It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Fortified Strongholds

Critique and discuss the design maps on AWBW

Moderator: Forum Mods

Fortified Strongholds

Postby MarioFanaticXV » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:40 pm

http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=48325

This map is an attempt to create the feel of two medieval style fortresses besieging one another. I'm fully aware that the "ballistae" are incapable of refueling, this was done intentionally, so that they couldn't just rain death from afar indefinitely. It's not really meant for serious play, but as long as you set it to Capture 17, it should be fairly balanced.

Regardless, I'm thinking of either removing the Com Tower, but I'm not sure if I should replace it with a mountain, a base, or an airport.

Suggested Rules:
  • Capture: Off or 16/17 (16 if I end up removing the Com Tower in the center; either way, if a castle is entirely surrounded, the other player has pretty much won anyways.)
  • Banned COs: Standard fare.
  • Weather: Rain or Random
  • Fog of War: Off; it works on, but I prefer that rain actually be game changing.
Last edited by MarioFanaticXV on Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The mind shall vanquish the sword." - Richard Cansino as Sima Yi in Dynasty Warriors 5
MarioFanaticXV
Infantry
Infantry

Postby Falkenwing » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:43 pm

the map is extremly bland and the fortress is extremely chokey, which was the point?eh?
Falkenwing
Md. Tank
Md. Tank

Postby MarioFanaticXV » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:59 pm

Falkenwing wrote:the map is extremly bland and the fortress is extremely chokey, which was the point?eh?

The "chokey" part, yes. I'm wondering if I should have added in pipe joints to allow the "castle walls" to "fall", but then the rockets in there could easily refuel, and have more of them come in as backup.

As for bland, I'm not entirely sure what you mean; exactly how would I go about avoiding being "bland"?
"The mind shall vanquish the sword." - Richard Cansino as Sima Yi in Dynasty Warriors 5
MarioFanaticXV
Infantry
Infantry

Postby Snack » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:08 am

Not to sound harsh but there are a lot of issues around....

*What falken means is there is little variation in terrain, and it is true. throw some more roads, properties, mountains etc. around but not so much that it gets bogged down.

*With a 1 tile chokepoint and almost unkillable indirects (as well as possible piperunners), the map will slow to a halt and stalemate near any HQ area. I'd recommend you remove the 2 sea tiles from each chokepoint and maybe put pipe seams out front to make indirects easier to kill

*As is the ports are nearly useless since the area to use them is incredibly limited. You can give transports a better use by turning some of the plains along the edge into shore. DO NOT put shore on the end as it will obviously block all other naval units

*The base positioning encourages FTA a little bit, a sugguestion would be to move one apiece a little bit closer to each side.
Snack
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MarioFanaticXV » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:11 am

Snack wrote:Not to sound harsh but there are a lot of issues around....

*What falken means is there is little variation in terrain, and it is true. throw some more roads, properties, mountains etc. around but not so much that it gets bogged down.

*With a 1 tile chokepoint and almost unkillable indirects (as well as possible piperunners), the map will slow to a halt and stalemate near any HQ area. I'd recommend you remove the 2 sea tiles from each chokepoint and maybe put pipe seams out front to make indirects easier to kill

*As is the ports are nearly useless since the area to use them is incredibly limited. You can give transports a better use by turning some of the plains along the edge into shore. DO NOT put shore on the end as it will obviously block all other naval units

*The base positioning encourages FTA a little bit, a sugguestion would be to move one apiece a little bit closer to each side.

Honesty is never too harsh, you've nothing to fear.

> Hmm, I think I might have gone a little overboard this time, but I went ahead and added some.

> This was more or less intentional; castles are not meant to be easy to assault, and sieges should be long, drawn out battles. Realistically speaking, most successful sieges were won by starvation, morale, and disease, not by actual combat; hence my suggestion for a capture victory. As for the Pipe Runners, I'll address those with the FTA...

>A very good point. I've worked it into my most recent version.

>I went ahead and moved the bases adjacent to the HQs. This eliminates the fear of Piperunners, and moves them closer to the cities simultaneously. I have not, however, moved the infantry, as I think it remains balanced with it where it is.
MarioFanaticXV
Infantry
Infantry

Postby Harti » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:20 am

The idea itself is really nice, I seriously feel like creating a fortress 2P map now... but that's gotta wait.

You definitely should put these neutral bases closer towards the castles methinks. The center is looking quite okay now but not much like a battlefield between two castles ;)
The IRC wrote:[23:17] <Glenstorm> I'm just a jerk
[23:17] <Glenstorm> why do you listen to me
[00:39] <Smacky> I think loli should be illegal
[00:39] <Smacky> and star craft
[21:22] <airob> i´ll brb in some minutes...i´m doing some pies
[21:22] <airob> :P
Harti
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby MarioFanaticXV » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:39 am

Harti wrote:The idea itself is really nice, I seriously feel like creating a fortress 2P map now... but that's gotta wait.

You definitely should put these neutral bases closer towards the castles methinks. The center is looking quite okay now but not much like a battlefield between two castles ;)

For some reason, I read "bases" as "cities" when Snack posted it, having a second person say it seems to have cleared that up.

I went ahead and switched them with a couple road tiles.
MarioFanaticXV
Infantry
Infantry

Postby Harti » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:51 am

I just figured that factory capture disruption is easily possible by:
- building a day 2 Recon
- moving the Rockets, breaking a seam by day 3 and sending your predeployed recon...

Fix those two things (i.e. remove the northwestern and southeastern roads) and the map should be quite fair too. =)
The IRC wrote:[23:17] <Glenstorm> I'm just a jerk
[23:17] <Glenstorm> why do you listen to me
[00:39] <Smacky> I think loli should be illegal
[00:39] <Smacky> and star craft
[21:22] <airob> i´ll brb in some minutes...i´m doing some pies
[21:22] <airob> :P
Harti
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby MarioFanaticXV » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:35 am

I see the problem of which you speak, but I've opted for a different solution. This should prevent the rockets from breaking the seams too early.
MarioFanaticXV
Infantry
Infantry

Postby Felix45 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:11 pm

FTA problems. at the very least move the BM infantry one space to the right.
[23:09] <Gabo> hey guys, i have a question
[23:09] <Gabo> is it possible to transfer games from one account toanother on steam?
[23:09] <felix45> fire away lotion master
[23:10] <felix45> ROFL
[23:10] <Gabo> =_=
[23:10] <felix45> sorry I cant let that go :P
[23:10] <felix45> oh and I dont think so gabo
[23:10] <Gabo> the worst part is that i do like lotions <_<
Felix45
CO
CO

Postby nerd-boy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:34 am

^What Felix said.

This way, the BM infantry can either a) get a better headstart on the neutral base, or b) leapfrog to the third neutral city by the "home base" section.
Glenstorm: .... I like 7-up better Sprite is bubbles and taste while 7-up is better bubbles and better taste and then u have the cherry 7up
nerd-boy
CO
CO

Postby MarioFanaticXV » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:28 am

Done.

And no one has a problem with the lone communications tower?
MarioFanaticXV
Infantry
Infantry

Postby Falkenwing » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:31 pm

There is [size=0]still[/size] FTA on the center bases. If player OS buidls a tank from that base every turn, Bm can only counter, thus causing FTA.
Falkenwing
Md. Tank
Md. Tank

Return to Design Maps