AW/FE by Web

AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

CO's With a Story

Talk about custom COs, units, classes, weapons or anything else.

Moderator: Forum Mods

CO's With a Story

Postby Serativale » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:55 pm

*Edited* I decided to model mines to be like Ryuu's,and I have one CO down for now. Again, I'll be happy to hear opinions.
*Edit#2* Fixed Scout's D2D. Removed the ability to bypass terrain and nerfed other bonuses.

Team Fortress 2 COs

Scout, The Relentless Pursuer
Scout is an Orange Star CO in charge of reconaissance in new areas of new countries. He rose within the Orange Star ranks with clear ambition and he has that same spirit to surprass every other CO to be the best. He is competitive by nature, a nature that he gained within his baseball career, and so doesn't work well with other COs. In time, he learned to rely best on himself whenever in enemy territory. Despite his competative nature, he prefers to compete in a baseball game rather than a full war. His best friend is a rocker named Leon, and the only CO he will ever trust completely.

He doesn't trust Garret, a refugee CO from Brown Desert.

Hits: Speed
Miss: Meatshields

Day to Day:
As a master of scouting the enemy territory, Scout's recons(110/100) move at an extra 2MP. Best at taking down easy but annoying targets, his recons gain an extra 10% bonus against infantry, mechs, transports, other recons, and indirects. He completely dislikes the absolutely slow units and so indirects, Medium Tanks, and mega tanks all lose 1MP.

CO gauge: xxxxXXXXX

CO power
Shut Out
Scout is very careful when it comes to advancing, as he believes in safety before confrontation. His units lose all offense and all vehicles(land, sea, and air) lose 3MP, but they cannot be attacked by the enemy.

SCOP Power
Home Run
Whether it be retreating or relentlessly running down targets, Scout does it best. All units gain MP according to how much HP they lost. Recon can bypass terrain and attack at 10HP.

Tags
Garret 115%
- Despite his suspicions, he admires Garret's ability to reinforce quickly.
Leon 115%
- The only CO he'll ever like.
All other CO's are at 90%

Power Activation
"Try and stop me!"
"No other CO gon' do this!"
"You gon' get shut down and shut out."

CO swap:
"Wait, we're swapping?!"
"I can't believe I'm doing this."

Victory:
"If you order now, I'll throw in a second beating absolutely free!"
"You just got dominated."
Last edited by Serativale on Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Objection!" - Phoenix Wright
Serativale
Infantry
Infantry

Re: CO's With a Story

Postby psycho guy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:40 pm

wtf more broken than sturm + aw1 max combined
psycho guy
CO
CO

Postby ichbinsehselber » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:56 pm

Nice idea, nice story

But as psycho guy wrote, this CO would need balancing to be a useful addition to AWBW!
ichbinsehselber
Tank
Tank

Postby Ryuu » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:32 am

The story is well done. The mechanics, however, are a little trickier.

MP is very fickle in AW, so you want to be careful at how to manipulate this parameter for your units. I think the Recon being able to move without terrain limitation is good enough (or have movement similar to Tanks on rough terrain). The extra damage is unnecessary, given that his Recons are already at 120/120. Another option is to have a slightly weaker bonus, but the Recons have to remain at 100/100. Since your CO is a footman, I don't see any reason for giving him a bonus with air units.

The CO Power effectively makes this custom CO's units invincible, ideal for capturing enemy buildings. For three stars, that's a lot of staying power. An alternative would be to have this ability effective only to a few units instead of all units, or consider another power.

The Super Power is simply put, incredible due to immense boost in MP all units gain, not to mention Recons being capable of OHKO against early units.

To sum it up, the game is lopsided in favor of this custom CO due to the early game advantage he can gain from his abilities.
"As long as I have the solid earth under my feet, I will never give up!" ~Rockman X

Prism Nova
http://www.amarriner.com/awbw_forum/vie ... php?t=4867

List of Custom COs
http://www.amarriner.com/awbw_forum/vie ... 5462#85462
Ryuu
Artillery
Artillery

Postby Serativale » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:11 pm

*Edit* I think Scout should be close to a balanced CO now. My second CO would be Garret.

Garret, The Rat Buried in the Sands

A Brown Desert CO in charge of a guerilla independent from the current government of Brown Desert. He excels at organizing his forces through the harsh desert landscape, or any terrain for that matter. Proud of his poor nation, he is willing to sacrifice himself to defend the country, which is constantly bullied by stronger nations. His advantage is their miscalculation of his abilities.

Dislike's Scout's overconfidence.

Hits: Overwhelming advantage
Miss: Power Hungry Nations

Day to Day:

As country, Brown desert only have its soldiers to rely on. Garret's infantry are (110/110) Garret lacks a lot of resources to take other enemies head on. All vehicles except for transports cost 25% percent more, but infantry and mechs cost 50% less... and transports 20% less. Garret relies mostly on his transports to defeat the enemy. APC's gain 1 MP and can carry up to three soldiers, but each soldier loaded decreases MP by one.

CO gauge: xxxxXXXXX

CO Power
Speedy Recovery
At the time of the most importance, Garret places his trust in his transports. APC's lose the loading disadvantage and can bypass terrain. All other transports can load an extra soldier. Soldiers then are (120/120).

SCOP Power
Trojan Horse
Brown Desert being a country of no national importance, Garret has learned to disguise his units well to avoid the enemy. Transports lose loading disadvantage, gain 2MP, and can go through enemy units. Infantry are (130/130)

Tags
Scout 115%
- Who knew the two could end up as a great duo?
Sami 110%
- More broken than the Eagle/Sami combo.
Eagle 110%
- Pass through the enemy... then bomb them?
Black Hole CO's 80%

Power Activation
"Rush to the headquarters!"
"Can't touch me."

CO Swap
"I'm sure you can take care of this"

Victory
"Man, that was close."
"Objection!" - Phoenix Wright
Serativale
Infantry
Infantry

Postby psycho guy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:32 pm

lololol lightning strike for 4 stars
psycho guy
CO
CO

Postby Ryuu » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:01 pm

I don't know... I'm not quite a fan of powers that involves "going through" terrain or enemy units. It is interesting how you offset the APC advantage with "weight" from extra Foot units loaded, yet the D2D effects are very situational. Let's look at it bit-by-bit...

Day-to-Day
Cost effects - 25% more on all other units (100/100) in order to have Foot-based units cost 50% less (110/110) and transports 20% less. This means you're hoping for an early flood attempt by means of acquiring key locations before the enemy does and hope to win through sheer numbers. In most cases, it's a very straightforward strategy without much effort... but it could bite back at you in smaller maps against opponents with significant staying power against infantry and mech.
APC effect - this could put you in a dilemna. While the APCs have a base move of 7 (correct me if I'm wrong, been awhile since I last played), loading the standard amount of 2 brings it to 5 MP (one less than standard, 2 less than Sami and Sensei?). Loading all 3 pulls it down to 4 MP, which could turn it into a tank bait. Simply put, I don't see the overwhelming advantage that can be acquired by a slower APC unit in exchange for bringing more Foot units.

COP
Offsetting the D2D loading disadvantage AND terrain costs for 4 stars, as well as all other transports being able to carry extra units... is a very big gamble. On one side, your opponent will anticipate use of this power and take out your transport units in advance or already have his key locations watched over. On the other end, you can reach areas inaccessible to APCs and be able to transport more units around.

Just one question... what happens to the APC when it gets stuck on a mountain and the COP wears off the following turn? Does it get stuck, or does the APC expire?

SCOP
I don't know about Brown Desert being an insignificant faction... Any nation in AW with significance are those that you play as- so Brown Desert does have importance in presence as far as community belief goes. Now the bonus move and going through enemy units at 9 stars... may sound cool on paper. In practice, however, doesn't sound as intimidating. There are some AW tactics that are already in use that lower this SCOP's value--

-chokepoints: the enemy is likely to plug it up really good. Even if your transports do get through it, it won't have the space to drop those 130/130 Foot units that you are currently proud off. You might just as well feed the opponent at this point.
-enemy territory: so your transports successfully bypass the wall of enemy forces blocking your path. It turns out, the enemy has better reach of you in his territory than outside and is likely going to soften up your units with his fresh forces in the same manner as above.
-wall of denial: there are times that the enemy blocking you has set up a wall so dense, not even the SCOP would help. It's more or less standard practice in AW to wall up that the only way this power can work is in maps with wide open spaces-- and only with marginal success even then.

Considering use of Andy against this custom CO, the early game may be a challenge. Andy would however have a good staying power and be able to drag the fight to the mid-game. Due to Andy's COP/SCOP, he's likely to save more funds for better units compared to Garret, who will have more expensive non-Foot, non-Transport units.

Garret would most likely be ideal in medium-large maps and starting with at least 2 bases to build from. He won't be a first-choice, however.
"As long as I have the solid earth under my feet, I will never give up!" ~Rockman X

Prism Nova
http://www.amarriner.com/awbw_forum/vie ... php?t=4867

List of Custom COs
http://www.amarriner.com/awbw_forum/vie ... 5462#85462
Ryuu
Artillery
Artillery

Return to Customization