AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Changing Up The Capture Phase On Maps

Critique and discuss the design maps on AWBW

Moderator: Forum Mods

Changing Up The Capture Phase On Maps

Postby headphone » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:16 pm

Hey I thought I would make a topic for maps that change the capture phase of the game.

One idea I had was early game lab trading.

This is going to be the first of a series of maps that I try and and do this with:
D.Z.C.F.C.W.C.R.G.

How I see this map playing out in the first few turns of the capture phase is:

Turn 1: GE builds 2 infs.
Turn 2: PC has to capture the lab with their Inf, otherwise GE would win with a double lab grab.
Turn 3: GE has the option to double lab capture or only take 1 and grab a city. Both should be equally good.
Turn 4: PC can either cap the second lab or take a city. Again, both should be equally good.

After that IDC how it would play out.
By taking both labs, it'll be easier to defend in the late stages, but your early game army will be somewhat weaker.
Likewise, By taking only 1 lab and opting for an early city, your early game offensive would be better, but it would be harder to defend 1 lab over 2.

Please poke holes in any of my logic and/or post maps of your own that try to change how the capture phase plays out.
Mr Clean wrote:im curious as to why anybody would know what a gynacologist does off the top of their head
headphone
Map Committee
Map Committee

Re: Changing Up The Capture Phase On Maps

Postby hetchel » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:54 pm

headphone wrote:Turn 1: GE builds 2 infs.
Turn 2: PC has to capture the lab with their Inf, otherwise GE would win with a double lab grab.
Turn 3: GE has the option to double lab capture or only take 1 and grab a city. Both should be equally good.
Turn 4: PC can either cap the second lab or take a city. Again, both should be equally good.

Both players will capture the second lab only after the nearby cities, since labs don't give income. Only the first capture is needed to survive.
hetchel
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Postby headphone » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:00 pm

hetchel wrote:Both players will capture the second lab only after the nearby cities, since labs don't give income. Only the first capture is needed to survive.

By the time all the nearby cities are captured, the main fronts should be starting develop and it might be better to use that inf to support the front lines, rather than wasting 2 turns capturing a building worth no funds.

But then again, this is all theorycraft. Wanna have a test game?

Edit: actually after playing a bit, it's starting to seem like funds would be the better choice, but I'm not sure.
Mr Clean wrote:im curious as to why anybody would know what a gynacologist does off the top of their head
headphone
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby hetchel » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:16 am

headphone wrote:By the time all the nearby cities are captured, the main fronts should be starting develop and it might be better to use that inf to support the front lines, rather than wasting 2 turns capturing a building worth no funds.

First you said that capturing the second lab on turn 2 would be equally good, and now you say that several turns later there is still no time to waste for it :)

headphone wrote:But then again, this is all theorycraft. Wanna have a test game?

Edit: actually after playing a bit, it's starting to seem like funds would be the better choice, but I'm not sure.

No sorry I'm already having trouble coping with all my games these days, I started too much of them. Maybe next week.

But your lab trade idea can be extended so that the labs are more distant from the bases. If they are 2 turns away, calculating whether you can wait or whether you have to send an inf becomes more interesting/annoying.

Or you can have islands, one with a lab, one with a city, so that the opponent won't know until the last moment which one you go for.

With fog on, it could be even more thrilling. The only problem with labs is, once you secure one on them, you don't really have to care about the rest.
hetchel
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Postby Walker » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:01 am

What I'm wondering is how do you see this really benefiting gameplay? I assume you're trying to make the capture phase more interesting, but it seems to me like this kind of just constrains you more.
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby headphone » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:16 pm

Yeah, on that map it does constrain you a bit, but it does change up the capture phase.
There are probably better ways of doing it, but that's the point of this thread. :D
headphone
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Mori » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:40 pm

I don't mind the idea. I've messed around with something similar on recent maps. On this particular map it doesn't affect much, but, again, I don't mind the idea at all. Anything for originality. Keep at it.
Mori
Tank
Tank

Postby Felix45 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:13 pm

all this does is extend the capture phase and make more infantry available for meatshielding after capture phase is over.

if that is what you are aiming for, then you did it well. If not, well I'm sorry to say but that is all this really does.
[23:09] <Gabo> hey guys, i have a question
[23:09] <Gabo> is it possible to transfer games from one account toanother on steam?
[23:09] <felix45> fire away lotion master
[23:10] <felix45> ROFL
[23:10] <Gabo> =_=
[23:10] <felix45> sorry I cant let that go :P
[23:10] <felix45> oh and I dont think so gabo
[23:10] <Gabo> the worst part is that i do like lotions <_<
Felix45
CO
CO

Return to Design Maps