Moderator: Forum Mods

To many cities?

Postby DunDuns » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:17 pm

DunDuns
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Re: To many cities?

Postby Abroxas » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:04 pm

Well, I guess so. Approximately everyone get's ~23k if I'm not mistaken. With three bases this makes it a bit too easy to pull out three tanks per round or tech up. Roundabout 16k-18k might be better. But it depends on your intention with the map. Someone from the map comitee might give you a more sophisticated thought though.

Also: You FTA counter is wrong. You should put the infranty on the other base so BM can start capturing one city within the very first round. Only this way it's even.
Last edited by Abroxas on Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
Abroxas
Tank
Tank

Postby DunDuns » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:07 pm

thank you for the insight! haven't played AW in a long time
DunDuns
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Postby Walker » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:12 pm

The city count is probably okay, considering the size of the map. I agree with Abroxas that 23k is a little much for 3 bases, but if you add an airport then it should be decent. You could also get away with adding a 4th base, which would solve some balance issues.

There are a couple problems/ways to improve the map though:
- Remove the preowned city for each side. Having more preowned properties just exacerbates FTA issues
- Move the corner base (SW and NE) forwards to about where the other preowned base is. Because one base is more advanced than the other, it will be responsible for capturing more properties and producing the more useful units, and that will create balance issues.
- It would be best to bring all the bases a little closer to the center. The capture phase is going to take absolutely forever on this map right now, making the first ~10 days pretty boring. You could also add a preowned bboat or something to allow the capture of the neutral base to be a little quicker.
- Make the center of the map slightly less open. Right now, the length of time it will take for units to get to the center will cause tanks to be much more useful than artillery, and the openness is just going to encourage that even more.
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby DunDuns » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:23 pm

nice! good ideas!!! thanks guys
DunDuns
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Postby DunDuns » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:29 pm

i moved the bases a bit closer to the middle should i move it a little more closer? I also added an airport where the pipes are and closed the middle a little to
DunDuns
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Postby Walker » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:34 pm

The bases look good, that should be fine. I would suggest putting the airport somewhere closer to the bases if you want them to be really be used though. And corner airports like that can cause problems with stealths since it takes so long for the countering fighter to get across the map to deter it.

As for the center, now it's a little too closed haha. I would suggest removing 4 of those 6 mountains (the NW and SE mountains would be nice ones to leave). And separating the two remaining mountains by one more space would be a nice touch.
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Azzaphox » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:38 pm

maybe swap some cities for empty silos..
that way you get urban terrain but lower funds?
More Strategy, less Real Time
Azzaphox
Tank
Tank

Return to Design Maps