AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Americans

This forum is for serious discussion on anything

Moderator: Forum Mods

Re: Americans

Postby IndirectDragon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:54 am

That's a scary thought. CK you're such a teenager.
IndirectDragon
Battleship
Battleship

Postby Cereal Killer » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:11 pm

Snack wrote:
Cereal Killer wrote:Obama and Romney are both shitty choices. Go waste your vote like me and go third party, at least you waste your vote on someone you like. :D

Man I know I'm a few months late but what if enough people waste their votes on third party that the third party wins??? WHAT WOULD YOU DO THEN HUH WISE GUY
I would get a president I like. But that's not happening so, point is null and void, haha.
Cereal Killer
CO
CO

Location: Taking a temporary vacation from hell to go to college

Postby nyvelion » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:45 pm

This is why I support implementing instant runoff voting here. It would make it possible to support a third party without wasting votes doing so.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who prefers one of the two competitive candidates over the other, but would like my vote to first be counted for another candidate until that candidate is eliminated.
nyvelion
Fighter
Fighter

Postby funwes » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:13 pm

After taking half of a semester studying British Govt, I honestly believe they have their s*** together a lot better than here in America. There's actually more than two parties, which is a helluva lot better already.
Code: Select all
Mr--Clean> that moment when you put something in your mouth and you have NO idea what it is and spit it out

Walker> i was innocent once
Walker> then loli came along
funwes
CO
CO

Postby Cereal Killer » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:45 pm

I gotta stick my neck in and agree here. Our political system is long overdue for an update, for multiple reasons but I won't get into that, because I'm sure most people don't want to hear it.
Cereal Killer
CO
CO

Postby funwes » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:54 pm

Yeah, wouldn't want to ruin the gratuitous discussion that's already going on in the Gen/Random chat :P
Mr--Clean> that moment when you put something in your mouth and you have NO idea what it is and spit it out

Walker> i was innocent once
Walker> then loli came along
funwes
CO
CO

Postby IndirectDragon » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:16 am

Washington had it right. Parties just divide the country.
IndirectDragon
Battleship
Battleship

Postby Cereal Killer » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:37 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoNPO4h2quk Major third party candidates had a debate moderated by Larry King. Here's the link to it for anyone interested.

Edit:In case you don't like Romney or Obama, or you feel like your vote is subject to change, here's a site where you put in your personal opinions and their significance to you and it matches you with Romney, Obama, and the 4 major third party candidates. It'll also let you know what everyone's various positions are on everything.
http://www.isidewith.com/
Cereal Killer
CO
CO

Postby DynamiteHeddy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:42 am

I haven't looked through the statistics completely but it does seem like there's a lot of bias toward Obama -- for example, the uninformed might think Obama will take Alaska (ridiculously unlikely); either it's system bias or just a reflection of the kind of people they're getting to do the quiz. Also Got about 80% with Gary Johnson, but I have to admit I've been paying nearly zero attention to what's going on politically back in the states.
DynamiteHeddy
Infantry
Infantry

Postby Cereal Killer » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:52 am

DynamiteHeddy wrote:I haven't looked through the statistics completely but it does seem like there's a lot of bias toward Obama -- for example, the uninformed might think Obama will take Alaska (ridiculously unlikely); either it's system bias or just a reflection of the kind of people they're getting to do the quiz. Also Got about 80% with Gary Johnson, but I have to admit I've been paying nearly zero attention to what's going on politically back in the states.
Yeah, that by state thing is weird. If you look at it in more detail, the top candidates in each state come up with between like 40 and 50 percent. Hell, I come up with about 50 or 60 in a fair amount of states and I don't think I'm gonna win the election.

Edit: Even my weakest state Utah is 50%, which means if this by state thing was legit I could run and win every state. Yeah, I think that's enough proof to say you could dismiss the by state thing, haha.
Cereal Killer
CO
CO

Postby DynamiteHeddy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:18 pm

Well, thinking about it I think the percentage is a representation of a person/people from a state's "shared political viewpoints on the issues (as presented by the site)"; which is not necessarily an indication of how people will vote. There's also quite a bit of leeway, if I'm not mistaken, when choosing another answer, as your answer and said politician's may either be close, or semantically close but essentially different enough to be essentially disagreeing; and I kinda wonder how those answers get weighted.

The simple answer is that it's gauging how much you agree with a politician, and since the general public has a political viewpoint that kinda goes all over the place (and even contradicts itself at times) it's not too surprising that there's a high degree of "matching" with different politicians. I still get the feeling that there's some weighting bias going on, as some issues aren't really what drive people to vote (like the pro-choice/pro-life thing); it would also be interesting to see what the voting public vs non-voting public's percentages are, as there's probably a lot of facebook users etc. who can't actually vote using this, too.
DynamiteHeddy
Infantry
Infantry

Postby IndirectDragon » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:51 pm

That quiz is pretty good. Libertarian first and then republican.
IndirectDragon
Battleship
Battleship

Postby Super pen » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:51 pm

70 percent republican
66 percent libertarian
51 percent consitiution

...seems about right....
Super pen
Infantry
Infantry