AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Moves fail with black squares and Koal's SCOP

Report any issues with AWBW here

Moderator: Forum Mods

Moves fail with black squares and Koal's SCOP

Postby Ultra Storm » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:13 pm

http://awbw.amarriner.com/game.php?games_id=143983 In this game, moving through black squares has failed a few times during this turn when I've used Koal's SCOP. The game page's map becomes blank and when I refresh, the unit has either not moved (the t copter and the inf 1 west of it) or has moved but is unable to perform any action afterwards (the infantry on the city in the southern part of the northern section of the map). Is this a known problem with black squares and is it caused by the extra movement?
Your notion of ”right” is what was imprinted in you since you were young.
Ultra Storm
CO
CO

Re: Moves fail with black squares and Koal's SCOP

Postby Walker » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:45 pm

That is weird. I at least have never heard of it happening before.
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby ichbinsehselber » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:36 pm

I have not encountered exactly this problem (I did not have Koal with black squares)
But I had some strange issues with black squares and fog. (I am not exactly sure if this is a related issue.)
When I tried to move my unit into unknown terrain on the other side of black squares, sometimes the unit refused to move. Then if I "insisted" by trying the same move again it failed and the unit lost its turn. I do not know if the move was impossible in the sense that the unit would want to exit the black squares on an enemy unit or if this is a general fog issue similar to the one encountered by Ultra Storm here.
ichbinsehselber
Tank
Tank

Postby Ultra Storm » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:15 am

To clarify, all the failed moves tried to use the extra movement over the black squares. That's why I think it could be because of Koal's SCOP. Then again, some units used their extra movement over black squares just fine.

Also, all the failed units came from the upper left corner of the map, so maybe it has something to do with it as well. The top NW corner of black square maps is similarly glitched, after all.
Ultra Storm
CO
CO

Postby Ultra Storm » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:55 am

To update a bit, it looks like now all moves through black squares from the top left fail, as well as all moves that would stop on one of the squares that had black boats.
Ultra Storm
CO
CO

Postby nyvelion » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:03 pm

I remember encountering this often on an air heavy map due to fighters having high range. It seemed to happen more often if the vertical distance traveled over black squares was high, though I am uncertain of that. It definitely happened more if the full range was used, starting one square away from the black squares and moving to the closest square on the other side of the black sea seemed to work. This must be due to a timeout on the unit pathfinding?

I assume that right now the unit is set to "already moved" status before it's actually moved, which is why it gets greyed out when the pathfinding times out, so perhaps to at least to not waste the unit's turn it could be made that the unit's status as having been moved is done after the move is successful instead? Since saving the units status should take negligible time, I don't expect the opposite problem of a unit moving and then being able to move again if it times out immediately after to occur often, if ever. I understand that getting the page to not timeout, or making the pathfinding faster, would be more difficult, so though it would be nice to get this movement working right, at least making it so that units who fail to move this way not get stuck for that turn should work for now, then a player can at least try to make the movement again later during a fast time of the day, if that would help, or failing that try to make a move that doesn't use the full range, since that's better than the unit not moving at all.
nyvelion
Fighter
Fighter

Return to Bug Reports