AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Pandemonium Map Series

Critique and discuss the design maps on AWBW

Moderator: Forum Mods

Pandemonium Map Series

Postby zaaps1 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:28 am

I've been having an itch to make more maps recently, and what better way to entertain myself than to create a plot-driven set of maps? I'm compiling them in this thread here and also asking for feedback, rates, and comments.

The idea I'm trying to follow here is to create a fresh, unique and original-ish idea with each map. Feel free to suggest any ideas or storyline recommendations and I will try to incorporate them into an upcoming map. I'm going to keep this first post updated as new maps and edits to old maps are made. Enjoy!

Going to give a quick summary of the plot each map brings as well as the theme behind it, as well as personal comments.

Our story takes place in the dark city of Pandemonium, a city marked by war with foreign empires. Century after century, armies have marched out the city gates with dreams of conquest and eyes gleaming with gold and riches. Time and time again, they have come home victorious. However, between the stacks of treasure and the vaults of gold, trouble has been brewing underneath the surface. Suddenly, tensions break loose and a crisis unfolds within the very bowels of the city itself...

Chapter 1: Avarice

Plot: The lights go black one night as a rebel group known by the name, Macabre, seizes control of part of the district of Avarice, home to Pandemonium's power plants and electric generators. Eclipsed by darkness, gunfire breaks loose as rebel forces attempt to spread their control to the entire district. Their purpose is unknown, but government military forces have been dispatched to liberate Avarice and oust Macabre's grip over the city's vital lifeline.

Concept: This map forces each player to adopt three different playstyles. In the side with the player's neutral lab, the player must focus on defense to retain control of the lab. In the opposite side, with the opponent's neutral lab, the player focuses on offensive as he tries to seize control of the lab. In the middle area, a fine balance must be established to both defend the friendly lab and to capture the enemy lab. The center area and the offensive front share control of an airport, which can be used to supplement the attack. On the flip side, the defensive and middle areas share the responsibility of defending the tower.

Notes: As Walker pointed out in the comments, the middle base plays too big of a role, especially when the FTA infantry is placed on it. It's currently responsible for most of the cities, the airport, and the neutral base. Although the idea here was to give the offensive base a jump start to allow more aggressive play, I would like to switch the position of most of the cities to the defensive side, as that would fit the theme of that front more appropriately by giving the defense more strongpoints to hold back attacking forces.

I'm also slightly concerned over the power Lash holds in the middle area as it is mostly high-star terrain, but I'm hoping the low-terrain on the other two fronts offsets this. Just a passing thought.

Chapter 2: Gluttony

Plot: The military has finally driven the rebels into a full retreat as they flee their stranglehold on the power facilities of Avarice. Although Macabre never reached full control of the district, allowing them to disable the city's power, they were able to shut off the power grids in a few key areas, the most important of which is the loading dock of Gluttony. With its defensive units disabled, rebel gunships off the coast were able to break through the walls and set up bases off the shores of the port. Rebel landers wait nearby, preparing to shuttle troops to the main port facility and seize control of it. If the rebels were to gain control of the port, it would open the doors for an even greater flood of troops into the outer districts of Pandemonium. Given the recent incident in Avarice, the military cannot afford to allow a full confrontation within the city limits. Although the intentions of the rebels are not known, military bases have been established on the opposite side of the port, preparing to face the enemy in the port of Gluttony.

Concept: The idea here was to give the player full control over where to deploy troops. With the use of landers and teleport tiles, troops pay be deployed anywhere along the friendly shores of the main island. The focus on deployment tactics is further emphasized by the lack of deployment facilities on the main island, which only boasts an airport that is easily missile-locked.

In addition, the pipe seams allow for a critical strategic decision. Although destroying your own pipe seams allows you to use your airport more offensively, as well as give you an easier opportunity to take out any offending missile units locking the airport, it also allows the enemy a backdoor way into invading your lab. Destroying your opponent's pipe seam creates a similar dilemma. Destroying the pipe seam is a choice that both players will have to think about carefully.

Finally, playing off the offensive/defensive blend this map offers, in FoG maps, players can exploit the reefs and the forests bordering the pipes to hide critical indirect units that can play a big role in offense or defense. For example, hiding a carrier in the nearby reef missile-locks the opposing airport while offering greater insurance against enemy directs destroying the indirect unit. By the same token, battleships can be placed to help defend the player's lab.

Notes: Originally the labs were HQs and there were no ports on the deployment island. However I wanted to encourage strategic use of battleships as well as relieve players from building APCs to refuel the critical landers. Also, originally the bases allowed piperunners to reach the enemy's defensive pipe-wall. Although this created further incentive to destroy your own pipe seam (as it would limit where the piperunners could go), I personally was not a fan of how aggressively one could place the piperunner, so they are now disabled from play.

Chapter 3: Acedia

Plot: The rebels capture the port of Gluttony and finally are able to take the battle into the streets of the outer districts of Pandemonium, home to the city's countless neglected poor who have not shined in glory along with the rest of the city as Pandemonium's conquests have piled up. Disgruntled and angry with their circumstance, many take the opportunity to flee the city during the chaos of the rebel attack, although many more decide to join the Macabre army and help take down the higher echelons of Pandemonium, or so they assume is Macabre's purpose.

The battle shifts to the ghetto of Acedia, a clustered, dark maze of streets and alleys. It's not difficult to become lost in the vast labyrinth of Acedia, and as the battle progresses, troops from both sides find themselves lost in remote parts of the city, far from their HQ...

Concept: Acedia boasts a 1-way-portal for both armies to use. The center area including the HQs are fairly well-shielded between 2 bases and a defensive mountain range, so a brute force attack may not always insure victory. Instead, use of greater mobility via flanking maneuvers is encouraged by using the portals. Be careful, however, as you must commit to any special forces missions through the portal; troops going deep into enemy territory via the portal will not be able to return back home, leaving the landing area a viable place to lay a trap for unsuspecting troops. At the same time, the endpoint must be defended, lest the enemy close it off entirely and leave you at a mobility disadvantage.

Notes: The endpoints were originally choky and blocked by a friendly sub to give the player perm control over the endpoint area. However given the choky nature, it was even easier for the enemy to render the alley useless by camping a few artillery there. Also note the map does not use airports, as air units defeat the purpose of using a 1-way portal.
Last edited by zaaps1 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
zaaps1
Recon
Recon

Re: Pandemonium Map Series

Postby Mr--Clean » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:10 pm

I really like the idea for the second map. Almost surprised it hasnt been done before.
Mr--Clean
Artillery
Artillery

Re: Pandemonium Map Series

Postby zaaps1 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:32 pm

Thank you :) I've gotten some pretty positive feedback on that map.

On Avarice I am planning to flatten the terrain out a bit once the current games are over to allow more threatening AA play vs copters.

Also I've created the third map, Acedia, which features a 1-way portal for each player to use.
zaaps1
Recon
Recon

Return to Design Maps