AW/FE by Web

AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Why do people drag on games?

Discussion about AWBW Leagues goes here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Why do people drag on games?

Postby Felix45 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:46 pm

like this? - http://awbw.amarriner.com/game.php?games_id=93710

so annoying...its just a waste of time really.
[23:09] <Gabo> hey guys, i have a question
[23:09] <Gabo> is it possible to transfer games from one account toanother on steam?
[23:09] <felix45> fire away lotion master
[23:10] <felix45> ROFL
[23:10] <Gabo> =_=
[23:10] <felix45> sorry I cant let that go :P
[23:10] <felix45> oh and I dont think so gabo
[23:10] <Gabo> the worst part is that i do like lotions <_<
Felix45
CO
CO

Postby rast » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:52 am

Happens all the time on this map. For example,

http://awbw.amarriner.com/game.php?games_id=91236

He resigned after 37 turns but it could easily have gone past 50. Good luck.
rast
Artillery
Artillery

Postby Felix45 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:48 pm

wow...yea that sucks. seriously that is a huge waste when people do that stuff...

well hopefully in my game after he uses his SCOP and realises he isn't going to win he'll resign
[23:09] <Gabo> hey guys, i have a question
[23:09] <Gabo> is it possible to transfer games from one account toanother on steam?
[23:09] <felix45> fire away lotion master
[23:10] <felix45> ROFL
[23:10] <Gabo> =_=
[23:10] <felix45> sorry I cant let that go :P
[23:10] <felix45> oh and I dont think so gabo
[23:10] <Gabo> the worst part is that i do like lotions <_<
Felix45
CO
CO

Postby Harti » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:31 pm

http://awbw.amarriner.com/game.php?games_id=93880

Seems to me that Mind Trap isn't worthy being S-Ranked because you can just switch to defense mode to survive 10 days longer until the income difference really begins to destroy everything.
The IRC wrote:[23:17] <Glenstorm> I'm just a jerk
[23:17] <Glenstorm> why do you listen to me
[00:39] <Smacky> I think loli should be illegal
[00:39] <Smacky> and star craft
[21:22] <airob> i´ll brb in some minutes...i´m doing some pies
[21:22] <airob> :P
Harti
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby rast » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:58 pm

imagine how much worse it would be if your opponent actually build from every factory every turn.

Mind trap isn't S rank IMO.
rast
Artillery
Artillery

Postby SmackCakes » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:23 pm

Harti wrote:http://awbw.amarriner.com/game.php?games_id=93880

Seems to me that Mind Trap isn't worthy being S-Ranked because you can just switch to defense mode to survive 10 days longer until the income difference really begins to destroy everything.

You guys just don't know how to play. If someone plays defensivly you can just crash straght through them and then use the fund advantage to make up your losses. It's a quick and easy win.

Thus...

There aren't enough funds behind the river for your opponent to replace their losses, and It's not like you are gonna lose points for technique by smashing your way through.

Mind trap is no worse than a million other maps, when some refuses to resign, and it's tiny anyway. I don't see why Rast is on some kind of crusade to prove that it is impossible to win. If you can't win faster then blame it on your own lack of aggression, not the map. map works how it's supossed to.
Last edited by SmackCakes on Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImage
SmackCakes
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby FunkyChunk » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:39 pm

If leagues could support capture limits, than that would sort out the issue right? Make it like 16 or 17 for that map
FunkyChunk
Artillery
Artillery

Postby Cereal Killer » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:40 pm

I never liked mind trap, the win is either very quick or extremely slow.
Cereal Killer
CO
CO

Location: Taking a temporary vacation from hell to go to college

Postby rast » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:55 pm

I'm not on a crusade, and I didn't start this topic. But since it came up, I'll give my opinion.

Neat animated gif. (What did you use to make it?) Now do one where the losing player actually uses his factories every turn, and isn't a complete moron.

Or take my game. Start at day 15, where it's pretty clear I have a lock on the 14-12 income advantage, and tell me what I should have done differently to win the game in less than another 40 moves. http://awbw.amarriner.com/replay.php?ga ... 236&ndx=28
rast
Artillery
Artillery

Postby SmackCakes » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:30 pm

rast wrote:I'm not on a crusade, and I didn't start this topic. But since it came up, I'll give my opinion.

Neat animated gif. (What did you use to make it?) Now do one where the losing player actually uses his factories every turn, and isn't a complete moron.

Or take my game. Start at day 15, where it's pretty clear I have a lock on the 14-12 income advantage, and tell me what I should have done differently to win the game in less than another 40 moves. http://awbw.amarriner.com/replay.php?ga ... 236&ndx=28

The animated gif was made using AWBW sceenshot. I agree that BM wasn't great but he did have 3 artillery and a rocket behind the bridge. My point was that by sacrificing a few of my own units to break the guard, the indirects actually offered very little resistance. It's not so different to Harti's game at all.

As for your game... by day 27 you had still only built 1 tank total. I don't see how it is my fault that you choose to sit on your fund advantage for 20 days and let your opponent mass rockets. You should have moved to strike ages ago. You were even Andy. Why were you not more agressive (charging hyper upgrade) then blow him apart with SCOP while you use you fund advantage to keep the pressure on by reinforcing your side of the meat grind faster. Like I said, it's just lack of aggression on your behalf that has allowed you opponent to dig himself in.
ImageImage
SmackCakes
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby blanci1 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:06 pm

if you are playing a good player why should a single city advantage give a quick win? i think you probly did quite well in the circumstances against tough defense and opponent. Its very hard to analise other peoples games sensibly, and ive never experienced such a high unit density game ... i think i always de-stabilise and force imbalances or concessions earlier. However there must be a million different ways to play that position.... i might suggest faster centralisation .. but perhaps theres a tough defense against that too. And perhaps buy a medium tank earlier to throw in the mix, and focus more on one zone at a time to get advantage from your space and mobility advantages.

Why not set up the game at that point and take challenges with you defending to see who can crash through the fastest !!?? i reckon on 10 days or less. That would be great fun and im sure everone wold be really interested to see the technique used by whoever crashed through fastest.
It could set a precedent for similar strategy and map trials too, theres more to aw than playing games. We should train too.
blanci1
Artillery
Artillery

Postby Tyrael » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:49 am

Even with a fund advantage, md tanks vs masses of indirects is a loss of money. The object isn't to throw the game, it's to go through the motions faster, without making a mistake that will allow your opponent a shot at a comeback.

As for Rast's game, perhaps Rast was playing in a less agressive manner than he could have been because he assumed the opponent would resign given a hopeless situation, and didn't want to risk his advantage?
Ultra Storm wrote:Winking is futile.
Tyrael
Fighter
Fighter

Postby Sothis » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:12 am

You have to admit it's pretty weird that, in an army that size, he has not a single direct except the just-built recon. I mean really? Even benbever, who is the master of artillery/footsoldier tactics, builds a few tanks to go with them. You really can't make the most effective attack if you limit yourself to two types of units plus footsoldiers.

Rast outplayed him and had a great defensive wall, but launching an attack with it would be a pain in the ass.
No one, not even you, can know your true potential if you are not harshly tested.
Sothis
Md. Tank
Md. Tank

Postby Hellraider » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:01 am

SmackCakes wrote:You guys just don't know how to play.

I lol'd hard.

Anyway, I think rast did a pretty good job in this game. After he got the fund advantage the unit count was pretty even and he did well in getting the next properties by outpositioning his opponent. Once there are enough meatshield and indirects on the field (which was the case) you can't throw tanks into the opponents army in order to break through a few turns later. And if the opponent would have played a bit better, he could have avoided the baselock (and held his properties longer) and last another 10 days without problems. Then rast would've needed to wait until the space limit (!) makes it impossible for the opponent to defend any longer.

Mind Trap as S-rank is another topic, I don't see what makes it better than the A-ranked maps.
Hellraider
Rocket
Rocket

Postby Haku » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:16 am

That's why I don't ban black bombs. No problems on any maps. (as long as they have an airport)
Ultra Storm wrote:The more useful the item is, the more useless it is.
Haku
Md. Tank
Md. Tank

Next

Return to AWBW Leagues