AW/FE by Web

AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Unit help needed for possible WWII AW clone

Talk about custom COs, units, classes, weapons or anything else.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Unit help needed for possible WWII AW clone

Postby LaserDatsun » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:17 pm

Hi guys! AW is one of my favorite games ever (the only thing wrong with imo is that it's not ww2) so lately I've been thinking about starting making a WWII turn based strategy game that would pretty much be a AW clone but in a WW2 setting, but since I'm more of a casual AW gamer with no real deep insight of the numbers I'd need some unit planning help for keeping the game as balanced as possible (I would not have so many CO's and ditch all the obviously OP CO's ).

The graphics would be cartoony 2d, probably inspired by battlefield heroes but with black outlines like traditional inked cartoons. I have coded a couple of games in As3/Flash so I would probably go that way, but it would be a hobby project so for starters I would probably only make a hot seat version or possibly (hopefully) some sort of play by email version (and only if I manage to get that far I'd start thinking about a final version with a database for "real" online multiplayer).

*** Preliminary thoughts about the units:

Infantry *riffle troops (same stats)
mech *anti-tank / assault sub machine gun troops (same stats)
Recon *armoured car (same stats) e.g. M3 Half-track
APC *Supply truck/Troop transport truck (same stats)
Artillery, Tank, Md.Tank (same stats)
Heavy Tank (same as neotank)
Rocket (same stats) e.g. stalin's organ.

*Naval units would be the same but I was thinking of removing black boat, or does the naval units need a repairing unit to remain viable? (e.g. in a recent war room game I feel I would never have been able to beat the AI without black boats).

*Air units would need a complete makeover (Except T-Copter that could be T-Plane). B-Copters could be turned into fighters but they would also need to be able to attack bomber-planes. The fighter in AW-sense would be removed. The bomber-aircraft should probably need to be made cheaper and weaker.

*Anti-Air units would possibly need to be re-thought since the "missile"-unit would have to be removed? Or perhaps by weakening the air units a little accordingly to ww2 would make the basic Anti-Air unit sufficient?

*removed units:
Mega Tank, Piperunner, Stealth, Black Bomb.
Possibly remove Black Boat?

*added units:
I would like to add tank destroyers (e.g. StuG.III) to land vehicles since they seemed to play a big part in ww2. Cheaper than MD-tanks but need to have a handicap like artillery (e.g need to turn in the right direction before being able to fire or something similar).

Any views or thoughts on the matter appreciated!

Cheers
LaserDatsun
Infantry
Infantry

Re: Unit help needed for possible WWII AW clone

Postby theether » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:36 pm

Naval units are rather useless in the AW as of now
meaning you'd rather not build many of them if you can avoid it, so maybe they'd need a makeover the most.

I feel the missile wouldn't be missed a lot, because it isn't used often anyway (only to lock airports to my knowledge)
but making the air units a bit weaker is still viable, as being able to ignore terrain is pretty good already.

It's always nice to see new TBS being made, so keep at it :D
If you're searching for inspiration, look at the other topics in the Customization thread, there are a lot of good ideas waiting
theether
Recon
Recon

Postby LaserDatsun » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:18 pm

Thanks for your comments theether! I will have a look at other ideas in the customization forum.

Oh :( hopefully someone would have some good ideas on how to make naval units more viable then so there could be games involving all types of units.

Well the game is still in the planning stage, but if all pieces fall into place with the planning of the units and some sort of multiplayer capability i will surely start programming it.
LaserDatsun
Infantry
Infantry

Postby airob » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:14 pm

Make maps heavily dependant on naval units. like setting fronts in isles surrounded by sea or with channels of sea. Contested properties on isles,etc. If it´s a custom thing you can always make naval units cheaper.

walkerboh on PM: Also it isn't a tag game either. Were you
drunk when you made this? haha

<@FCK> I just used scissors on some ass till they bled had just now
<@FCK> *hard

<Fanboy> doood
<airob> ?
<Fanboy> r u trying to seduce me O_O

<Walker> at least fdk only fucks with me

<Mr--Clean> well theres a new country
<Mr--Clean> called bare flesh
<Walker> Sounds hot. The HQ is probably a dick
airob
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby LaserDatsun » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:44 pm

Thanks airob, those would obviously both be good solutions to that specific problem.
LaserDatsun
Infantry
Infantry

Postby LaserDatsun » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:42 pm

Cool, I also found an interesting thread on this customization forum about a "gunboat" that probably would "liven up" the naval warfare.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=10864

I agree with Meta_Rexy's view:
We need a naval meatshield that's not too expensive. The Black boat is a bit pricey for a meatshield. The Gunboat fits this role perfectly.
It should be able to hurt cruisers because currently the only ship that cost effectively does that is the battleship.
Gunboats shouldn't be able to hurt battleships and carriers much though... Minor damage to battleships, subs, and carriers but good damage to cruisers and black boats would work well.
Hitting infantry is a good idea but it shouldn't be a tank of the water... It shouldn't be able to hit tanks and artillery hard, like infantry can't.
I'd leave the gunboat at 6000, the price in DoR, if the above points are considered. After all, we don't want gunboats to be more expensive than black boats. That's sorta pointless and they'd only be useful for hitting cruisers... They're supposed to be meatshields after all. Cheap but effective units.

Many thoughts and questions still in the air regarding the first post, so anyone having any thoughts feel free to comment :)
LaserDatsun
Infantry
Infantry

Return to Customization