AW/FE by Web

AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

AWBW Global League

Discussion about AWBW Leagues goes here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

AWBW Global League

Postby Glenstorm » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:54 am

I felt the old leagues had quite a few glaring flaws that made them somewhat unfun to play in, specifically the unfairness of random COs and the very wonky rating systems, so I created a new league that addresses these problems and adds quite a few new features.

I won't go into much detail, because seeing what questions people have is an important part of the testing, but the league can be found here http://awbw.amarriner.com/newleague.php. There are already roughly 30 people participating, and a lot of games running. Try it out, it has a lot of cool features and improvements over the old leagues. If you have any questions or ideas on improvement, please post here - a lot of hard work has gone into this and we want it to be as cool as possible (I am aware people don't like waiting the 3 days for games to start, and will eventually add a ready button that when pressed by both players starts the game immediately).

Obligatory Disclaimer: This is still in beta phase, there has already been an alpha and an irc beta, and things have been running fine for a while now, but there's always the potential for something to go a little bit wonky.

Edit: I'm totally not sold on this name for the league either, and am open to suggestions for cooler names for the actual release.

FAQ

Q: What is the league?

Q: How do I control how many league games I am playing?

Q: How do I select my CO?

Q: How does the league choose who I play?

Q: How does the league choose what map I play on?

Q: How do I start my games?

Q: What happens if I get booted?

Q: Can I see who else is playing in the league?
Glenstorm
CO
CO

DoR Friend Code: 081728 - 768873

Re: AWBW Champions League

Postby Walker » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:30 am

Thanks Glen, you're the best! :D

Regarding names, there have been a few suggestions to pop up. My favorite is Global AWBW League, and Official AWBW League is good too (we'd have to change the old Official AWBW League's name though). AWBW Champions' League is okay, but as Hellraider mentioned to me, it's basically just a soccer rip-off.

Regarding new features, I just have two suggestions (in addition to the ready button, which is a good idea).
- A "veto map/settings" option that allows people to designate a small number (3-5) of map settings that the league won't generate games for them on
- A "Game History" addition to the main league page that keeps track of your finished and current games (like what is there on the old league profile pages)

Finally, I want to officially request a separation of the League records and ratings from other official games. This could mean that either the old ratings (on main profiles, not for the old leagues) are wiped and the League is the sole source of official games, or that a secondary scoreboard for the league that only shows league results is created in addition.

Edit: Also, if we could separate the Champions' League from the old leagues on the forum, that would be helpful. Then people won't confuse threads for the old leagues with threads for the Champions' League.
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Hellraider » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:46 am

walkerboh01 wrote:Global AWBW League

I'd prefer that name too.

walkerboh01 wrote:Finally, I want to officially request a separation of the League records and ratings from other official games.

Seconded. It would be very nice to have a setup similar to the old leagues, without the divisions.
Last edited by Hellraider on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellraider
Rocket
Rocket

Postby airob » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:04 pm

i Ditto hellraider.

walkerboh on PM: Also it isn't a tag game either. Were you
drunk when you made this? haha

<@FCK> I just used scissors on some ass till they bled had just now
<@FCK> *hard

<Fanboy> doood
<airob> ?
<Fanboy> r u trying to seduce me O_O

<Walker> at least fdk only fucks with me

<Mr--Clean> well theres a new country
<Mr--Clean> called bare flesh
<Walker> Sounds hot. The HQ is probably a dick
airob
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Heartless » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:35 pm

[13:32] Walker hey heartless go post "ditto" in the league thread
[13:32] Walker let's just barnstorm it with map committee solidarity

just for that, I disagree with the name
Heartless
Md. Tank
Md. Tank

Postby Cereal Killer » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:37 pm

We should call it the English Premiere League I think. I also like the ideas Walker posed, so yeah. And of course I like the ready button idea. :)
Cereal Killer
CO
CO

Location: Taking a temporary vacation from hell to go to college

Postby Ultra Storm » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:38 pm

walkerboh01 wrote:Regarding names, there have been a few suggestions to pop up. My favorite is Global AWBW League, and Official AWBW League is good too (we'd have to change the old Official AWBW League's name though). AWBW Champions' League is okay, but as Hellraider mentioned to me, it's basically just a soccer rip-off.
I agree. It's a soccer rip-off and implies that all the participants are champions already. AWBW Championship League, for instance, would already be an improvement. Global AWBW League also sounds good, although all the leagues are technically global.
walkerboh01 wrote:Regarding new features, I just have two suggestions (in addition to the ready button, which is a good idea).
- A "veto map/settings" option that allows people to designate a small number (3-5) of map settings that the league won't generate games for them on
- A "Game History" addition to the main league page that keeps track of your finished and current games (like what is there on the old league profile pages)
Agreed.
walkerboh01 wrote:Finally, I want to officially request a separation of the League records and ratings from other official games. This could mean that either the old ratings (on main profiles, not for the old leagues) are wiped and the League is the sole source of official games, or that a secondary scoreboard for the league that only shows league results is created in addition.
I agree. The official records are inaccurate and glitched, as well as outdated.
Your notion of ”right” is what was imprinted in you since you were young.
Ultra Storm
CO
CO

Postby Glenstorm » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:57 pm

What kind of inaccuracies and glitches are you talking about? I haven't made any changes to the official game system, so if there's some bugs in it I need to fix them.
Glenstorm
CO
CO

Postby Walker » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:43 am

I think he might mean how Nyvelion shows up on the scoreboard twice, or how Kamuscha shows up 3 times. There isn't a problem with the official game system itself as far as I know, but the scoreboard is a bit screwy. If you just clean out the people whose games are set to 0, that would help.
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Ultra Storm » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:17 am

Glenstorm wrote:What kind of inaccuracies and glitches are you talking about? I haven't made any changes to the official game system, so if there's some bugs in it I need to fix them.
At some point (for the older tournaments), not all of the results affected the official scores, so they are inaccurate, even if the system was working now.

In addition to the inaccuracies, another matter is the fact that the official records are mostly ancient, so they don't describe current skill very well.
Your notion of ”right” is what was imprinted in you since you were young.
Ultra Storm
CO
CO

Postby Walker » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:56 pm

I think it'd also be nice to receive a notification when the league has made a new game for you. I know that not everyone checks their "Your Games" page regularly, and so they might miss a new game being created and end up with a random CO.

It could be something as simple as "New!" popping up next to the "Your Games" page when you have a new game, similar to what happens when you receive a new PM. And if people don't like it, you could include an option to turn it off on the main league page.
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Glenstorm » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:41 am

Dumped an FAQ onto the original post, walker wrote the majority of it, added/clarified/corrected a few bits. I think it covers most of the questions people have asked.
Glenstorm
CO
CO

Postby Walker » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:36 am

Nice, it looks good. I think it'd be worthwhile to put a link to the FAQ on this page as well. It will be especially nice when the league goes live on the site.
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby fdkanns » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:22 am

- The two players' ratings must be within +/- 20% of each other
- Available players who have the closest ratings are paired together first
- Two players cannot play each other twice in a row

General question:

What happens if there is no other player within the +/- 20% ?
e.g. some random n00b like me plays 50 games at once and loses all of them (as one would exspect me to)

note: other very good/bad players might drop out after a while which could lead to a similar situation.
fdkanns
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Postby Walker » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:54 am

Keep in mind that +/- 20% is a pretty big range. A person at 800 can play people between 640 and 1000. A person at 600 can play between 460 and 750. At 1000, you play between 800 and 1250. If you end up over 1250, and there's no one higher than 1000, then you are probably just that much better than those people and shouldn't be playing them anyways. Most people will end up between 650 and 1200 though i think.

And it's almost impossible for someone to get out of that range just by winning or losing all their games anyways. As you go farther up/down, you play progressively better/worse people. So if you keep winning, the impact that each win has on your rating decreases progressively. I don't even know if it's possible to win or lose your way out of the 20% range, but even if you can it's a very extreme case.

As for the case of everyone near you dropping, that isn't a problem either. Let's say you're at 1250 and everyone within your range just quits the league all on the same day. Well now those sub-1000 people aren't getting beaten by the people who were above them, and their ratings will begin climb. So you'd have games again pretty quickly.

It's a good system. The only bad thing is that you need a certain number of games before the ratings begin to stabilize a bit...
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Next

Return to AWBW Leagues