explore options available, see what the opinions are, and find which would fit best.

You cant rule out the opinions of people who aren't on the committee simply because they aren't on the committee. There are plenty of knowledgeable and skilled players who are not on the map committee. For example, before max was moved up a tier on a few maps, there was discussion on where max belonged for certain maps, and I don't believe this was first brought up by any map committee member. It is ok to ignore what is said and go ahead and do whatever is decided best, but at least before doing changes, putting what the proposed changes will be so they can be discussed is worth it.
Felix45
CO
CO

Postby Walker » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:43 pm

It is ok to ignore what is said and go ahead and do whatever is decided best, but at least before doing changes, putting what the proposed changes will be so they can be discussed is worth it.

Alright, I agree with that. It is very easy for me to post proposed changes and leave some time for people to talk about it before making the changes. Just as long as you understand that the discussion of the changes may have little or no impact on what changes are being made. As a committee we'll still do what we think is best, but if other people have good, helpful points to add to a discussion, then that would be great.

In my experience, it generally hasn't been worth the effort in the past to ask for community opinion before doing things. Like in the map nomination thread, people usually don't care one way or the other.
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Glenstorm » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:33 pm

Down with the cloak and dagger policy of the corrupt and privileged elite. No longer will they hide behind their veils of secrecy and red tape! Demand an audit of the map committee!

Spoiler!
Glenstorm
CO
CO

DoR Friend Code: 081728 - 768873

Postby Walker » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:51 pm

That's how most discussions on the site go, period. :(
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Frostylight » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:56 am

Granted, you do hope for valuable contributions and opinions to validate your proposals. You may get this sometimes, though not every time.

Know this for a fact: If the whole AWBW gaming experience did not see your improvements or proposals put in action, you would see this by a huge decline of numbers and players leaving the site. I think it speaks for itself - if you implement something useful and valuable, the evidence is that people are making use of it.

Take the league for example. It went from just a handful of players to well over a hundred, with about maybe a third (or less) of those being active on the forum on a consistent basis.

A thought: Asking the broad general question of "do you have any issues or problems with ____ ?" is kind of scary to answer. Often, the answer isn't always clear. If it was narrowed down a little, such as "What are your thoughts on this part of (specify suggestion)? and basically provide a subject to start with.

Spoiler!

Also: What is the difference between ignorance and apathy?
Spoiler!
Frostylight
Battleship
Battleship

Looking for a "N" shaped map

Postby tmassing » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:01 am

I've been looking for a map that was on FOW League. One guy starts in bottom left. Other starts in top right. There is a road shaped like an "N" that connects them. And mountains and some shoal between. Anyone know the name? Thanks in advance. please message me in aw: Madd Maxx.
tmassing
Infantry
Infantry

Postby Abroxas » Wed May 23, 2012 9:20 am

Atlas is going to be tiresome. This is like the third or fourth time I'm playing on this map, most of the time with low tier picks available, but somehow Max is in there. So all my opponents picked Max and after some serious beat ups I'm also constantly choosing Max. Is anyone else contineously experiencing Max mirrors on this map?
If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
Abroxas
Tank
Tank

PreviousNext

Return to AWBW Leagues