AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

FoW Maps

Critique and discuss the design maps on AWBW

Moderator: Forum Mods

Re: FoW Maps

Postby Azzaphox » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:35 am

all have 2 capitals, so, yes, 2 pout of 6 have a slight advantage, but all have the opportunity to rush to the centre.
do you think maybe it could do with more properties, cits or factories? or maybe more terrain?
More Strategy, less Real Time
Azzaphox
Tank
Tank

Postby Mr--Clean » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:41 pm

Check the bottom left GE cant get to the center because of the rivers.

Also its weird how only 2 out of the 4 corners get com towers
Mr--Clean
Artillery
Artillery

Postby Azzaphox » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:47 am

Ok thanks MrClean. I will tidy that up.
I thought only 2 comm towers because if there were 4 on the map, Javier becomes a very attractive choice.
I suppose one could ban Javier or maybe provide some additional airfileds or factories on the other 2 spots
More Strategy, less Real Time
Azzaphox
Tank
Tank

Postby headphone » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:54 pm

Quick question, what do people prefer, large maps are small maps for fog of war?
Some reasoning would be helpful, but isn't necessary...
Mr Clean wrote:im curious as to why anybody would know what a gynacologist does off the top of their head
headphone
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Abroxas » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:28 am

Personally, I prefer middle-sized maps. That is because on small maps most of the area is easily uncovered and therefore the surprise is less... surprising. Big maps, on the other hand, are generally unattractive for two players, especially in FoW when territorial advance is harder than without FoW.
If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
Abroxas
Tank
Tank

Postby Felix45 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:44 am

I like small-mid just because they take less time to complete.

The problem with my taste though is it is much harder to balance a small-mid sized map than it is to balance a large one. FTA and STA generally are more of a problem the smaller the map is.
[23:09] <Gabo> hey guys, i have a question
[23:09] <Gabo> is it possible to transfer games from one account toanother on steam?
[23:09] <felix45> fire away lotion master
[23:10] <felix45> ROFL
[23:10] <Gabo> =_=
[23:10] <felix45> sorry I cant let that go :P
[23:10] <felix45> oh and I dont think so gabo
[23:10] <Gabo> the worst part is that i do like lotions <_<
Felix45
CO
CO

Postby hetchel » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:49 pm

I think maps for FoW should be sized like non-FoW maps.

Or maybe the map could be a little bigger than usual, to provide outer, alternative paths, slower but useful for spying.
Wasn't it Headphone who wanted to create a map based on this idea?
hetchel
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Postby matchet » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:58 pm

I really like fow because it hides your units from the enemy. So you can build more unusual (but powerful and maybe decissive) units, and hide it from the enemy until its too late. Also makes artillery+soldier walls less effective.

Maps on FOW have to be more open and with few or no chokepoints because fog itself creates a kind of "chokepoints", and because a chokepoint is too hard to steal from the enemy because you cant advance (block units: lose turn) and indirects are hidden and you cant see where they exactly are.

I am still testing how airports (air units) works on fow, and didnt test naval (but I think is not a good idea). Only one thing to say about COs: Sonja must be banned because is problematic under all enemies (+1 vision & HP hidden) unless you want to see a Sonja Vs Sonja all time.

Returning to map design, Im still a brand new map editor (even with +30 maps created on original games's editor); but all my maps are designed to be able for playing on fog of war. You can feedback me there: http://awbw.amarriner.com/profile.php?username=matchet (design maps)
matchet
Infantry
Infantry

Previous

Return to Design Maps