AW/FE by Web

AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

AWBW 'No holds barred' Tournament - Round 3 (WOAH WHAT)

Forum for AWBW Tournaments

Moderator: Forum Mods

Postby Snack » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:02 pm

AKA: Boot interval broke, so time passed, and the thing that makes the site automatically purge largely inactive games kicked in
Snack
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby mrapex » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:16 pm

And I have to go for a while, too much stuff to do. I do not object to giving felix the win

amarriner wrote:I'm always here. I come every day, but don't always post ... don't worry I'm not going anywhere.
mrapex
Md. Tank
Md. Tank

Postby Harti » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:48 pm

mrapex wrote:And I have to go for a while, too much stuff to do. I do not object to giving felix the win

That'd give Dragunov the chance to claim a game vs felix but since he did stuff they probably won't give it to him.

So I'd say let Nyvelion or Glenstorm have that place, I know it'd mess up half the tournament bracket but I really feel sorry for the two of those because there have been issues which I discussed a lot - and thus both of them lost their temper.
The IRC wrote:[23:17] <Glenstorm> I'm just a jerk
[23:17] <Glenstorm> why do you listen to me
[00:39] <Smacky> I think loli should be illegal
[00:39] <Smacky> and star craft
[21:22] <airob> i´ll brb in some minutes...i´m doing some pies
[21:22] <airob> :P
Harti
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Glenstorm » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:00 pm

Harti wrote:Nyvelion or Glenstorm ... and thus both of them lost their temper.

I did what now?
Glenstorm
CO
CO

DoR Friend Code: 081728 - 768873

Postby Cereal Killer » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:06 pm

Glenstorm wrote:
Harti wrote:Nyvelion or Glenstorm ... and thus both of them lost their temper.

I did what now?
The rage is flowing off him, quick demod him!
Cereal Killer
CO
CO

Location: Taking a temporary vacation from hell to go to college

Postby Harti » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:48 am

By using the term 'temper' I was referring to one of the rather rarely used meanings: 'fun' / 'passion'.

Nyv and I ended up playing without any COs which probably wasn't really fun for her, so she played really weird intentionally.
Glen and Ultra consecutively stalled their game out to the max, I was going on Glen's nerves daily - in order to have at least him play faster. In the end, he surely was annoyed and resigned.

I think either player would be a better pick than giving felix a bye. Well I don't misgrant felix a win but we're in an official and huge tourney with like 8 players left and it's a little awkward to issue a win by default then.
Harti
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby nyvelion » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:11 pm

I don't know what you mean. Actually, it's been so long that I honestly don't even remember joining or participating in any of this, it feels like years ago. I wouldn't have even believed it if I didn't see my own post earlier in this topic saying I wanted to join, as I only even looked here because every day I search the forum for my username and common abbreviations/misspellings of it to see if anyone is talking about me.

And if we really did actually have a game, I'll assume it must have been a truly epic battle and was really really close because we were both awesome and put everything into it, with an especially exciting naval battle, with the exception of me putting my long term memory into it apparently.
nyvelion
Fighter
Fighter

Postby SmackCakes » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:35 pm

Maybe Ben will come back and make everything right again. :(
ImageImage
SmackCakes
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Felix45 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:06 am

so am I waiting on ben, or do I auto-win and advance?
[23:09] <Gabo> hey guys, i have a question
[23:09] <Gabo> is it possible to transfer games from one account toanother on steam?
[23:09] <felix45> fire away lotion master
[23:10] <felix45> ROFL
[23:10] <Gabo> =_=
[23:10] <felix45> sorry I cant let that go :P
[23:10] <felix45> oh and I dont think so gabo
[23:10] <Gabo> the worst part is that i do like lotions <_<
Felix45
CO
CO

Postby Kamuscha » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:21 pm

Haven't seen him on for a while. I'd like to have him in, but with the way it looks now, auto-advancing might be the better option.
Kamuscha
CO
CO

Postby Dhomochevsky » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:48 am

Kam vs Hellraider is looking interesting... now that Grit has a solid block and greater attacking numbers than Colin (!) the balance of power seems to lie with Grit as an impenetrable wall with bonus infantry covered by a battleship up north to even the funds imbalance.

Colin's battleships could break the deadlock, but they're being bullied around by artillery at the moment. Also, Colin has no room for new units on the west side thanks to the central-east battleship and the arty block, so something has to give before he gets steamrolled.

Two things should be interesting; the moment when Grit has to advance, and the results of Colin COP/SCOP. Grits advance will be the moment Colin almost certainly has to attack or be wiped out, so if Grit can maintain his block solidly enough, Colin's in trouble unless he techs up in some way - his rocket goes some way towards this but then Grit also has 2 rockets. Will it be a masterclass in Grit artillery tactics or can vast funds to tech up break the deadlock??
benbever wrote:Financial crisis on awbw: everybody goes on vacation.
Dhomochevsky
Fighter
Fighter

Postby Harti » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:33 am

Yeah, that game is indeed very exciting. Before submitting my CO choice, I was roughly thinking about situations like those. It should be relatively easy to beat Colin with a wall of 20+ Artilleries and 3-4 Rockets, plus a couple of Infantries around, Battleships penetrating the factories, etc...

Unfortunately, I myself could not follow that strategy as I had my units step one space too far the other day, causing Ultra Storm to make an incredibly well-timed attack. During my wall's counterattack, Colin had his SCOP fully charged which was triggered the day after (and of course decided the game's outcome).
I've got to admit that I misjudged Ultra Storm's playing style as I was like "Ah well, he is not going to attack anyway - from what I've seen in 99% of his games, he'll always stay out of indirects' ranges until he can SCOP".
The problem was, despite of the fact that I didn't even consider a 2-waved SCOP rush at that point of time, that I had to use COP to really get rid of most of the attackers, thus I didn't charge anything on Ultra's SCOP turn.

I hoped that using Grit against Ultra's Colin would turn out to be a good choice, like it was for Kam against Hellraider. It could have been so easy but I wasn't experienced enough to play with brokens and just decent play isn't sufficient to proceed in this tourney.
Kamuscha is a far better player than I am and he was able to keep the pressure up while disallowing his opponent to attack weak spots - there are none. I assume Hellraider would want to win the game the luxurious way Ultra won it... but there's simply no way to do so because Kam isn't as dumb as I am.

Good game!
I wanted to leave AWBW a few months ago anyway.
Harti
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Ultra Storm » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:31 am

Harti wrote:Unfortunately, I myself could not follow that strategy as I had my units step one space too far the other day, causing Ultra Storm to make an incredibly well-timed attack. During my wall's counterattack, Colin had his <span>SCOP</span> fully charged which was triggered the day after (and of course decided the game's outcome).
I've got to admit that I misjudged Ultra Storm's playing style as I was like "Ah well, he is not going to attack anyway - from what I've seen in 99% of his games, he'll always stay out of indirects' ranges until he can <span>SCOP</span>".
The problem was, despite of the fact that I didn't even consider a 2-waved <span>SCOP</span> rush at that point of time, that I had to use <span>COP</span> to really get rid of most of the attackers, thus I didn't charge anything on Ultra's <span>SCOP</span> turn.
I did stay out of indirect range until I was able to secure SCOP but it was for the next turn. I calculated that I'd still have a few tanks alive next turn, enough to wreck the bulk of your remaining arties with support from my bship and infs. Colin is eager to make sacrifical attacks to charge his meter and secure more cities and momentum because of his incredible powers and mass production skills.

Many people don't expect Power of Money but it's actually a very good power. You get 3 % attack for 1000 G, so including the standard +10/+10 I had units of roughly 187/110 with SCOP, enough to go Haymaker on your arties. With SCOP, my infs could also 2HKO your 4 HP arties.
Last edited by Ultra Storm on Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your notion of ”right” is what was imprinted in you since you were young.
Ultra Storm
CO
CO

Postby Harti » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:51 am

Yup, you got all my due respect for thinking this far. If I had been you, I even might not have noticed a chance to attack. :o

I've seen Colin SCOP's potency in a game vs Hellraider on Contact where I was Grit, he was spamming Recons and eventually SCOP'ed for the easy win.
I was prepared for this: My plan was to leave most of my Artilleries out of your tanks' ranges and only put 2 or 3 Arties into their range so that you can't SCOP for massive unit advantage. However, when I set my Arty blob up, you didn't even have 1 star charged. Therefore, I missed the sacrifice-then-SCOP move. I didn't even notice you could hit so many units that some of your attacking tanks would stay intact. Before making my move, I calculated a few possible attacks - but none seemed profitable for me back then.

You fully deserve this win, you really got balls. :lol:
Harti
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Ultra Storm » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:11 am

The key was that two of your arties were in my rocket range, which allowed me to 2HKO the arty south of the mountain and also attack the next one. Out of your 5 remaining full HP arties in the area, two were also threatened by my bship, allowing it to destroy one during the SCOP turn. Your rocket was able to fire but it also blocked your base, meaning one fewer arty to worry about later on.
Your notion of ”right” is what was imprinted in you since you were young.
Ultra Storm
CO
CO

PreviousNext

Return to AWBW Tournaments