AW/FE by Web

AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Unfair Fog League Maps

Discussion about AWBW Leagues goes here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Unfair Fog League Maps

Postby blanci1 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:24 am

Two maps need review in Fog league AND more new maps are needed.

Benbever stumbled across one problem recently (posted as a bug)
http://amarriner.com/awbw_forum/viewtopic.php?t=11049
-- i quite like the map as is (tyraels "build your own battle")
http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=32735
... its a pity the leagues mostly work in the same way . For example :?: is it not possible to have a league where COs can be banned on a map by map basis.??
Many of the best and most interesting maps have some peculiar feature which means there might be one extra bannable CO (in addition to the usual 5), often sami being too strong (remember poor popular stonebridge which had to be removed) or , here, max s artillery being too weak.
Or what about a league where you can choose your own CO?
Actually build your own battle and stonebridge would presumably be fair in the NO-cO-powers league . :idea:

Another map ("rainy")
http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=37505
while having originality re: shallow lakes , has terribly exposed HQs right on the frontline !! What a stroke of luck for anyone getting Sami.
Especially in Fog. Fortunately my opponent doesnt have sami.
Even without sami this seems to be a pretty extreme and unnatural place to put an hq, which surprisingly passed un-noticed by the various reviewers. On other occasions central HQs get criticised even when protected by pipe and misiles.
http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=37645
Well , i would prefer those hqs a bit further back. Or should we just accept that as a valid map concept : "unprotected frontline HQs !" ...fog is crazy enough anyway !!

The FOG league desperately needs some more maps, it has 8 and could soon be down to 6 due to above. Even fairly mundane standard maps will do fine, because in fog almost anything becomes tense !

For a start, we could have all the S rank maps in the fog league ......its boring with so few maps ...... and whats the point of a map being S ranked and not getting maximum useage? are we saving them for a rainy day? even if theyve been in leagues before they havent been in the fog league which can be quite different gameplay.
blanci1
Artillery
Artillery

Postby Taz » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:02 pm

There is a league where you can pick your CO... it is called the ladder :)
Leagues are not a place for fair battles, unfortunately, because of the way they are made.

Build your own battle has to be removed, it's known already. I do not have the power to do this, however.

Rainy's HQ is exposed, but not that exposed. Sturm and VB are a challenge for Sami. And, let me say this: exposed HQ are an interesting feature and add to the map.
So, you think you're good at AWBW?
Join the ladder and challenge the best!
Taz
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Harti » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:50 pm

I ~somehow~ agree with removing Rainy from FOW league and putting it into another.

But to be honest, in my opinion way too less games have been decided by HQ capture in L8. If I remember correctly, I was once beat by HQ rush, and one other person. And maybe now you (bianci), dunno.

So the main problem (the HQ rush) has only occured in 3 games out of approx. 2 dozens. :)

The trick in FOW is to see anticipate possible problems and to build/move units against them.
The IRC wrote:[23:17] <Glenstorm> I'm just a jerk
[23:17] <Glenstorm> why do you listen to me
[00:39] <Smacky> I think loli should be illegal
[00:39] <Smacky> and star craft
[21:22] <airob> i´ll brb in some minutes...i´m doing some pies
[21:22] <airob> :P
Harti
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby benbever » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:56 pm

The map "build your own battle" needs to be removed from the leagues until fixed, and it doesn't belong in the FOW league anyway, it's not a FOW style map.

I like Rainy, and HQ capture is fun. Sami is a good co on other maps too, not just HQ capture maps ;)

L8 needs more maps.
benbever
CO
CO

Postby Tyrael » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:23 pm

benbever wrote:The map "build your own battle" needs to be removed from the leagues until fixed, and it doesn't belong in the FOW league anyway, it's not a FOW style map.

I like Rainy, and HQ capture is fun. Sami is a good co on other maps too, not just HQ capture maps ;)

L8 needs more maps.

QFT. Actually it needs to be removed from the leagues IN ORDRE TO BE fixed. :P
Ultra Storm wrote:Winking is futile.
Tyrael
Fighter
Fighter

Postby Dhomochevsky » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:04 am

Rainy is an excellent map and the HQ position didn't go 'unnoticed' by reviewers, it's a good feature of the map!!
benbever wrote:Financial crisis on awbw: everybody goes on vacation.
Dhomochevsky
Fighter
Fighter

Return to AWBW Leagues