AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Map Comments and Edits Thread

Critique and discuss the design maps on AWBW

Moderator: Forum Mods

Map Comments and Edits Thread

Postby Walker » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:55 am

If you would like feedback on a new map that you have made, or comments about edits you've made to an existing map, please post your map here instead of making your own thread about it.

Most of the threads made in this forum are made by someone who wants feedback on just one map. I think this is a waste of space, since usually these threads don't get a whole lot of feedback anyways. I'd like to confine requests for comments on maps to this thread only. In the end, it might be a good source of general map feedback and commentary, since a lot of comments and suggestions tend to be repeated over and over.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, I'll lead this thread off with one of my own maps that I've edited a bit.

Pipe Dream

This map is designed to promote piperunner play. The former version was used in leagues, and it turned out that there were some pretty massive HQ rushing issues, and that piperunners were not a good option because they had no access to the front (due to broken pipe seams).

I moved the starting base near the HQ a bit closer to the HQ and opened up a route for infantry to protect the HQ. Vehicles still have to take the long way around. I also made the towers less contested and added a preowned t-copter so that the neutral base would not take as many turns to come into play.

Anyone have any feedback on whether I fixed the problems? Other suggestions about the map would be appreciated too.
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Re: Map Comments and Edits Thread

Postby Divva » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:22 am

yeah, the preowned T-Copter is great. the piperunner can protect the tower and HQ, but i still doubt its practicability in 1000 income game. you have to build 2 less tanks/artilleries to make an piperunner, so you will likely to be outnumbered by your opponent and crushed if you don't build it with a proper timing. but in high fund games i believe piperunner will be a very good choice.
Divva
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby funwes » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:08 pm

GREET DEATH

Made with Headphone's map maker. Like it says in the first comment, I'm most concerned about balancing a 5 base map, the predeployed BBs (which seem okay), the comm tower placement (which have been moved once already). After the edits, I'm a bit iffy about the port dealio and if it would work with one able to only produce landers/bboats and the other can make anything on both the NW and SE naval fronts. I would think that air units can balance that out if it's really that big of a deal.

And I have no clue who to ban because there seems to be more and more debate on who is better than who lately, so.../shrug
Code: Select all
Mr--Clean> that moment when you put something in your mouth and you have NO idea what it is and spit it out

Walker> i was innocent once
Walker> then loli came along
funwes
CO
CO

Postby Walker » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:23 pm

Well you don't have to worry about bans, wes. That's up to whoever wants to play on your map haha.

As for the edits, I think it looks pretty good now. With as many bases and airports as you have now though (7 bases, 2 airports), you would probably want more funding than you have there to encourage naval units. You'd either want to cut down on production facility count or remove the airports. I think the map does just fine without emphasizing naval units though.
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby blanci1 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:44 am

@funwes.. thats an interesting/realistic looking biggie...
i think big maps have a special gameplay when the number of bases are relatively lowish ...(so that it plays quite differently from just a bunch of normal maps "stuck together") .. ..see how tests go.
blanci1
Artillery
Artillery

Postby funwes » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:30 am

I do want to have something of naval units, even if its only transportation. Like I said in my map comment, what about removing the neutral base in the SW/NE corners (where the TG infantry is not on the base)? I think I could go with changing that to a city, but I still sort of want that middle base to have something of a chance. Maybe even make it an airport, and remove one of the airports already on the island?
Mr--Clean> that moment when you put something in your mouth and you have NO idea what it is and spit it out

Walker> i was innocent once
Walker> then loli came along
funwes
CO
CO

Postby Kamuscha » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:38 am

I still love you! Tonight, your true love will realize they truly miss you. You will get a shock of a lifetime tomorrow. If you break the chain, you will be cursed with relationship problems for the next 2 years. Karma's a bitch, I know. If there is someone you love, and can't get them out of your mind, repost this paragraph as "I still Love you"
Kamuscha
CO
CO

Postby marxistplot » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:52 pm

marxistplot
Recon
Recon

Postby hetchel » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:32 pm

What do you mean by "no HQ means it's a race to secure the 4 exposed labs"?
Is there something I should know? Do labs count as HQ when there is no HQ?
hetchel
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Postby marxistplot » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:41 pm

Yah I've had problems with people not knowing about the lab thing..

When there are no hqs you win capture victory by taking control the labs.. they work like hqs except you're still in the game as long as you have 1, and they don't give 1000 income like hqs do.. I thought everyone knew that XD
marxistplot
Recon
Recon

Postby Walker » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:00 pm

I thought everyone knew that XD

Nah, we need to get that sort of information into the WIki. It's only commonly known if you happen to see a thread where it's mentioned.

As for your map marxistplot, it looks pretty well-made. I like the idea, I like the terrain variety and the city placement, it's all very nice. I have a couple things that can be improved though.

- The corners won't see much action. You might want to consider adding a broken pipe seam that allows only infantry and air units to access the corners from the starting section. For instance, you could break the pipe above the JS airport and put a mountain where the city is. That could help stimulate some fighting in those areas. You could also consider adding (non-broken) pipe seams near the base areas, but that might ruin the map more than anything.

- The center of the map is a bit open. You did a good job with the placement of the central cities, they should be nicely contested and provoke a lot of fighting around them. But I'd like to see a couple of strategically-placed defensive points to build defenses around. For example, a mountain instead of a forest at (11,5) and (9,9) could be good.

- That extra corner road tile near the pair of central cities bugs me. Can you just remove it? :P

Nice map though, keep up the good work!
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby DJ Modulo » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:12 am

Haven´t been here in ages...

So here is my third map in total. Please rate it and comment on it, if you feel like it. I would appreciate the feedback.

http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=56332

DJ Modulo
DJ Modulo
Infantry
Infantry

Postby Walker » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:09 am

Just a few general comments:

- The neutral bases are far enough away from the starting bases and there are enough roads that you will probably have recon issues with disrupting the neutral base capture.

- 4 bases is probably okay for the map size, but a few more cities would be nice (3-4 per side).

- Two airports is kind of overkill.

- Making the corners infantry-accessible only seems strange. It cuts down the area of the map where fighting can happen and will make the fighting in those corners fairly uninteresting.

- I rather like how the center is set, with the road and city placement. You might want to consider making everything less straight and grid-like though, because it makes the map look a little bland. Add in some cooler mountain ranges or maybe small oceans/ponds, and it might help the visual appeal of the map.
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby DJ Modulo » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:31 am

Thank you very much for the feedback! Just changed the map; really looks nicer with the rivers and roads being a bit more narrow.
I would probably add some oceans, but one thing I really miss in the map editor are corner-beaches. They make smaller ponds look SO much better...

If there is more feedback to add, just let me know!
DJ Modulo
Infantry
Infantry

Postby Walker » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:58 am

There are still corner shoals. They don't show up in the map editor, but you can get them on maps. You just have to play around with it a little bit to learn how AWBW deals with shoals - sometimes they'll be facing the wrong way or won't turn out exactly how you like.
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Next

Return to Design Maps