There was some interest in IRC yesterday for playing an all-vanilla mafia. I don't mind running one, but I'd like to gauge interest before setting anything up.
Here's a general idea of what the rules/setup would be like:
1. It's an open setup, meaning that all roles in the game are known ahead of time. The only roles are Mafia and Vanilla townie. There are no power roles, abilities, or items.
2. I'm looking for about 8 or 9 people who would play actively, I'd like something a little bit smaller and faster.
3. Game starts during the day, roles are revealed upon death, mafia is able to speak only during the night in a separate topic and is able to select one person to be killed each night. Game ends when mafia has majority or all mafia or dead.
4. Day phase lasts 1 week or until a lynch majority has been reached. Night phase lasts 2 days or until mafia sends in their kill target.
5. No talking via PM. Maybe we could allow more talking in IRC, on the condition that anything relevant gets pasted into the thread. I'm open to it, if people would prefer that.
So yeah, it'd be a pretty simple setup. The main draw of a game like this is that the only information you have is how people are acting, voting, and who gets killed each night. So you really have to pay attention to behavior and can't rely on outside information for scum-hunting. If anyone is trying to learn how to be better at playing mafia, a game like this is probably the best lesson you can get. If this goes well, we can try another crazier setup, I know a few people have ideas kicking around.
Feel free to post in the thread if you're interested, if we have enough interested people then I'll put together something more formal and we can play.
Last edited by Walker
on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:55 am, edited 5 times in total.