AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Making Maps larger...?

Critique and discuss the design maps on AWBW

Moderator: Forum Mods

Making Maps larger...?

Postby TheUltimaDragon » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:18 pm

I only started playing this Yesterday, but I love strategy games. I like to create maps, but the 40x40 is just not creative enough. I have searched for a while and have not found a way to actually do it. Can it be done? Am I even aloud to do it? I have seen some pretty large maps, and I would like to create things like those.

Thanks

P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I couldn't find one that fit this specifically.
TheUltimaDragon
Infantry
Infantry

Re: Making Maps larger...?

Postby Heartless » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:40 pm

If it's not a sprite/joke map, then you should never make a map that has dimensions above 40x40. I speak from experience when I say they're very boring to play on and require much more than creativity to be great. 40x40 might not seem that big to a newbie, but really, it's huge. So yes, it CAN be done, but it shouldn't be if you're trying to be a serious map maker.
Heartless
Md. Tank
Md. Tank

Postby blanci1 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:41 am

Actually I think "largeness" is not the main problem with large maps. It is really probably the number of cities and bases etc and concurrent infantry spam and high unit numbers that causes large maps to be boring. It ends up like 2 or 3 normal maps stuck together, which is just more clicking.

However, if we keep the number of bases and cities down say to a similar total as a normal size map , then that may work out quite well and somewhat different gameplaywise than the norm. ( Im thinking here of some specific maps..like red11s "lions" by lake map, that worked nicely, though it doesnt have to be predeployed) . The Game will need relatively more movement and directs and more transports. Could be fun.

Basically take any normal map and kind of stretch everything out but keeping the number of bases and cities the same. Perhaps put a couple of extra cities near at hand to get income up reasonably quickly to encourage early transport, so as to help capture phase speediness (or have some predeployed transports... though this would need care to avoid first turn advantage FTA balance problems). It would be good to have some maps which really demand or make you wonder whether to get APC or other transport for the capture phase. Most normal maps are so small it is almost always better to simply run infantries across 3 or 4 days and not buy APC, saving the money. It might be interesting if some early APC were needed to get your income up. A whole lot more choices early on.
blanci1
Artillery
Artillery

Postby Mr--Clean » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:31 pm

Its pretty tough to make a good plus 40x40 but dont rule it out and say its impossible. A lot of work would be needed to put into it so its not too slow or to fast but it can be done if you are creative enough. Would be cool to see this though I doubt it can be done because of the amount of memory that would take
Mr--Clean
Artillery
Artillery

Postby blozzee » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:35 am

It's utterly stupid if you want to spend 3-5 days just move your unit from point A to B..this only occur in huge map
Last edited by blozzee on Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
blozzee
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Postby blanci1 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:14 am

@ mr clean... sure, already 39x39 is pretty big .. i dont suggest more than that unless you really got something special in mind.
@blozzee.... yeah sure... i m suggesting say 4 or 5 days for infantry to reach centre ... while a tank /AA would arrive in 2 (or 3 ish) ... thus making APC and transports a clear good option or even a necessity in capture phase. (at present, APC are pretty well unnecessary for capture phase on nearly all current maps). With apc obviously even infantry would get around quickly so ..yeah im not trying to make something slow and boring at all.
blanci1
Artillery
Artillery

Postby Mr--Clean » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:11 pm

One word: Pre-deployed

*Bases optional
Mr--Clean
Artillery
Artillery

Postby blozzee » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:32 am

Huge map has a lot properties to capture which means CO like sasha would obviously be broken due to her d2d advantage.
blozzee
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Postby blanci1 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:13 am

blozzee wrote:Huge map has a lot properties to capture ...

...if we keep the number of properties down to a similar number as on a small map, then it might be interesting and a bit different. A lower density of cities.. Or perhaps clumps of cities interspersed with very low city density terrain/desert/forest... might encourage APCs more.
blanci1
Artillery
Artillery

Postby Mister X! » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:23 am

Huge maps seem to load slower! If that is the case there is no point making maps too big.
Mister X!
Infantry
Infantry

Postby Azzaphox » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:11 am

OK, please take aside the argument about whether or not you WANT or SHOULD make a map over 40x40.

Now, can anyone answer the question about how one does make a bigger map?

Do you have to use a map design programme and then upload over onto AWBW?
SInce the map maker inside AWBW is limited to the 40x40?

(As a side note , yes, I do enjoy playing on big maps with lots of terrain, preferably in FoW so you have to scout out the battlefield.
Will try to make a 40x40 that addresses this.. probably a 4p one although it could work as 2p maybe)
More Strategy, less Real Time
Azzaphox
Tank
Tank

Postby Azzaphox » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:36 am

ok ,i checked out the three linked map making programmes and they all max out at 40 x 40.
I will try to find out form the author of the 'Earthling' map, since that one is way over 40 x 40

Also, I think the notion of having numerous small clusters of settlements to fight over is an interesting one.
Not just one set of factories on the baseline and evenly distributed cities between.
Azzaphox
Tank
Tank

Postby Walker » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:58 am

In all seriousness, the map designing tools are capped at 40 for a reason. The bigger the map, the more space it takes on the site. So if we had everyone running around making huge maps, the site would get noticeably slower, and no one wants that. Plus, 40x40 is already pretty damn big, and it's unlikely that more than that is needed for a serious map.
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Azzaphox » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:09 pm

Walker,

I am a little saddened that you did not read my text.

I know it is a consensus view amongst people who like to play the game one certain way that doing anyhing else is not worthwhile.
however, i am keen to find out how things can be done differently.
Azzaphox
Tank
Tank

Postby Walker » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:09 pm

I did read your post, actually, so cheer up. You said:

Azzaphox wrote:OK, please take aside the argument about whether or not you WANT or SHOULD make a map over 40x40.

And I pointedly ignored your request, because whether you should do something or not plays a large role on whether or not it's worth doing, and also on whether or not anyone should bother putting effort into helping you with it. Besides, what you said really has nothing to do with the fact that making huge maps is a drain on the site's resources, which is one of the reasons we have a map size limit, as I was kindly pointing out to you.

And you can hardly accuse me of being a person who views doing things a different way as "not worthwhile". I think I'm actually the person most responsible for trying to innovate new things on AWBW recently. And there's nothing to stop you from trying to make your ludicrously big maps, but don't get upset when people give an opinion about it that you don't like. :wink:
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Next

Return to Design Maps