Forum for AWBW Tournaments

Moderator: Forum Mods

AWBW Team Tournament

Postby Hellraider » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:20 pm

AWBW Team Tournament

Round 1

Monochrome Sky vs Crimson Tempest

Dystopia vs Thundering Planeswalkers

The seat A, 1, 3, 5 games are created by the team mentioned first. The seat B, 2, 4 games are created by the team mentioned second. Banlist refers to this topic.

- Brokens, Nell, Flak and Jugger are always banned. Additionally, Rachel, Sasha, Kindle, Hawke, Olaf and Drake are always banned in the 2vs2 games.
- Black Bombs are always banned.
- Boot/AET for all games is 5/5.

Seat One:

Hell's Delivery!!, Bans: Tier 1-3, Day: 30, Capture: 30

Seat Two:

Upping the Ante, Bans: Tier 1-2, Day: 35, Capture: 30

Seat Three:

Scorpion Operation, Bans: Tier 1, Day: 35, Capture: 30

Seat Four:

Bible Black, Bans: Sturm, Day: 35, Capture: 30

Seat Five:

Circles², Bans: Tier 1-2, Day: 40, Capture: 40

Seat A:

Close Quarter Teamwork, OS + YC vs BM + GE, Bans: Tier 1, Day: 35

Seat B:

Heartless' 2 vs 2, OS + YC vs BM + GE, Bans: Tier 1-3, Day: 35

Results:

Monochrome Sky 2:0 Crimson Tempest

walkerboh01 > Abroxas
DuelStriker > headphone

Dystopia 0:3 Thundering Planeswalkers

Shompiador_kalabaza < madcowz
funwes < blozzee
Harti < Dhomochevsky

Teams:

Monochrome Sky:

Rank 1 - Ultra Storm (Team Leader)
Rank 2 - excrimophalus
Rank 3 - walkerboh01
Rank 4 - xushu
Rank 5 - Tequila
Rank 6 - DuelStriker

Dystopia:

Rank 1 - Hellraider (Team Leader)
Rank 2 - Harti
Rank 3 - airob
Rank 4 - Shompiador_kalabaza
Rank 5 - funwes

Rank 6 - Usthepeople

Thundering Planeswalkers:

Rank 1 - Kamuscha (Team Leader)
Rank 2 - Dhomochevsky
Rank 3 - RockmanX_Zero
Rank 4 - McLuvin
Rank 5 - madcowz
Rank 6 - blozzee

Crimson Tempest:

Rank 1 - Sothis (Team Leader)
Rank 2 - Black Mont-Blanc
Rank 3 - fdkanns
Rank 4 - Evil_Cereal_Killer
Rank 5 - Abroxas
Rank 6 - headphone

Rules:

- Every team will face off against every other team in a match consisting of five 1vs1 games (called Seat 1 - Seat 5) and two 2vs2 games (called Seat A and Seat B)

- The team leader will choose which players play on which seat using this site and following rules

- Every player has to participate in at least one game per round. At the same time, every player can play in at most one 1vs1 and one 2vs2 game.

- Default order for the 5 players who play the 1vs1 games is the following. The highest ranked player plays on seat 1, the second-highest on seat 2 and so on. However, every player is allowed to play up to one seat higher or lower than this order would dictate. (1 is the highest rank)

- The sum of the ranks of the players in seat A must be equal or lower than the sum of the ranks of the players in seat B.

- A game won nets one point, a drawn game 1/2 points and a lost game 0 points.

- I scrapped the original idea here since we don't have enough teams. Whoever has most points wins. Period.

Guide to Harti's very kickass site he spent his time on

The first four slots are for Seat A and Seat B, while the last five slots are for Seat 1-5 in that order. If you want to submit your order, click on Submit Players/Assign Seats in the top left corner. Once you have submitted stuff you can't change it anymore though.

[size=0]------------------------------

So basically, I have wondered why nowadays people are not talking about AWBW games anymore. Watching other people play and trashtalking my opponents has always been fun and I am kind of missing it. When thinking about that fact, I came to the realization that there simply aren't a lot of tournaments running at the moment. There are the Colosseum and the Neo-ladder, but they have never managed to spark a lot of discussion. Walkerboh's tournament seems a bit overlooked, and DART/GT/NHB are in their final phase already.

Long story short, it is time for another tournament. There are some ideas I have, so tell me what you think about it and what you'd prefer.

- Team tournament

People get assigned into teams (or we go with team leaders who take turns choosing people) and battle it out all across the AWBW server! Using teams of five/four/three people, the basic idea is that each round they fight another team in five/four/three games in total. Usually you would expect the best of one team to fight against the best of the other team, but that has not to be the case. The teams are allowed to play around a bit, making it possible to assign players up to one (maybe two) places away from their seeded pool.

As an example, let us say that we have teams with three people each. A match against another team consists of three games, called seat one, seat two and seat three. So the best player of a team can play the seat one or two game, the second-best player can play every game and the third-best player can play the seat two or three game. With enough participants for teams with five people, I'd fancy a possible derivation of 2 seats to make things more exciting, although there may be too few actually close games at the end.

Good things about this tourney would be that we don't have to wait for specific games to end for another round to start and that the teams can have cool names. I guess it also improves communication between fellow players.

- Survival tournament

Probably double-elimination, the point of this would be to have some initial starting funds. That will be all the money you can use in the entire tournament, as the income in every game will be set to zero. Of course, this requires a lot of extra rules to work and make it somewhat fair. I have been thinking of banning every unit worth more than 20k, forcing players to build only infantry in the first few days, limiting the amount of funds you are allowed to spend per several turns or even per game, limiting the amount of md tanks, possible capture and day limits although it seems stupid without income, etc. And keeping track of how much money people actually have, seeing that you can't use different initial starting funds for the two players in a games.

More of a fun idea for some non-serious competition, and still needs heavy input.

- Handicap tournament

With a system similar to the point tournament Ultra Storm hosted once, you need to spend points in order to pick a CO. Better COs cost more points than others, and the idea now is to have better people have less points available. Format would be group stage with some playoffs in the end.

I could write more stuff but I am kind of tired now. So just tell me your thoughts, ideas, or just show general interest in joining whatever I end up hosting.[/size]
Last edited by Hellraider on Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Hellraider
Rocket
Rocket

Postby Cereal Killer » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:23 pm

You make a team tournament I'll join. I think the handicap one might piss a few people off, and the other one just seems too much like another tourney I played in on here (forgot which one by name.)
Cereal Killer
CO
CO

Location: Taking a temporary vacation from hell to go to college

Postby Hellraider » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:27 pm

If you mean the obligatory seeding, it will happen in the team tournament as well, since balanced teams would be a lot more fun than steamrolls. I must admit that it is my favourite as well though, and there is nothing that stops other people from adapting my ideas.
Hellraider
Rocket
Rocket

Postby airob » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:33 pm

In, team toruney ftw.

walkerboh on PM: Also it isn't a tag game either. Were you
drunk when you made this? haha

<@FCK> I just used scissors on some ass till they bled had just now
<@FCK> *hard

<Fanboy> doood
<airob> ?
<Fanboy> r u trying to seduce me O_O

<Walker> at least fdk only fucks with me

<Mr--Clean> well theres a new country
<Mr--Clean> called bare flesh
<Walker> Sounds hot. The HQ is probably a dick
airob
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Kamuscha » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:47 pm

I think the team tournament would the best bet since everyone's watching the world cup lol.

Handicap tournament: It may upset the upper tier players, but the higher level of challenge brings opportunities for a new set of gameplay. This is ideal for players who got balls.

Survival: I remember it being done with the limited funds tournament a while ago. It didn't go well due to lack of participation and stalling.
Kamuscha
CO
CO

Postby Walker » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:01 pm

You can count me in on any of these. The team tournament is definitely the best idea, that sounds awesome. I like the survival tournament too, but as you said, it would require a lot of work and rules, similar to the handicap tournament.

I can see the team tournament being a very fun, serious competition. The other two seem like they'd have to be more light-hearted or there would be a lot of bad blood/conflicts there. Good ideas though, I like where you're thinking :)
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby funwes » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:57 pm

In for team and handicap. It's time to put the SWHIP in ASSWHIPPING :twisted:

But seriously folks, I need to brush up on my skills and I would love a tournament :)
Code: Select all
Mr--Clean> that moment when you put something in your mouth and you have NO idea what it is and spit it out

Code: Select all
Walker> i was innocent once
Walker> then loli came along
funwes
CO
CO

Postby xushu » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:08 pm

airob wrote:In, team toruney ftw.

Need I say more? ^_~

I might even play in the handicap tourney too... I'll have to think about it.
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die. " Sima Yi
xushu
Tank
Tank

Postby excrimophalus 1 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:27 am

In. Team tourney sounds very cool.
The below statement is true.v

^ The above statement is false.
excrimophalus 1
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Postby DuelStriker » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:46 am

In. Team torunament sounds great.
READ the Grand Battle #2 today! You know you want to read it!
--
JOIN SKIES OF ARCADIA MAFIA ALREADY DAMMIT
---
22:38 airob: a f** would be anyone who calls me mexican
DuelStriker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Snack » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:43 am

Teams seems to be the popular pick here, prolly cause we've only had like 2 of the actual things as opposed to 1v1 based!
Snack
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby nyvelion » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:02 am

I'd join the team thing. But only if I can choose to be on the worst team, because I'd much rather be the best person on the worst team than an average person on the best team. I'll lead the team, and am currently looking for 4 others who are active on AWBW yet are much worse at it than I am.
nyvelion
Fighter
Fighter

Postby Hellraider » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:35 am

This is still supposed to be 1vs1 based, although it would be possible to scrap for instance the seat 5 game and replace it with a 2vs2 game instead, for some extra variation. I'll wait for people's input here.

And I've signed-up the people who explicitly declared their participation.

Edit @Nyv: Teams are going to be roughly balanced. However, you can still be the team leader if your teammates agree, but there is not much more to it than determining on which seats your players will play.
Hellraider
Rocket
Rocket

Postby Kamuscha » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:46 am

in
Kamuscha
CO
CO

Postby Tequila » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:06 pm

nyvelion wrote:I'd join the team thing. But only if I can choose to be on the worst team, because I'd much rather be the best person on the worst team than an average person on the best team. I'll lead the team, and am currently looking for 4 others who are active on AWBW yet are much worse at it than I am.

Count me in for that.
[21:28] Sneetch: If it's a friend or acquaintance's sister, I can tell them to tell their sister that the most awesome guy in the world is after them
[21:28] Sneetch: AND THEY'LL IMMEDIATELY LOVE ME!
[21:28] Sneetch: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA
Tequila
Infantry
Infantry

Next

Return to AWBW Tournaments