AW/FE by Web

AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Mine Planter Unit

Talk about custom COs, units, classes, weapons or anything else.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Mine Planter Unit

Postby TruthSeeker » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:44 pm

Mine Planter

Cost: 10000
Primary Weapon: Mines (3)
Secondary Weapon: Machine Gun
Fuel: 50
Vision: 2
Movement type: Treads
Movement: 5

This unit is unique in the fact that it can plant mines in the field that are hidden from the enemy. After it moves, it can plant a mine beneath itself. When an enemy ground unit moves over the mine, the unit would immediately stop and take 3 damage (sort of like when a unit gets "trapped" in FoW.) Units can be destroyed, but your units could not be harmed by the mines.

It can also attack other ground units with its machine gun, but it's only the same strength as that of the Recon's.

This probably needs some modification (perhaps a price increase and change of movement or movement type), but it could have its uses, no?
"All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer
TruthSeeker
Recon
Recon

Location: At my computer, working on my new top secret project!

Re: Mine Planter Unit

Postby headphone » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:44 pm

Thats a great idea. Though, I would suggest some sort of counter unit, like some that could either see or remove the mine.
Mr Clean wrote:im curious as to why anybody would know what a gynacologist does off the top of their head
headphone
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby TruthSeeker » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:19 pm

headphone wrote:Thats a great idea. Though, I would suggest some sort of counter unit, like some that could either see or remove the mine.

Perhaps you're right. Maybe recons should be capable of spotting mines either within vision range?

Also, should Sonja be able to see all mines on the field (no matter what) when she uses her CO powers?

If you wanted to remove the mine, you could just keep moving your infantry and unnecessary units over where you suspect enemy mines are. :)
"All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer
TruthSeeker
Recon
Recon

Postby headphone » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:29 pm

TruthSeeker wrote:Perhaps you're right. Maybe recons should be capable of spotting mines either within vision range?

Also, should Sonja be able to see all mines on the field (no matter what) when she uses her CO powers?

I was thinking like a whole new unit, but thats a better idea. Sonja being able to see the mines with her cop and scop might be enough to make her more useable.

How will air units be affected, will it work like submerged subs ambushing fighters?

How would the ammo work, because in a non-fog of war map you can tell where a mine is dropped by looking at the units primary ammo every day. And even in fog of war map you can tell if mines have been placed, without knowing where of course.

One last suggestion (in this post at least) maybe make the mines use construction material like rigs and carriers in DoR.
Mr Clean wrote:im curious as to why anybody would know what a gynacologist does off the top of their head
headphone
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby funwes » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:47 pm

I'd be a little worried of how this would affect the major stalemates that players here tend to get themselves into. An entire rush could be stopped by one mine and drag the game out even longer than it already is.

For air units I'd say that it wouldn't make sense for air units to get slapped with 3hp damage from something that theoretically should be on the ground. But knowing AW's track record with sensibility...:lol:

It won't hit any sea units but landers and black boats because it's a land unit and can't exist on sea tiles assuming it's a non-Nyv map other than shoals. So I'm assuming because of this, that landers would stop in place and take 3 damage. What a fun way to stop an invasion and kill some boats.

This would make some really cool map ideas I can think of already, though, with predeployed mine planters :)
Code: Select all
Mr--Clean> that moment when you put something in your mouth and you have NO idea what it is and spit it out

Walker> i was innocent once
Walker> then loli came along
funwes
CO
CO

Postby DullPheonix » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:12 pm

I don't think this changes the metagame to the extent that it'd be worth implementing. Mines can't be removed once placed, right? It's bad enough having to remove meatshields.
DullPheonix
Recon
Recon

Postby funwes » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:22 pm

Oh that reminds me of a possible fix I meant to mention: What about the damage, but the distance the unit was planning to travel is just reduced by 1 instead of a dead stop in place?
Mr--Clean> that moment when you put something in your mouth and you have NO idea what it is and spit it out

Walker> i was innocent once
Walker> then loli came along
funwes
CO
CO

Postby khdou » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:58 am

I think units should be able to detect mines in nonfog games based on their vision. That way it would be more reasonable than blindly charging in and getting destroyed. on the other hand, I think the mines should be weakened, like maybe 2 hp damage when crossing over them and no movement loss. If you think about it, you could trap basically all units by putting a wall of mines, and putting a row of indirects right behind it, and it would be impossible to get to the indirects without them getting stopped in their tracks. And also, given enough time you could basically rig up your side of the field with so many mines and if they get stopped each time they hit one it would be too easy.

That or make the mines affect your own units as well
"Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?" - Squidward
khdou
Infantry
Infantry

Postby TruthSeeker » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:48 pm

How will air units be affected, will it work like submerged subs ambushing fighters?

Notice I said in my first post that the mines would only affect ground units; not air or naval units, except the Landers and Black Boats.

I think units should be able to detect mines in nonfog games based on their vision.

That's what I meant. Vision would allow units to spot enemy mines in FoW and non-FoW.

Oh that reminds me of a possible fix I meant to mention: What about the damage, but the distance the unit was planning to travel is just reduced by 1 instead of a dead stop in place?

That sounds like a good idea. It's probably better than stopping the unit.
TruthSeeker
Recon
Recon

Postby Usthepeople » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:09 pm

it should cost money to plant mines otherwise basically we are paying 10000g for 3 mines and can suicide the unit/ meatsheild with it afterward (my point it loses worth)
but keep the it can only do it 3 times idea
I live my life one turn at a time
Smacky im sorry you live on a giant rock

[20:20] [JAM]: damn ie closed on itself
[20:26] =-= [JAM] was booted from amarriner.com by YOU ((GET FF))
[20:26] <Wes> Ha!
[20:26] <Wes> I was about to do that too
------
[15:46] Sneetch: I'm a failure
[21:17] <Sneetch> Haha I failed like 3 or 5 Classes
-----
<Glenny> ffs utp
<UTP> ffs?
<Glenny> for fucks fake
Usthepeople
Artillery
Artillery

Postby Ryuu » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:03 pm

Usthepeople wrote:it should cost money to plant mines otherwise basically we are paying 10000g for 3 mines and can suicide the unit/ meatsheild with it afterward (my point it loses worth)
but keep the it can only do it 3 times idea

Unless the mines are treated in the same manner as other ammunition, in this case the planter can be resupplied by an APC.
"As long as I have the solid earth under my feet, I will never give up!" ~Rockman X

Prism Nova
http://www.amarriner.com/awbw_forum/vie ... php?t=4867

List of Custom COs
http://www.amarriner.com/awbw_forum/vie ... 5462#85462
Ryuu
Artillery
Artillery

Postby TruthSeeker » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:51 pm

Unless the mines are treated in the same manner as other ammunition, in this case the planter can be resupplied by an APC.

That's what I had planned. It's ammunition, so it can be resupplied.
TruthSeeker
Recon
Recon

Postby Ryuu » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:48 pm

One way to keep things easy is to have the mines treated as a "special tile", visible to the player whose mine planter unit put that mine down, and invisible to the opponent. That way, the opponent's units can actually fly through the mined spot without getting interrupted, while ground units will be caught if they attempt to pass through.

This also allows the enemy to use their air units to spot for mines since they can now move over the spot. It is best to treat mines as units with stealth in this manner.
"As long as I have the solid earth under my feet, I will never give up!" ~Rockman X

Prism Nova
http://www.amarriner.com/awbw_forum/vie ... php?t=4867

List of Custom COs
http://www.amarriner.com/awbw_forum/vie ... 5462#85462
Ryuu
Artillery
Artillery

Postby TruthSeeker » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:20 pm

That does seem like a good idea.
TruthSeeker
Recon
Recon

Return to Customization