AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

A New Design Map Challenge: Taking Ideas

Critique and discuss the design maps on AWBW

Moderator: Forum Mods

A New Design Map Challenge: Taking Ideas

Postby xushu » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:09 pm

What say all of you to a new challenge in the world of AWBW map design? I have no issue coordinating this if there is sufficient interest. ^_^

...and if so, what kind of challenge would you like to see? Call this a brainstorming thread... ^_~
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die. " Sima Yi
xushu
Tank
Tank

Re: A New Design Map Challenge: Taking Ideas

Postby headphone » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:02 pm

I think a single elimination map making tournament would be fun, where the two people facing off will make a map and the other person has to remix it, and the maps get voted on after. Of course there would be rules on what tiles can be placed and etc.
Mr Clean wrote:im curious as to why anybody would know what a gynacologist does off the top of their head
headphone
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby xushu » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:42 pm

@headphone: That could be pretty cool... provided the rules were clearly defined, naturally.

Any other ideas out there? Come on, now, don't be shy. ^_~
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die. " Sima Yi
xushu
Tank
Tank

Postby Mori » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:09 pm

Not that it hasn't been done before, but making map by editing some form of map template is always cool. The face off idea is also cool.

I also like the idea of transferring maps from other games into AWBW, but still making them playable and balanced, which I've done a few times. Like, for example, you could post a map link and picture to say, a map from a different strategy game, and then people would take that information and try to take as many mechanics and aesthetics of that map and make them work for AWBW, while also trying to make a quality map for competitive play. It's challenging, but people have plenty of room for creativity through interpretation.
Mori
Tank
Tank

Postby xushu » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:29 pm

@mori: *thinks of Starcraft 2 maps converted to AWBW* that could be pretty awesome too.

I was thinking of a challenge where the map 1.) had to have neutral, possibly contested, labs and 2.) lab units factored into it. I also have been considering a challenge of a low-fund map inspired map, but I keep thinking that is not so awesome...

Keep the brainstorming going~ so far, nice suggestions here. ^_^
xushu
Tank
Tank

Postby TFM » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:44 pm

How about a 1v1 map with only one base/airport per player?
TFM
Infantry
Infantry

Postby headphone » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:36 am

Balancing that type of map is pretty much impossible...
Mr Clean wrote:im curious as to why anybody would know what a gynacologist does off the top of their head
headphone
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Mori » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Any ideas for Lab Units? Could be cool. I mean, any given unit in AWBW could be an interesting lab unit, given a situation where it's valued.
Mori
Tank
Tank

Postby headphone » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:58 pm

Lab uniting transports and making it so large amounts of funds are available from said transports would be pretty cool.
headphone
Map Committee
Map Committee

Return to Design Maps