Maps with no pre-held bases

Critique and discuss the design maps on AWBW

Moderator: Forum Mods

Maps with no pre-held bases

Postby Azzaphox » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:45 pm

http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=56928

This is an attempt at an idea.
Probably it has been done before.
The notion is that there are no pre-owned factories.
More than that, the factories sit centrally to the map, so capturing and holding them becomes an ongoing issue.

All suggestions about spacing, etc. welcome.

I did think about putting airfields on, but with the map size it may not be helpful.
More Strategy, less Real Time
Azzaphox
Tank
Tank

Re: Maps with no pre-held bases

Postby Felix45 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:21 pm

it doesn't work....whoever is actually able to get a base will win. the map is much too small for 4 players to start with so many pre deployed units. and there are pretty bad fta issues.
[23:09] <Gabo> hey guys, i have a question
[23:09] <Gabo> is it possible to transfer games from one account toanother on steam?
[23:09] <felix45> fire away lotion master
[23:10] <felix45> ROFL
[23:10] <Gabo> =_=
[23:10] <felix45> sorry I cant let that go :P
[23:10] <felix45> oh and I dont think so gabo
[23:10] <Gabo> the worst part is that i do like lotions <_<
Felix45
CO
CO

Postby Azzaphox » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:11 am

oooh.. i can't win can i... i get told there is no point in big maps and now this one is too small.

ok, first principles, do you think that ANY map with no pre-owned bases could work?

if so, do they need to be more like 50% of the way between the cenre and the start point?

also, yes, i could alter the pre-deployed troops so that there are progressively more for players 2, 3 and 4.
The notion of the pre deployed was to save a little time since no forces cna be built near the HQ.
More Strategy, less Real Time
Azzaphox
Tank
Tank

Postby Walker » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:00 am

You can win, you just haven't found the right idea yet. And most of the good ones were already taken!

Maps without preowned bases can work; they are called "predeployed maps". Generally, balance gets more and more complicated as the number of units you predeploy goes up. So if you have 10 predeployed units, balance is much, much more complicated than if you have just 2 predeployed units, and that is just on a 1v1 map. You are trying to do a 4P FFA map, which honestly just makes it 10x worse again, because you have to figure out how to make each country's units 1/4 of a turn ahead or behind the others. Quite frankly, I think the map you made is impossible to perfectly balance as it stands right now. The best option is to KISS it, which stands for Keep It Simple, Stupid. So keep it simple, stupid. :) Less pre-deployed units, and simpler predeployed units (infantry + transports only, for example) will make it a lot easier to balance.

As for the bases... If you want to include neutral bases, you cannot have them in an area where they will be contested, because that will wreak havoc on a map's balance and playability (those with bases first win, those without lose). The bases have to be in an area where their capture cannot be disrupted if the capturing player makes the right moves, and it should not be too hard to tell what the right moves are (e.g.: using a transport to get to the base in a direct path).

I think you need to make up your mind on what is most important in the map. Are you trying to make a map where the focus of the map is the predeployed units? Or are you trying to make a map where being able to deploy units comes into play later on in the game, and you must be careful with your predeployed units until then? If you're doing the first, just scrap the bases altogether. If you're doing the second, I think you need to try a little harder. :)
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Felix45 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:48 am

If you really want 4p FFA with neutral bases you need a bigger map, less units, and the bases need to be captured with ease.

FTA will be very difficult to balance with neutral bases. you will probably need 2 per side. But honestly if you want neutral bases in a pre deployed game, you are already essentially turning it into what all of the high funds maps look like really, and in this case you might as well just make a normal map.....rofl
[23:09] <Gabo> hey guys, i have a question
[23:09] <Gabo> is it possible to transfer games from one account toanother on steam?
[23:09] <felix45> fire away lotion master
[23:10] <felix45> ROFL
[23:10] <Gabo> =_=
[23:10] <felix45> sorry I cant let that go :P
[23:10] <felix45> oh and I dont think so gabo
[23:10] <Gabo> the worst part is that i do like lotions <_<
Felix45
CO
CO

Postby Azzaphox » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:52 pm

thanks guys, longer explanations help.