Re: DART Season 3 - Round 2

Postby Mcluvin » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:28 am

If one of them gets captured, you lose.
Mcluvin
Tank
Tank

Postby Abroxas » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:17 pm

I feel I'm about to mess up. After xushu and walkerboh resigned or get bootet, US took place of all the connection points of the black "canals" before I could get my hands on it. Follow this link for instance and observe how US had had his units on the northern side ready to invade the empty-left areas.
I wonder if there is a possibility for me and US to fight each other under different conditions. I feel a little bit overwhelmed. I think that US luckily got a higher amount of advantage since he've got a tank at the right place when xushu resigned and no competition after walker had resigned.

I don't want to exaggerate things. I might have missed my own chance to coincidentally build my tanks at the right moment, but I barely had a chance to compete Ultra Storms invading ambitions and I'd like to have a try against US on new, unspoiled ground.

Opinions?

EDIT: I've fixed the link. I've noticed coincidentally that it was broken.
If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
Abroxas
Tank
Tank

Postby Ultra Storm » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:02 pm

Abroxas wrote:I feel I'm about to mess up. After xushu and walkerboh resigned or get bootet, US took place of all the connection points of the black "canals" before I could get my hands on it. Follow this link for instance and observe how US had had his units on the northern side ready to invade the empty-left areas.
I wonder if there is a possibility for me and US to fight each other under different conditions. I feel a little bit overwhelmed. I think that US luckily got a higher amount of advantage since he've got a tank at the right place when xushu resigned and no competition after walker had resigned.

I don't want to exaggerate things. I might have missed my own chance to coincidentally build my tanks at the right moment, but I barely had a chance to compete Ultra Storms invading ambitions and I'd like to have a try against US on new, unspoiled ground.

Opinions?

EDIT: I've fixed the link. I've noticed coincidentally that it was broken.
It's true that my advantage could be called luck, since it's based on the turn order and resignations. However, we haven't seen rematches due to these reasons before and it's against the nature of the tournament. The current situation is also an inherent result of the map design. So, while I'd have good chances of winning a new 1-on-1 game, I can't see why it would be necessary in this tournament format.
Your notion of ”right” is what was imprinted in you since you were young.
Ultra Storm
CO
CO

Postby Mcluvin » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:42 pm

Haha.... Even a four-man alliance couldn't keep Ultra from winning. FAIL! :lol:

We all teamed up against him, but everyone lost interest/got busy.
Mcluvin
Tank
Tank

Postby Ploumeur » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:45 am

Well, if you follow strictly the rules, you could agree on a draw. Then I would restart the game with Abroxas, walkerboh, US and McLuvin next September.

I think the only thing which has screwed the tournament is the map, but I can't go back in time and change the map retroactively.

So the best thing for everyone would be:
- I remake the finale in a new 4P map with only Abroxas, Ultra Storm and two empty spots. US choose his spot then Abroxas choose his one.
- If there his a draw on this game, I restart it with Abroxas, walkerboh, US and McLuvin on the same map. Abroxas chooses everyone's spots.
Advance Wars best advice: "Build more infantries."
Ploumeur
Artillery
Artillery

Postby Walker » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:58 am

If you were to restart with a draw, I'd be able to play 100% for sure after August 18th (when I get back from Germany). Not that I'm advocating for this, as I resigned fair and square, but just saying.
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby xushu » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:30 pm

As per Walker, I am fine with whatever action you all deem fit; I resigned fearing that my work would keep me away from the site, which it had, so I suppose that my input does not matter all that much regardless.
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die. " Sima Yi
xushu
Tank
Tank

Postby Ultra Storm » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:15 pm

Ploumeur wrote:Well, if you follow strictly the rules, you could agree on a draw. Then I would restart the game with Abroxas, walkerboh, US and McLuvin next September.

I think the only thing which has screwed the tournament is the map, but I can't go back in time and change the map retroactively.

So the best thing for everyone would be:
- I remake the finale in a new 4P map with only Abroxas, Ultra Storm and two empty spots. US choose his spot then Abroxas choose his one.
- If there his a draw on this game, I restart it with Abroxas, walkerboh, US and McLuvin on the same map. Abroxas chooses everyone's spots.
I'm fine with continuing the current game and I doubt I'll agree to a draw. There have been no bailouts before for boots and resignations, so I see no reason to bring walkerboh or McLuvin back.

However, you're right about the map design being flawed. If you insist on restarting the game due to map imbalance, I think it would be better if we went straight to a 1 vs. 1 map. A 4P map with 2 empty spots will lead to a prolonged capture phase, slower game overall and possible new balance problems.
Ultra Storm
CO
CO

Postby Abroxas » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:44 pm

I've resigned. Ultra Storm is the winner.

clicki-di-deckidi-duck!

Originally I was trying to compete with US and to offer him at least a piece of a challenge. I resigned because the 9 HP tank and the stealth were rendered inmovable after I was trying to move them into the black squares in order to fill out the gap in the southwest corner. I'm still wondering why US left them open. Anyway, everytime I was trying to move these two units my browser load up a blank screen (one time with an error - 500 or 505, I can't remember). I have started the main page of AWBW again and went back into the game via the "Your Turn Games" menu. But the units I've tried to move were rendered black and no commands were available. The log does not give any information. And yes, every other unit was movable and reloading the page did not work.
I'm not sure why it didn't worked. Maybe my browser is just acting funny. But having the units, which were originally meant for another purpose, being inmovable this round and considering the overall disadvantageous position, I've decided to resign. Ultra Storm has won and I daresay he would have won either way. I'm sorry that I have to end the final round with such a pity turn.
If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
Abroxas
Tank
Tank

Postby Ultra Storm » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:50 pm

Abroxas wrote:I've resigned. Ultra Storm is the winner.

clicki-di-deckidi-duck!

Originally I was trying to compete with US and to offer him at least a piece of a challenge. I resigned because the 9 HP tank and the stealth were rendered inmovable after I was trying to move them into the black squares in order to fill out the gap in the southwest corner. I'm still wondering why US left them open. Anyway, everytime I was trying to move these two units my browser load up a blank screen (one time with an error - 500 or 505, I can't remember). I have started the main page of AWBW again and went back into the game via the "Your Turn Games" menu. But the units I've tried to move were rendered black and no commands were available. The log does not give any information. And yes, every other unit was movable and reloading the page did not work.
I'm not sure why it didn't worked. Maybe my browser is just acting funny. But having the units, which were originally meant for another purpose, being inmovable this round and considering the overall disadvantageous position, I've decided to resign. Ultra Storm has won and I daresay he would have won either way. I'm sorry that I have to end the final round with such a pity turn.
I left them open because I faced the same bug, of which I posted in the Bug Reports forum: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=13769&p=241871 It has something to do with black squares but I'm not sure of the exact reason. That is also why some of my other units left their turns unused.

In general, you didn't really stand a chance because you were unlucky with the turn order when the others resigned, giving me the control points of the map. It is an inherent problem with the map.
Ultra Storm
CO
CO

Previous

Return to AWBW Tournaments