AW/FE by Web

AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

for ratings, how much does a loss by boot count?

Discussion about AWBW Leagues goes here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

for ratings, how much does a loss by boot count?

Postby Felix45 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:13 pm

im curious because for whatever reason I have a lower rating than sulla in the AW1 league, but I have more wins and less losses than he does. my very first loss in that league is a loss by boot which makes me think this is why maybe my rating is significantly lower then what it should be probably but I really dont know.

or maybe people continually are booted from my games whereas sulla hasn't had anyone lose by boot?

either way it shows me how there really is a problem and that people should gain rating even if they win by boot.
[23:09] <Gabo> hey guys, i have a question
[23:09] <Gabo> is it possible to transfer games from one account toanother on steam?
[23:09] <felix45> fire away lotion master
[23:10] <felix45> ROFL
[23:10] <Gabo> =_=
[23:10] <felix45> sorry I cant let that go :P
[23:10] <felix45> oh and I dont think so gabo
[23:10] <Gabo> the worst part is that i do like lotions <_<
Felix45
CO
CO

Postby benbever » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:13 pm

Yes they should. But this has been an issue ever since the leagues started. When the leagues were created a few people whom I shall not name were against "free wins" from boots, even though you invest play time, and most opponents get booted only after they see they are losing.

About 40%-50% of my opponents get booted, giving me a winpoint, but no rating. Most of them get booted in the middlegame after it's clear they'll lose. Only a few get booted on day 1 or early game.
I even had some people from the forum, whom I shall not name, who got themselves booted on purpose.

I don't think you lose rating for getting booted. I thought you were expelled from the league when you get booted. Didn't you when you got booted?

The rating system does work. But not when people get booted. Also when you lose against someone with a much higher rating, you'll lose as good as no points, and when you lose against someone with a much lower rating, you'll lose a lot of points. The same is true when you win. You might win against a good player who somehow has a low rating and you get almost no points, or you lose against a good player who somehow has a low rating and you lose a lot of points.

You probably had some boots, wins against players with low ratings and/or losses against players with low ratings. And sulla isn't that bad a player.
I'm also not #1 in every ratinglist (like it should be :P) because some people had more games, or games against high rating players and got a good co. The league is ment for fun, not to create a list.

You can also ignore the ratings and sort the list on win/loss/draw records.
benbever
CO
CO

Postby Felix45 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:29 pm

benbever wrote:I don't think you lose rating for getting booted. I thought you were expelled from the league when you get booted. Didn't you when you got booted?

yes but you can rejoin the league after you are booted. that is what I did after I got more time again to play. I was only ever booted from one game, and that was my very first game in the AW1 league.

as for sulla's skill, I'm fairly sure I can beat him and I believe I have played him and beat him, but that wasn't why I brought it up (sulla if this offends you I'll gladly play you. sorry if it does, it is just how I remember it is all.)
I brought it up only because I have less losses and more wins which wouldn't really make sense no matter how you look at it (even if I did continually win by boot and that was a major contributor).

chances are I probably just won a lot more games by boot and sulla probably won very few games by boot, which is the best explanation but I still feel considering everything I should have a higher rating. so yea turns out the issue here is probably just win by boot not counting towards rating.
[23:09] <Gabo> hey guys, i have a question
[23:09] <Gabo> is it possible to transfer games from one account toanother on steam?
[23:09] <felix45> fire away lotion master
[23:10] <felix45> ROFL
[23:10] <Gabo> =_=
[23:10] <felix45> sorry I cant let that go :P
[23:10] <felix45> oh and I dont think so gabo
[23:10] <Gabo> the worst part is that i do like lotions <_<
Felix45
CO
CO

Postby EchelonThree » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:39 pm

Rating, as said, is screwed up and should be reset.

You don't lose for getting booted, you don't gain rating against booted opponents

I lost a lot of matches due to FTA maps when I first came here, and yet, curiously enough,I'm below people who have less wins and more losses/
Kamuscha wrote:
nerd-boy wrote:Damn straight.
how is it straight if its been derailed? xD

Zovea on Rocket Armor
Zovea wrote:rocket armor isnt that much stronger than art armor anyways
EchelonThree
Rocket
Rocket

Postby mrapex » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:27 am

past day 8, game should be counted, regardless.

amarriner wrote:I'm always here. I come every day, but don't always post ... don't worry I'm not going anywhere.
mrapex
Md. Tank
Md. Tank

Re: for ratings, how much does a loss by boot count?

Postby ichbinsehselber » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:47 am

When boots happen in a game that is in a state like this:
http://awbw.amarriner.com/gamelog.php?games_id=140672
It is easy to say whether you are in favour of counting boots as wins...
ichbinsehselber
Tank
Tank

Postby Walker » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:35 am

Yeah some people are just dishonorable like that, and it's a flaw of the system. All I can say is that it's not worth your time getting worked up about it, no matter how frustrating it is.
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby psycho guy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:33 pm

w/l/d already covers everything

Your rating gets set to 800+10W-10L when you rejoin a league

Basically that trumps any rating gains that you can get from games, so anyone who wants to be a rating whore should just work on increasing their win count.

The displayed rating is meaningless when maximum rating for a player is 800+10W-10L.

This system also allows the total amount of rating available to increase: so there may be a point in time where ratings get so high that the top players start getting 100 rating per win or something crazy. (depending on how rating changes are calculated)
psycho guy
CO
CO

Return to AWBW Leagues