AW/FE by Web

AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Help Fix Winding Series (Cliff Especially)

Critique and discuss the design maps on AWBW

Moderator: Forum Mods

Help Fix Winding Series (Cliff Especially)

Postby MetalheadSen » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:29 pm

I'm YuGiOh15, a map-maker / player from way back.

Here's my dilemma:
http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=13540
Winding Cliff.

I always considered it my masterpiece along with Winding Race, but I need to fix the FTA counter. Is there anyone who has a solution?
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWA!
MetalheadSen
Infantry
Infantry

Postby Completeduck » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:37 pm

Even though I don't like the map because of it's strategic points, i'll give you advice. It is almost impossible to have an adequate FTA counter on a pre-deployed 1 starting base game. I suggest you get rid of OS infantry, and change the neutral Base closest to HQs to their corresponding Country's side.

Only have one BM infantry and place it on... erm.. well...
Either on the HQ or on the second BM base. (Preferable the base)
(Can't decide which is better, get airport first or city/base first)
I would get rid of the central property base, because there is no way to remove or almost completely lower the FTA from it.
I WANNA BE THE GUY!
Completeduck
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Postby xushu » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:34 pm

All of the OS infantry should go, and BM's single FTA infantry should be on the pre-owned base. CompleteDuck is right about the central city... it is always going to favor OS over BM, so may be remove the center city and place two cities to even that out. Although, looking at it further, you could opt to keep the center open (or close it off to have two fronts).

The neutral bases toward the center of the map looks close to me... I dunno why, but I think I would like those bases a little further from the center. Again, that is a personal preference.
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die. " Sima Yi
xushu
Tank
Tank

Postby funwes » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:44 pm

Duck: Bases are, 99% of the time, the best thing to capture first over anything else.

As for the FTA counter, it's hard to counter it on a one base map. Since FTA counters usually put player 2 at a half turn advantage, a one infantry-two base setup is ideal. So basically, make that close base to be preowned and remove all infantry. Then set one BM infantry on either base (probably southern). I know you're going for something different here, but it just won't be balanced the way it is.

And the center city is...ew
Code: Select all
Mr--Clean> that moment when you put something in your mouth and you have NO idea what it is and spit it out

Code: Select all
Walker> i was innocent once
Walker> then loli came along
funwes
CO
CO

Return to Design Maps