AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Regarding Bots

This forum is for serious discussion on anything

Moderator: Forum Mods

Regarding Bots

Postby Snack » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:03 am

Given that there was a recent... bunch of bot posts recently I figured I'd post this. If stuff like this happens, just report it to me through PM or get my attention on IRC and I'll take care of it

Also, please try to not reply to bot threads, 'cause if the threads have 0 replies I can take them all out in one process rather than having to manually delete all the threads

E: Added a new CAPTCHA in, hopefully that'll help too
Snack
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Regarding Bots

Postby nyvelion » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:35 pm

I tried that with a phpBB forum and it didn't stop them. Spam only stopped after putting in their forum upgrade. Is this one at the latest version? Somewhat annoying to put in, but may be necessary if not already done. Unless the spam machine is just more persistent here for some reason and even that won't work.
nyvelion
Fighter
Fighter

Postby Snack » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:40 pm

This ain't the latest version, and I don't really have much control over that, so yeah

The captcha seems to be working fine enough though, most of the bot threads popping up now are primarily from before November 17th (The date I changed it). The old one seemed a bit easy to crack mostly because there were so many passable answers for it, some of them being generic names that a are probably just rapidly tried in a list by bots
Snack
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Thaugar » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:00 pm

Depending on what plugins you can find, a question captcha works pretty well. However, you have to avoid many obvious answers, since they will still be attempted.

eg:
"what planet is the third from the sun?" A) "Earth" <--- BAD
"What handheld console was Advance Wars released on?" A)Gameboy Advance, Game boy, Gameboy, GBA" <--- good.

worked well on a forum I was running temporarily. If the forum version works with one of those, I'd suggest setting it up :)
NARFNra wrote:
airob wrote:exaclty wes, they have been bad girls, and you know what you do with bad girls. :wink:

..By a PENGUIN? :shock:
Thaugar
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Postby Snack » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:40 am

It's been working pretty well now, the Question is just to name one of the Player Countries from AW, most of the bots popping up have been registered for a long time now and are just lately posting
Snack
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to General Chat