AW/FE by Web

AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

My Maps

Critique and discuss the design maps on AWBW

Moderator: Forum Mods

Postby Fungi127 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:44 pm

I've got two new maps, both of which are 2 players. I know MIG isn't all that great, but I'd like feedback on Paradox in a Box. Thanks.

Men in Gray
Paradox in a Box
Deep into that darkness peering...
long I stood there,
wondering...
fearing...
doubting...
Fungi127
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Postby Fungi127 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:33 pm

One new map this time, another 2 player, Xian. Image

Oh and I'll fix up the rest of my maps whenever I get a good long hot afternoon that I don't have anything better to do than do map stuff.
long I stood there,
wondering...
fearing...
doubting...
Fungi127
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Postby Harti » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:06 am

Your recent maps seem a bit narrow and overterrained on the first glance.
The IRC wrote:[23:17] <Glenstorm> I'm just a jerk
[23:17] <Glenstorm> why do you listen to me
[00:39] <Smacky> I think loli should be illegal
[00:39] <Smacky> and star craft
[21:22] <airob> i´ll brb in some minutes...i´m doing some pies
[21:22] <airob> :P
Harti
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Fungi127 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:05 am

mmm... too much roads and forests, still, I'd guess. I'll take out some of the terrain on some of these. I'll broaden the latest one - maybe I'll take out a mountain or just use up some of the sea. Alright. Well, thanks Harti.
long I stood there,
wondering...
fearing...
doubting...
Fungi127
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Postby Clover_Fanboy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:05 pm

Cool map, but I see Lash, Sami, and Rachel being a tad problematic because of all the terrain slowing things down...
- Was asked to visit the boards, so i'll be around :P

I'll always be on Steam and on MTGO most times so catch me there. PM me for details.
Clover_Fanboy
Artillery
Artillery

Postby Fungi127 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:37 pm

Got a new map.

Helmet Image

Another 4 player team map, can't really work any other way. Probably too many roads, not enough plains (still), but I think I'm getting better.

Again, love the replies and suggestions. Thanks. :)
long I stood there,
wondering...
fearing...
doubting...
Fungi127
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Postby Falkenwing » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:25 pm

With your 4P map, rocket lockdowns are 100% with no failure, because you can easily use mchs to meatshield, (mechs because the map oonly have a few mountains, and mechs can coveer all mountains with no movement penalties), OMG HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I SAID ROCKET LOCKDOWNS IN 1 week lmao! Back on topic, rocket lockdowns yeh, and the map is really small to be 4player. Stalemates can be caused also.
Falkenwing
Md. Tank
Md. Tank

Postby Autumn Storm » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:56 am

Falkenwing wrote:With your 4P map, rocket lockdowns are 100% with no failure, because you can easily use mchs to meatshield, (mechs because the map oonly have a few mountains, and mechs can coveer all mountains with no movement penalties), OMG HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I SAID ROCKET LOCKDOWNS IN 1 week lmao! Back on topic, rocket lockdowns yeh, and the map is really small to be 4player. Stalemates can be caused also.

The fact that I rarely play should say something about the following b*tchfest.

Falkenwing, for god's sake, shut up. If you knew even a modicum of playing strategy, it wouldn't be so bad that you're pestering fungi about something that isn't a problem. What makes this bad is this: fungi has been making maps longer than you've even been on the forums, he just might know a thing or two about map making.

The fact that there's fewer mountains not only does nothing to increase the risk of lock down, it even decreases it. Chokepoints are what they are because a player would have the ability to "choke" the path with direct units made impassable by indirect units behind those blocking. This isn't DoR; Mechs strengthen meatshields, not make them. Do you really think, considering how close you would be to rocket lock, that the losing team had any chance in hell? Mind you this is coupled with the fact that for this to happen, the winning team would need to have enough funds per turn to comfortably make a rocket. In the rare even that this MAY happen, guess what you have? A team mate. Good luck locking both down.

Before you try to speak down to an established map maker again, take a moment to check over and make sure you aren't making a total ass of yourself in the process.
Autumn Storm
CO
CO

Postby Fungi127 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:43 am

Falkenwing wrote:With your 4P map, rocket lockdowns are 100% with no failure, because you can easily use mchs to meatshield, (mechs because the map oonly have a few mountains, and mechs can coveer all mountains with no movement penalties), OMG HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I SAID ROCKET LOCKDOWNS IN 1 week lmao! Back on topic, rocket lockdowns yeh, and the map is really small to be 4player. Stalemates can be caused also.

Aughh... such a horrendous affront to the English language. Normally, I'd try to translate it into something I could read, but then I realized it's none other than Falkenwing, and that all the effort that I'd put into trying to read this monstrosity would yield very few, if any, results.

And so, here is Falkenwing's post, translated to best of my ability with everything that I deemed unnesessary cut out.

Falkenwing wrote:With your new 4p map, Helmet, there may be some issues with rocket base lockdown by the Pink and Purple player. Your map is also really small and it could be a bit stalematey.

I'm never going to do that again, and this is giving Falconewing the benefit of the doubt that it was trying to communicate something meaningful.

Regarding your (assumed) problems with the map, yes it is small, I made it that way. Symmetrical maps are prone to stalemates. Regarding the rocket issue, it may come up and it may be a major factor in a game. I'm sure at some point after I had made this map and played it against dumb AI I thought I should probably move the bases a bit before I publish it here and I merely forgot to move them a tile apart. However, I'm reluctant to change a map based solely on your input for reasons I'd rather not delve into.
long I stood there,
wondering...
fearing...
doubting...
Fungi127
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Postby Falkenwing » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:53 am

he does know, it's just that Helmet's small area will cause rocket lockdowns and stalemates.
Falkenwing
Md. Tank
Md. Tank

Postby Fungi127 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:53 am

Looks like I need to look at my map before I critique it. There are six spaces from base to base, so a rocket can't cover it from the base. Uh... wow. I feel like a dumbass.
long I stood there,
wondering...
fearing...
doubting...
Fungi127
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Postby YukiKitsune » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:24 pm

Maybe I should have pointed that out sooner.

I'll say it again here, Falkenwing doesn't know what hes talking about. Don't listen to him. At all.
Last edited by YukiKitsune on Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YukiKitsune
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Falkenwing » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:26 pm

Rocket lockdowns don't just take 1 turn....
Falkenwing
Md. Tank
Md. Tank

Postby Harti » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:28 pm

An efficient rocket lockdown is nearly impossible here (unless you're Grit or Jake with COP).

EOD
The IRC wrote:[23:17] <Glenstorm> I'm just a jerk
[23:17] <Glenstorm> why do you listen to me
[00:39] <Smacky> I think loli should be illegal
[00:39] <Smacky> and star craft
[21:22] <airob> i´ll brb in some minutes...i´m doing some pies
[21:22] <airob> :P
Harti
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby xushu » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:38 pm

All the aforementioned aside ~_~;;

Looking at the map, Rockets might be an issue, but only later in the match. If it is going to be a point of contention, I would just recommend banning them. Personally, I have always liked smaller maps more than larger ones, so I appreciate what you are aiming for with the size.

However, there is a few issues that ought be addressed. The close quarters of this map makes those with awesome movement top tier (Lash, Sami, Adder, Koal, Sturm). Also, there is a slight issue with FTA, seeing that the first player will have a positional advantage sooner than the second player. I suppose with an ABBA set up, this might have be countered, but initially it looks a touch problematic, hence why I mention it. If you are looking for play-testers, I would be interested, if nothing else, to see if my comments were half-way constructive/accurate. ^_^
xushu
Tank
Tank

PreviousNext

Return to Design Maps