Colosseum Season 6 (OUTDATED)

Forum for AWBW Tournaments

Moderator: Forum Mods

Colosseum Season 6 (OUTDATED)

Postby Walker » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:50 am

Please refer to this post for updated information regarding Colosseum Season 6:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13907&p=243286#p243286

Old Information
Last edited by Walker on Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Re: Colosseum Season 6

Postby Kamuscha » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:26 pm

In ahead of time. I want 4 HF lol.

I still love you! Tonight, your true love will realize they truly miss you. You will get a shock of a lifetime tomorrow. If you break the chain, you will be cursed with relationship problems for the next 2 years. Karma's a bitch, I know. If there is someone you love, and can't get them out of your mind, repost this paragraph as "I still Love you"
Kamuscha
CO
CO

Postby Hellraider » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:53 pm

I already mentioned before that I'd prefer a total split of the categories. It only makes sense that someone who for instance excels in FoW gets rewarded or recognized for it, so even if the competition is a bit more casual, separate rankings would be nice. I wouldn't be surprised if the demands for the different game modes would vary and it would be bad for anyone to be turned off because he doesn't like one certain type.
Hellraider
Rocket
Rocket

Postby Walker » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:09 pm

Yeah Hel, that's one of the other options for sure. If there's enough interest from people to support separate divisions for FoW and HF, I would consider it. We'd have to change the names from "Division" to something else though.

I'm still not sure how it'd work though. Would it be a division for FoW, HF, and Misc? Or just do FoW and HF divisions and scrap Misc. altogether? Or have FoW and HF divisions with Misc. games played in both divisions? There's a lot of options.

Also, I assume you're suggesting that each division would still have a 6-game season. But then if someone wanted to do FoW and HF, that bumps it up to a 12-game season, or more if we have a Misc. division too. That's a lot of games at once, and that's a lot more work for me coming up with maps and settings each month...

The way I see it, Colosseum Season 6 isn't so much about recognizing people for excelling in FoW or HF or whatever. If you're playing in Colosseum it should be because you want to play fair, but more casual games in a game mode that you don't see normally on AWBW. I don't think the emphasis is on trying to win your division - the separation of divisions and the moving up/down at the end of the season is just to try to have fair matchups. Rather, the emphasis is to provide something new and unique, namely playing HF, FoW, broken CO, or gimmick map matchups. I envision it as a competition only in a very loose sense of the word.

If we want to have a competitive form of FoW, HF or miscellaneous games, I'd suggest doing something different from Colosseum. A ladder would make more sense to me. I wouldn't mind running a FoW, HF, broken CO ladder etc, but I don't know if there's enough interest to sustain that... That's why I suggested Colosseum as I did.

But really, I'm curious to hear what other people want. And if no one wants anything, I'll just do whatever I want. :)
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Hellraider » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:18 pm

Details would of course have to be figured out after it is known how many people have interest in what. But the baseline of my suggestion is running FoW and HF as if it is was two colosseums running at once (albeit both with a lower game/month ratio). I don't think misc sounds overly interesting but there might be some people who like that too.
Hellraider
Rocket
Rocket

Postby Walker » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:24 pm

Miscellaneous, as I imagine it, would be broken COs and gimmick maps. For instance, aerial play maps, black tile maps, or a variety of maps with a really cool out-of-the-box concept (see Airplane Blockades, APC Factory, Stormiest Glen, Close But No Cigar, etc). You could do a variety of other things too, but the focus would be on unique games that you don't normally see otherwise.
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Mr--Clean » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:27 pm

I kind of like the idea of keeping all of them in one group. If someone wants to excel in FoW then they have their own league for that. The colosseum rankings should determin who is the greatest master of ALL alt settings not just the ones of their choice.
Mr--Clean
Artillery
Artillery

Postby ichbinsehselber » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:46 am

It is a very nice idea. To play in those 3 categories. Sounds interesting.

I have one question and 2 suggestions for rule updates:

1.) What happens if in one division only 1 player does not want to play in one specific category?
2.) The Boot AET period is relatively short. It would be nice to increase the time to allow people who can e.g. only or primarily play on weekends to participate.
3.) In FOG there is the glitch that a unit moves on a capturing infantry and the capture status is reset. This glitch should be allowed since it is practically impossible to control.
ichbinsehselber
Tank
Tank

Postby blanci1 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:47 am

there are a lot of great ideas above. But there might be too many ingredients and confusing. I think the coloseum might be more attractive with a particular theme rather than many themes.
Suggestion...

At least 3 of the usual (old) leagues have only a couple of players, and are virtually dead. Those could be scrapped and instead introduce a High Fund league, and Broken League, and a Crazy/Unusual(miscellaneous) Maps League. These new kind of games probably would be great for the old league system just as a simple way to get them up and running and to test out the ideas, without being overly competitive .

Perhaps coloseum could have larger divisions as suggested above, and the coloseum theme could use Smackcakes idea from NHB tourney.. that in coloseum everyone plays on the same map in each round. (this would reduce the admin work... choosing maps, CO choices, conditions much less work).
The coloseum finishes usually in a couple of months. We could say..the coming season be no fog., the next season all fog, the next season mixed, the next season.... might be time for a HF ,,, and so on.

Just some ideas for the melting pot... if they are not liked , just ignore them.
blanci1
Artillery
Artillery

Postby ichbinsehselber » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:29 pm

blanci1 wrote:Those could be scrapped and instead

Why do you need to scrap something to introduce something new? There is totally no connection and no necessity.
ichbinsehselber
Tank
Tank

Postby Walker » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:42 pm

As for your 3 points above ichbin:

1) I"d have to look at it case-by-case, but I imagine it would just mean that person would play two "normal" games instead of whatever category they didn't want to play, and the two opponents for that game would lose out on one of the categories they wanted to play.
2) I see no problem with that, it just means that games will take longer to finish.
3) Yes, obviously glitches would have to be addressed. That sounds reasonable.

I also just wanted to reiterate:
If we want to have a competitive form of FoW, HF or miscellaneous games, I'd suggest doing something different from Colosseum. A ladder would make more sense to me. I wouldn't mind running a FoW, HF, broken CO ladder etc, but I don't know if there's enough interest to sustain that...
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby blanci1 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:37 am

ichbinsehselber wrote:
blanci1 wrote:Those could be scrapped and instead

Why do you need to scrap something to introduce something new? There is totally no connection and no necessity.

Yeah you are right . Sorry.... after reading previous posts elsewhere i thought there were some leagues with like only one player left in without any opponent, but even weather has 6 players so i guess thats fine for them. Donuts has 15 and the others have between 20 and 30, perfectly healthy. Maybe i was succumbing to the widespread "scrapping the old" idea, ... i have been rather stubborn lately over change.

Anyway what about the other ideas i mentioned which were really my main points.
blanci1
Artillery
Artillery

Postby Red11 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:56 am

I enjoyed the last two rounds the way they were. I'd rather continue in the same format.
Red11
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Postby Divva » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:46 am

Red11 wrote:I enjoyed the last two rounds the way they were. I'd rather continue in the same format.

Though i like the old colosseum system, but the games it provides is very close to those of the global league(non-fog, typical tiered bans, players close in ratings as opponents). Some players may prefer playing in colosseum if they don't have much time to play both because the WLD and ratings of global league will show in their profile, also it is more flexible if you wanna quit. The colosseum can hardly compete with the global league if it just go in the old way.

it seems this colosseum is bit like old leagues with new themes, except for classifying players according to their levels. I think it's better to survey how much players are interested in this new mode. anyway fog and high fund players seems to be the minority.
Divva
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Walker » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:09 pm

Okay, here's what's going to happen. If you are interested in playing in Colosseum Season 6, please post in the Colosseum Signup thread.

When you post please include which categories of games you would be interested in playing. You can choose as many of the categories as you like.

The 4 categories of games are:

1) High Funds (HF) games - Funds are set between 2000-3000 per property, and games will be played on specially designed High Funds maps. Please refer to this thread for details.

2) Fog of War (FoW) games - Games are played with FoW on. I will try to use maps that are meant for FoW play... it will not be the same type of maps that you find in the Fog League (League 8 ).

3) Miscellaneous (Misc.) games - This will be variety of games. It will include:
- Games with broken COs
- Games with different modes, like all air-batlle or predeployed units or capture limits
- Games on interesting or unique maps; you can look in the Toy Box to get an idea of some maps I might choose (maps like Close But No Cigar, Stormiest Glen, Airplane Blockades - not maps like Hide and Seek or Battleship :wink: )

4) Normal games - These will be similar to what you found in the Colosseum in the past, or what you find in the Global League.

For example, if you would want to play HF and Misc. games, but not FoW or normal, this is what you would post when you sign up:
Theoretical person signing up wrote:I'd like to play in Colosseum Season 6. I'm interested in HF and Misc.

After signups close, I will figure out the format for Colosseum based on how many people want each different category. I will try to keep it as close to current Colosseum format as possible, but I might have to make some adjustments. For now, just post which categories you are interested in when you sign up.

Thanks!
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Next

Return to AWBW Tournaments