AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PurgeCorp Analysis!

Critique and discuss the design maps on AWBW

Moderator: Forum Mods

PurgeCorp Analysis!

Postby Felix45 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:18 pm

Post your purge corp maps here to see what problems they might have and for playtesting!

Here are the 3 I made.
http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=56115

http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=56195

http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=56179

If anyone wants to playtest the 3 maps, I am going to make some games right now. I will edit the post once they are made.

So? How did I do on my maps? what are some problems that are obvious, and some that could be problems?

I think most of the maps made for the competition are worth play testing, and possibly for use in tournaments or even global league. Lets work together to try and make the maps better!

Edit: OK games have been made

Map: Divert the Sea
Name: PurgeCorp Playtesting
pass: glhf

Map: Pipes Under Construction
Name: PurgeCorp Pipes

Map: Industrialization
Name: Purge Corp Industry

join up if you would like to test!
[23:09] <Gabo> hey guys, i have a question
[23:09] <Gabo> is it possible to transfer games from one account toanother on steam?
[23:09] <felix45> fire away lotion master
[23:10] <felix45> ROFL
[23:10] <Gabo> =_=
[23:10] <felix45> sorry I cant let that go :P
[23:10] <felix45> oh and I dont think so gabo
[23:10] <Gabo> the worst part is that i do like lotions <_<
Felix45
CO
CO

Re: PurgeCorp Analysis!

Postby exelon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:11 pm

Nice maps! I would like to try the "Industrialization" map, if you don't mind.
exelon
Infantry
Infantry

Postby ichbinsehselber » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:40 am

Interesting maps.
1.) http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=56115
This one looks really good. Some people say that contested towers are a problem. I personally would see this map as an interesting one to play.

2.) http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=56195
This one has a few minor "problems" or just things I do not like in particular:
-the bases in the corners delay the game a bit and make expansion go in almost only one direction from each base.
-it is very chokey and stalemate potential is high
-ghosted airports are problematic for newbs and for people who do not properly check the map. On the other hand the idea is nice of having a place where air units can (only) heal and refuel.

3.) http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=56179
This map is a bit similar to the unleash the beast map (http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=55893)
It looks nice and it could work. It should be tested.
ichbinsehselber
Tank
Tank

Postby headphone » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:33 pm

ichbinsehselber wrote:1.) http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=56115
This one looks really good. Some people say that contested towers are a problem. I personally would see this map as an interesting one to play.

Surprisingly the towers aren't that contested. They easily belong to the side they're supposed to belong to, and focusing all your attention on grabbing both of them could cost you the game.

I can't comment on the others because I haven't played on them yet.
Mr Clean wrote:im curious as to why anybody would know what a gynacologist does off the top of their head
headphone
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Felix45 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:51 am

I agree with headphone. I picked javier with the intention of going for 2 towers, but sturm was a much better pick it seems. losing units is a big deal on this map, yet there are 2 heavily contested properties you can lose on both sides if you don't try to fight for them. because the bases are so far from the fronts, repairing is very important. Using the airport everyday in my game has helped my unit count a whole lot, but because sturm SCOP is so deadly, I will probably be on the defensive at the bottom right after he uses it. if a large enough advantage is gained on either side you can start to lose a lot of properties, but not necessarily lose the game. if you are winning on one side and losing on the other, if you simply push your advantage on the winning side and then fall back and accept you will lose a few properties (but of course will take properties on the winning side) and the game can stay even.

I think with only 2 bases, high funds, and a long distance to each front, the game is very interesting; not at all like many of the s rank maps. eventually unit numbers start to dwindle after infantry from the capture phase begin to die, and then unit and vehicle count will be extremely important.
[23:09] <Gabo> is it possible to transfer games from one account toanother on steam?
Felix45
CO
CO

Postby headphone » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:31 pm

Felix45 wrote:eventually unit numbers start to dwindle after infantry from the capture phase begin to die, and then unit and vehicle count will be extremely important.

Good luck with this when strum is involved.
Mr Clean wrote:im curious as to why anybody would know what a gynacologist does off the top of their head
headphone
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby ichbinsehselber » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:26 pm

Yeah your game shows that the towers are not too contested.

Also, Javier is one of the worst COs when both towers are contested. You either go for them too early or you have to fight for them without your special CO advantage
ichbinsehselber
Tank
Tank

Postby Felix45 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:50 pm

Either way, the problem with contested towers is similar to the problem of contested neutral bases, the person who gets them both wins (and even more so when you can pick javier)
If there are any FTA or STA issues, contested towers multiplies them. That is why maps don't feature contested towers usually.

Now that our game is finished I made some changes to the map. I added more shoals to make AA better and another airport to help with bcopter spam. with the way it is you can make 2 bcopters and 2 infantry a day, but you won't want to do that probably more than once every few days. also changed the base BM infantry starts on and I moved 1 city closer so the BM infantry can start capturing day 1. If there were FTA issues before due to airport or where the infantry started I think this should take care of them.

What do you think headphone?
Felix45
CO
CO

Postby headphone » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:17 am

Felix45 wrote:What do you think headphone?

Why did you pick me out specifically?

Felix45 wrote:Either way, the problem with contested towers is similar to the problem of contested neutral bases, the person who gets them both wins (and even more so when you can pick javier)
If there are any FTA or STA issues, contested towers multiplies them. That is why maps don't feature contested towers usually.

I like how you said this, but didn't change the tower's position. I'm starting to get why the centralized things are a bad idea...
Also, I think the double airports on this map will cause copter spam, due to the forward nature of them.
headphone
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Felix45 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:48 pm

oh, just because we played a match together on the map.

You had originally agreed the towers weren't too contested. If you get careless you will lose it. The contested properties are the 4 central ones we fought over. If you lose the fight and have low unit count then you will probably lose the tower, but that is sort of the purpose of why I placed the tower where I did. you have to make hard decisions and you can't lose your fight because you won't have many reinforcements and they will take a long time to get to the battle. Losing a fight and as a result losing cities/towers just means you lost because the other player made better decisions (like in any normal game). The towers aren't in a position where they amplify FTA or STA, you can easily capture them without issue. Whether you can hold them after capture phase is a matter of what units you build and how you play, neither of which are affected by FTA or STA (or at least not that I can see on this map)

I don't think having a bunch of bcopters around the map is a problem, or that making a bcopter every day is a problem. Now that there are 2 airports you can easily counter a bcopter build with your own. Yes, bcopters are good on this map because of the forward airports, but that was why I made them forward, so that they get a lot of use (and maybe even used to repair copters)The idea was for there to be 2 infantry/tank/bcopter/AA battles on each side (with some artillery mixed in maybe).
Felix45
CO
CO

Postby headphone » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:48 pm

About the towers, fair enough.
About the airports, I never said copter spam was a bad thing.
headphone
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Felix45 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:31 pm

ah, ok!

thanks for the input!

no one else joined the other 2 maps....well if anyone wants to let me know. I can still make games to test them out.
Felix45
CO
CO

Postby Walker » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:34 pm

I'll play one with you, felix. Whichever map you'd like, both look fine to me.
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Felix45 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:17 am

game created!

name: felix vs walker playtest!
Felix45
CO
CO

Postby Walker » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:41 pm

The map you chose is actually "0 player", so I can't join. Unpublish the map and republish it and that should fix it. Then I'll join.
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Next

Return to Design Maps