AW/FE by Web

AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

New Units

Talk about custom COs, units, classes, weapons or anything else.

Moderator: Forum Mods

New Units

Postby Angirn » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:23 pm

I've been working on some new units since whenever I was on last, and I'm wondering what you guys think.
P.S.: Base2's are upgrades that can be preformed by APCs, and Main Weapon2's are used in situations that would otherwise leave a unit completely defenseless.

Foot Soldier: Sniper (Snpr) Spawn: Base2 Cost: g5000 Move: (Foot) 4 Defense: 1.5x Infantry Main Weapon1: Rifle (Power: 1.5x Infantry, Ammo: 9, Range: 1-2) Secondary Weapon: M. Gun ([might remove this] Power: 1x Infantry) Vision: 2 Fuel: 99 In direct combat, the sniper uses the rifle to attack unless they are attacking a foot soldier.

Vehicle: Amphibious Tank (ATank) Spawn: Base2 Cost: g10000 Move: (Tread/Ship) 6 Defense: 1.2x Tank Main Weapon1: Cannon (Power: 1x Tank, Ammo: 4) Main Weapon2: Torpedo (Power: 1.2x Tank, Ammo: 4) Secondary Weapon: M. Gun (Power: 0.8x Tank) Vision: 4 Fuel: 80 A unit capable of moving between land and sea through shorelines, and can attack vehicles and ships using the cannon and torpedoes, respectively.

Vehicle: Medium Amphibious Tank (MAD) Spawn: Base2 Cost: g19000 Move: (Tread/Ship) Defense: 1.2x MDTank Main Weapon1: Heavy Cannon (Power: 1x MDTank ,Ammo: 3) Main Weapon2: Shock Torpedoes (Power: 1.2x MDTank, Ammo: 3) Secondary Weapon: M. Gun (Power: 0.8x MDTank) Vision: 1 Fuel: 70 The Medium A-Tank is basically an improvement on the A-Tank, capable of weakening seabound foes with it's S-43 class 'Shock' Torpedoes (If initiating attack against a ship, the target's main weapon power falls by -0.1x).

Helicopter: S-Copter (SCop) Spwan: Airport2 Cost: g10000 Move: (Air) 6 Capacity: 1 Vehicle Defense: 1x B-Copter Secondary Weapon: Light AA Gun (Power: 0.4x Anti-Air) Vision: 2 Fuel: 99 The S.P.A.D. (Special Pickup and Deployment) line of units were designed to give more freedom in beachheads and reinforcements. The S19-Copter subclass would be used for landing in areas that other S-classes couldn't access, like thick forests.

I've got some more, but I'm getting bored typing; so I'll add more entries later. See ya!
The nation of Violet Quasar is a peaceful land. However, we will take up arms and defend that peace if the need arises. We work for science! We work for life! We work for peace! As long as I command our military, I will never let our rights fall! -Angirn, AW0: Violet Quasar Campaign Opening
Angirn
Infantry
Infantry

Re: New Units

Postby NARFNra » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:44 pm

Angirn wrote:Foot Soldier: Sniper (Snpr) Spawn: Base2 Cost: g5000 Move: (Foot) 4 Defense: 1.5x Infantry Main Weapon1: Rifle (Power: 1.5x Infantry, Ammo: 9, Range: 1-2) Secondary Weapon: M. Gun ([might remove this] Power: 1x Infantry) Vision: 2 Fuel: 99 In direct combat, the sniper uses the rifle to attack unless they are attacking a foot soldier.

NO SNIPERS. EVER. They are only useful to kill Infantry, and for 5000, why would you bother?
Woah.
NARFNra
Artillery
Artillery

Postby Mcluvin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:30 pm

^Agreed. For an extra 1000 you could get an arty which has a larger range and can hit bigger units. In order to justify it's existence, it would have to be about 2000-3000 and have a range of4-5. That way it could be useful for disrupting the enemy's capture phase early on and get a few good finishing shots later on. They could be excellent disruptors if given the right stats and could be awesome in FOW.
Mcluvin
Tank
Tank

Postby NARFNra » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:25 pm

However, Snipers are pretty much impossible to balance, because to be better than Artilleries they would have to be drastically overpowered, especially since they are able to capture, and thus would destroy balance.
Woah.
NARFNra
Artillery
Artillery

Postby Mcluvin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:25 pm

Actually they would only have to be much cheaper then arties and would have to be especially good vs.infantry, mechs, and other snipers to justify their existence and be less effective against vehichles to keep them from being overpowered. There are many instances in which someone will buy an arty just to keep their opponent from capturing a city. Now, they have a cheaper alternative. Arties + inf. are used to counter Sami mech floods. With snipers, everyone has a cheaper alternative. As long as they don't have arty strength vs. vehicles, and arties have higher MP, arties will be far from useless, and the game will still be balanced. The only thing that would change would be that now players could have a cheaper indirect method for dealing with inf. and mechs. They could also be good for finishing off those pesky 1hp vehicles when you need to and, of course, capturing properties. It would take time and testing to find that happy medium between making them overpowered and nearly useless, but if done right, they could be a nice addition.
On a related note, you could add more depth by increasing their range on mountains.
Mcluvin
Tank
Tank

Postby Ploumeur » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:20 pm

My version of sniper unit, more suited for DoR than AWBW.

Cost: 3000.
Move: 2MP, mech type.
Defense: same as infantry.
Attack1: Rifle. Same as Mech's SMG, range 2-3, and 2-4 on urban ground and mountains. Ammo:5.
Attack2: Submachine gun. Same as Infantry SMG. Ammo: unlimited.
Vision: 5, and 6 on urban ground and mountains.
Fuel: 99.

They would have an advantage over artilleries: in stalemate, they can move over mountains.
Advance Wars best advice: "Build more infantries."
Ploumeur
Artillery
Artillery

Postby Angirn » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:25 pm

Hmm, now that you mention it, I guess the Sniper is an unbalanced unit. From what I see, you say it's: 1- Too expensive; 2- too small an attack range; and 3- Bad for anything other than crowd-control. I think I could tweak a little to balance it better... I'm gonna try this again.
New Unit
Name:Sniper (Snpr)
Spawn: Base Lv.2
Cost: g3000
Move: (Mech) 3
Defense: 1.3x Infantry
Main Weapon: Rifle ~Power:1.1x Mech against foot soldiers, 0.4x Mech against vehicles; Ammo:9; Range:1-3~
Secondary Weapon: (still debating if I'll keep this) Machine Gun ~Power:1x Infantry~
Vision: 2 (+3 on mountainous terrain)
Fuel: 80
So, I'm gonna see what you guys think of my redo. Hopefully, it's more balanced now.
The nation of Violet Quasar is a peaceful land. However, we will take up arms and defend that peace if the need arises. We work for science! We work for life! We work for peace! As long as I command our military, I will never let our rights fall! -Angirn, AW0: Violet Quasar Campaign Opening
Angirn
Infantry
Infantry

Postby Mcluvin » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:19 pm

Just curious, what does your S-copter transport? Any land units or just footsoldiers?
Mcluvin
Tank
Tank

Postby Mcluvin » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:28 pm

Btw much better sniper.
Mcluvin
Tank
Tank

Postby Angirn » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:32 pm

[quote="Mcluvin"]Just curious, what does your S-copter transport? Any land units or just footsoldiers?[/quote]

The S-class air units can carry any vehicle, and possibly soldiers, not sure about that yet. So they're basically the opposite of a T-copter.
Angirn
Infantry
Infantry

Postby Angirn » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:38 pm

By the way, I say S-class vehicles, because there is also an S-plane. It can carry 2 vehicles, and it's nearly midnight so I/m gonna post the rest later cuz my head is starting to hurt.
Angirn
Infantry
Infantry

Return to Customization