AW/FE by Web

AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Nameless new property

Talk about custom COs, units, classes, weapons or anything else.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Nameless new property

Postby Mori » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:06 pm

All crap subject to change, came up with this in three seconds.

Nameless New Property.
1k fund income.
3 cover.
Heals your own units.

So far, just like a City.

If, after it has been captured, you have an infantry or a mech residing on it that has not done an action this turn (it can have moved there this turn though), that unit has the option to preform an action on the property. This action ends that inf/mech's turn and permanently turns the Nameless New Property to neutral. That property now no longer gives you income or heals your units, but still gives 3 cover. It's essentially an empty Missile Silo, and you've also used up the turn of a perfectly good infantry or mech.

However, you instantly gain 5k funds.

Think of it like a one-use mine or artifact of some sort.

Again, all numbers and stuff subject to change. There's no reason to put these on many maps, but at the same time, they could be really interesting. There's obviously potential problems with FTA in the sense that one player getting to their property first causes a half-turn of larger than normal fund imbalance, so mapping around that would be important, but again, it's merely a suggestion.
Mori
Tank
Tank

Re: Nameless new property

Postby Mr--Clean » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:01 pm

So its like a city that could fire a money silo? I think thats actually pretty cool since you obviously wouldnt want to fire it and get rid of a perfectly good city but you could use if youre afraid the enemy will start taking it next turn.
Mr--Clean
Artillery
Artillery

Postby Mori » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:59 pm

Yup. Scorched Earth tactics. Conversely, they could be placed far backfield, requiring you to pass up standard city funds now for more funds later. Makes the fund optimization and capture phase metagames more complex, which is my objective here.
Mori
Tank
Tank

Postby Walker » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:59 pm

I have to say, I really like the idea. :)
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Azzaphox » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:46 am

Just call the property 'The Bank' - if you want to take all the cash out at once you burn it down.
More Strategy, less Real Time
Azzaphox
Tank
Tank

Postby zaaps1 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:56 pm

Azzaphox wrote:Just call the property 'The Bank' - if you want to take all the cash out at once you burn it down.

Or Treasuries.

Also the instantaneous fund gain should be proportional to the funds per turn that it gives (5x) so that it'll still be viable in high funds.
zaaps1
Recon
Recon

Postby Felix45 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:19 pm

how about instead of those we call it a "weapons supply depot". Or something like that.
[23:09] <Gabo> hey guys, i have a question
[23:09] <Gabo> is it possible to transfer games from one account toanother on steam?
[23:09] <felix45> fire away lotion master
[23:10] <felix45> ROFL
[23:10] <Gabo> =_=
[23:10] <felix45> sorry I cant let that go :P
[23:10] <felix45> oh and I dont think so gabo
[23:10] <Gabo> the worst part is that i do like lotions <_<
Felix45
CO
CO

Postby Kamuscha » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:15 pm

Each day we receive a consistent stream of wonderful ideas for the game that would make things interesting.

What if we had a second version of "AWBW" where these could be implemented without affecting the current site?

I'd really like to see these ideas come into action.

I still love you! Tonight, your true love will realize they truly miss you. You will get a shock of a lifetime tomorrow. If you break the chain, you will be cursed with relationship problems for the next 2 years. Karma's a bitch, I know. If there is someone you love, and can't get them out of your mind, repost this paragraph as "I still Love you"
Kamuscha
CO
CO

Postby Walker » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:48 pm

Kam, the only thing stopping that from happening is that you haven't coded it yet. :wink:
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Felix45 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:51 am

hahaha....you guys ever hear of custom wars? LOLOL

Gipface took the community and convinced them that DoR is the s***.....its pretty funny how the whole thing happened. Tragic for those who invested so much into it, but hilarious for us whom spectated. XD
[23:09] <Gabo> hey guys, i have a question
[23:09] <Gabo> is it possible to transfer games from one account toanother on steam?
[23:09] <felix45> fire away lotion master
[23:10] <felix45> ROFL
[23:10] <Gabo> =_=
[23:10] <felix45> sorry I cant let that go :P
[23:10] <felix45> oh and I dont think so gabo
[23:10] <Gabo> the worst part is that i do like lotions <_<
Felix45
CO
CO

Postby headphone » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:08 am

Felix45 wrote:Gipface took the community and convinced them that DoR is the s***

...But it is...
If this community switched to DoR I would.
Mr Clean wrote:im curious as to why anybody would know what a gynacologist does off the top of their head
headphone
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Mori » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:51 pm

Kamuscha wrote:Each day we receive a consistent stream of wonderful ideas for the game that would make things interesting.

What if we had a second version of "AWBW" where these could be implemented without affecting the current site?

I'd really like to see these ideas come into action.

Felix45 wrote:hahaha....you guys ever hear of custom wars?

http://www.amarriner.com/awbw_forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=14289

Not to get off topic or anything, but that was my whole objective in that last thread. I found a focused and cohesive mod of custom wars that was different enough from AWBW to spark interest, controversy, etc here. I wanted to see how interested the community here was in putting these types of Advance Wars conversions into motion (or how opposed to it they would be to anything different). Trust me when I say that if I had more time and manpower, AHC (not unplugged) would be up and running online with regular tournaments and balance tests. As it stands right now we're still working on that (Kataiser, myself, and a few others), especially balance, and I'm still a full time student and worker, which limits my time. On top of that, we're already working on everything from Company of Heroes mods and maps, setting up Hinokakera CE tourneys, and training for upcoming Blazblue tourneys, to name a few. And I plan on heading out to Katsucon this weekend, so between that and BBCS:Extend being released in North America yesterday my week is pretty shot already.

It'll happen though. Give it time. We know specifically why Custom Wars failed, and we know how to avoid that.

I know one of the AHCs had a fantastic idea for a sea property cappable by Landers, Platforms if I remember right, which, again, is not a necessary component of every single map, but is a very interesting option for mapping, much like the property I described in the original post. No one actually allows Black Bombs in the vast majority of AWBW games but they're still in game.

The main problems stopping things from being added to AWBW, or much more realistically, creating a separate Advance Wars -style client like AHC or Custom Wars in general, are 1) balance, 2) the physical work and authority required to add it, and 3) resistance from the community to changing a working existing system.

-

Anyways. Yeah. I'll try to come up with more stuff like this regularly, even if it's only a thinking exercise, because it's always interesting to see how people react and add to them.

-

DoR had a solid story. Never played it enough to know if it was a good competitive game though.
Mori
Tank
Tank

Return to Customization