AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Colosseum

Forum for AWBW Tournaments

Moderator: Forum Mods

The Colosseum

Postby Hellraider » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:22 pm

First of all, a small introduction for all these people who haven't heard of this yet or simply aren't entirely familiar with it.

The Colosseum is supposed to be an alternative to the leagues for people who want to play with other players of similar skill, without the usual problems. In order to make this possible, there is a minimal effort the players have to put into this though. If you want to play here, you need to check thread for updates once in a while and also fill in the game results by yourself.

To ensure good games, players will be assigned to divisions at the beginning of the season. Obviously, the results of the last season will influence in which division you land. The current standings can be found in the topic with the title "The Colosseum - Season X". Once a game ended the winner of the game has the obligation to edit in the result by logging in with the "Ladder_admin" account. The password will be forwarded to new players. The general rules from season two on will be the following:

- There are 4 people per division.

- Every win gives 2 points, every draw 1 point.

- People will be ranked after their amount of points.

- At the end of the season, the first-ranked in every division will ascend to the next higher division while the one at the last place will descend. In case of equal points, tiebreaker rules will be applied.

- You'll play twice against every other player in your division in a rate of two games per month, making the season 3 months + possibly a bit extra time.

- At the beginning of every month, you will create one game and join another game (on another map). PM your opponent the password. More details about on which map and against who you play will be specified in the standings thread.

- Boot/AET for every game will be 4/4. You are allowed to go on vacation once per season. If really serious matters come up you can just ask for another vacation. Just refrain from disappearing without saying anything.

- Black Bombs are generally banned until further notice.

- If you get booted, you are not eligible to play for the rest of the season, you either leave the colosseum or get treated as descendant.

- Using the APC glitch is the only allowed glitch.

- Tiebreaker games will be played if two people have the same amount of points.

Results:

Season One
Season Two
Season Three

If you are interested, please sign-up in the thread I made specifically for that purpose. It is stickied, and not difficult to find. In case some questions arise, don't be afraid to post in the thread.
Last edited by Hellraider on Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:12 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Hellraider
Rocket
Rocket

Postby Hellraider » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:58 pm

If you want to discuss whether it is smart or not to give the people the Ladder_admin password, do it here. The sign-up thread is for sign-up purposes only.

I'll explain my thoughts behind my decision. The Ladder suffered from the problem that the thread was mainly cluttered with "I challenge Person X" or "I won/lost against Person Y" posts. Being forced to look through every single post was tiresome, and in the end all of us had lost the motivation to do so. It was very easy to simply overlook some posts, and some people didn't even bother to post at all, which made the rankings wrong too.
All these are things which I want to avoid by giving the players access to the account. Signing in, changing two numbers and possibly leaving a short note is a matter of about a minute, not much longer than posting the result.

Of course, there might be people who want to abuse that, but I believe that the majority here maybe isn't smart, but honest and will not willingly vandalize. Still, I will be making backups frequently (all of you are free to do so as well), so you don't have to worry about lost information. If an incident does occur, we will have to resort to the old method, which would be just sad. On the other side, if people just are too dumb/lazy to register their results, they simply shouldn't join.

Edit: And since I just saw Sothis' post in the other thread, I might add that the loser (if he resigns) is obligated to fill in the result. The winner does so when he won by rout or HQ capture. In case of a boot, the booted one will have all his games annulled anyway.
Hellraider
Rocket
Rocket

Postby Felix45 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:18 pm

are you certain it is a good idea to let everyone use the ladder admin account? I wouldn't be so sure that everyone will be fair with it, I think posting results would be a much better idea. its not that much of a hassle, and if you dont like sifting through trash talk or whatever make the results thread results only and all other posts get deleted or something.

oh and you should know, I will raaage if someone really does be the gayest troll ever and f*** with the results.

put this in here since you asked for it and edited it out in the other thread.
[23:09] <Gabo> hey guys, i have a question
[23:09] <Gabo> is it possible to transfer games from one account toanother on steam?
[23:09] <felix45> fire away lotion master
[23:10] <felix45> ROFL
[23:10] <Gabo> =_=
[23:10] <felix45> sorry I cant let that go :P
[23:10] <felix45> oh and I dont think so gabo
[23:10] <Gabo> the worst part is that i do like lotions <_<
Felix45
CO
CO

Postby EchelonThree » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:19 am

Felix45 wrote:are you certain it is a good idea to let everyone use the ladder admin account? I wouldn't be so sure that everyone will be fair with it, I think posting results would be a much better idea. its not that much of a hassle, and if you dont like sifting through trash talk or whatever make the results thread results only and all other posts get deleted or something.

oh and you should know, I will raaage if someone really does be the gayest troll ever and f*** with the results.

put this in here since you asked for it and edited it out in the other thread.

Yeah I'd have to go with Felix's point, giving out the password is going to allow people to troll the thing.
Kamuscha wrote:
nerd-boy wrote:Damn straight.
how is it straight if its been derailed? xD

Zovea on Rocket Armor
Zovea wrote:rocket armor isnt that much stronger than art armor anyways
EchelonThree
Rocket
Rocket

Postby funwes » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:54 pm

I don't like to make assumptions, so are the spaced lists in the sign up thread a hint at who would make what division?
Code: Select all
Mr--Clean> that moment when you put something in your mouth and you have NO idea what it is and spit it out

Walker> i was innocent once
Walker> then loli came along
funwes
CO
CO

Postby Dragunov14 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:02 pm

funwes wrote:I don't like to make assumptions, so are the spaced lists in the sign up thread a hint at who would make what division?

I think he's doing that to make it easier to count. Alchemi and clover in the same tier with mrapex and dhomo? :?
User has been banned from the forum ~ Smacky
Dragunov14
Fighter
Fighter

Postby funwes » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:07 pm

Good point.

I was mainly looking in my division and wondering what the hell he was thinking :P I ain't that good
Mr--Clean> that moment when you put something in your mouth and you have NO idea what it is and spit it out

Walker> i was innocent once
Walker> then loli came along
funwes
CO
CO

Postby blanci1 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:56 am

good job. Its a lot of work organising this kind of thing, .... hope it goes smoothly. Its a pity it cant be automated.. any reasons for that?

Also a couple of queries (i m not sure of my plans over the summer yet --and i dont want to join and get booted) ---

...End date for signing up?

....How long will a season last? ....(or does it depend how many players in each league?--- So do you envisage more or less equal number of players in each league so they all finish simultaneously ?)

.....Do you envisage promotions/demotions at season end?

.... Who will choose maps/conditions(limits,weather fog etc) , do we all play on same map each round?

---((EDIT___ive just noticed the awbw league thread has more info in latter posts i m gonna read all those... for some reason those posts didnt show up as "not read" !?? ... thats a strange bug ... sometimes it works and sometimes not))

Perhaps more generally with the rules as given, I can see a few problems arising if some people get distracted with their "other life" and neglect their commitments to the colloseum.

Also i have a few suggestions/modifications which are perhaps a matter of taste.

I am just wondering whether to mention these things or is everything more or less decided already ?
blanci1
Artillery
Artillery

Postby Hellraider » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:28 am

You can tell any idea you have, if they fit with what I have in mind I might include them. As for your questions, the signups do not have a cut-off point at the moment, what I want to do now is to decide how many people to put into a divison. A season will obviously last X-1 months, with X being the number of people in a division. With promotions and demotions, yes there will be some, and I would fancy 2 people ascending and 2 people descending per division.
Settings will be decided by me.

As of now, I'm thinking of 5-7 people per division. Less people per division makes things a bit faster and more exciting, but it takes longer to climb up and in the beginning it will be difficult for me to determine who belongs into which division.
Last edited by Hellraider on Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hellraider
Rocket
Rocket

Postby Ultra Storm » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:42 am

The real problem is what to do with people wanting to join later. You can have them start at the bottom or make some kind of a system that allows them to compete for spots in the higher divisions. The latter would allow making smaller divisions.
Your notion of ”right” is what was imprinted in you since you were young.
Ultra Storm
CO
CO

Postby Sothis » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:05 pm

Personally I think what we should be worried about is the fact that US has a new avatar. In two years I haven't seen that happen so he's obviously some kind of pod person. :shock:
No one, not even you, can know your true potential if you are not harshly tested.
Sothis
Md. Tank
Md. Tank

Postby Ultra Storm » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:12 pm

Sothis wrote:Personally I think what we should be worried about is the fact that US has a new avatar. In two years I haven't seen that happen so he's obviously some kind of pod person. :shock:
How do you know all of us really exist in the first place?
Ultra Storm
CO
CO

Postby Sothis » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:43 pm

We don't, but that doesn't change the fact that you're an imposter. See now he's trying to change the subject! :P
No one, not even you, can know your true potential if you are not harshly tested.
Sothis
Md. Tank
Md. Tank

Postby Ultra Storm » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:00 pm

Sothis wrote:We don't, but that doesn't change the fact that you're an imposter. See now he's trying to change the subject! :P
It's entirely about the subject. How can one be an impostor if the original person has never existed?

In any case, if one is an entity larger than an individual, it's not about one's true identity but rather about whether one's heart shares the same values as the entity.
Ultra Storm
CO
CO

Postby airob » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:55 pm

i think the setting for games should be set to standard settings
no FoW, clear weather, 1000 funds, no days limit
HOWEVER if both players coincide to chnage the setting of being it FoW or weather, they may post and emphasize the exact chnage of settings,
for people that join later, they´ll have to join from the bottom, or make a test game(s) to match it´s skill, however dunno if some instances would be unfair since the continuos ascend/descend from division will mess up completely anyone´s sight on tiers...
also i say that depending on how may players are for each division, if it´s 7 there should be a 2 inmediate ascend, and another one to go fordeath match against the third last one from the one above, dunno somethinglike that
as for the maps i would agree(dun remeber who said this) on the idea of each one deciding which map to play on, but of course with a limit on how may time the player can choose that map, however, this last thing is more of a taste suggestion as i´m not sure how it would develop

walkerboh on PM: Also it isn't a tag game either. Were you
drunk when you made this? haha

<@FCK> I just used scissors on some ass till they bled had just now
<@FCK> *hard

<Fanboy> doood
<airob> ?
<Fanboy> r u trying to seduce me O_O

<Walker> at least fdk only fucks with me

<Mr--Clean> well theres a new country
<Mr--Clean> called bare flesh
<Walker> Sounds hot. The HQ is probably a dick
airob