AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Walkerboh Appreciation Thread

This forum is for serious discussion on anything

Moderator: Forum Mods

Walkerboh Appreciation Thread

Postby Glenstorm » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:29 am

He'll probably kill me for making this, but I felt it was long overdue.

I don't know how common knowledge this is, but Walker's the hardest working guy on the site. He loves this place and is very dedicated to trying to make it grow and prosper. You guys have no idea how many times he's come up to me on MSN with a notebook full of ideas on how to improve this or that aspect of the site; other times he approaches me with problems people have been having to make sure they get fixed. Generally the stuff that's done around here isn't put into the spotlight, most AWBW staff prefers to work behind the scenes and not involve the community in stuff being worked on (no offense, but the flurry of praise/criticism/1000s of ways offered to implement every little thing can be maddening at times) - but I think a little bit of spotlight every now and then is good to reward people for their hard work. So, I think I'll tell a few stories 'bout Walker that show off why he's such a kickass guy.

Back before the Global League went up, we actually had quite a large variety of continuous game mechanisms here on the forums. Some, like the ladder, are now defunct. Others, such as the Colosseum, are still ongoing to this day. What they all had in common, however, is the original administrators got tired of running them. Players were obviously upset at the impending doom of the competitions they enjoyed, but suddenly, they resumed. Walker, who I believe was already in the middle of administrating his own tournament, picked up the slack on all of these competitions and kept them running smoothly. If you haven't run some kind of competition or other community event before, it's a lot more work than you'd anticipate. You have to deal with keeping things organized, flowing (a difficult task in the molasses pit that is AWBW), and handle all the rules disputes that arise. It's a pretty significant time investment, and I believe I've seen Walker handling up to 5 of these things at once - and he always has more ideas in the works.

The other thing Walker is known for is his work on the map committee. Most of you can't see the internal going-ons of the place, but when Walker got in it was fairly derelict, with almost none of the members being at all active. Again, Walker picks up the slack and goes to work categorizing the huge backlog. He also assumes a leadership role, and starts actively hunting for new map committee members to add to the team. When I came and told him about the new league I'm working on, and how to make it work I'd need ~70 map/ban setups from him, he just got really excited about the concept of the league and went straight to work. So, if you enjoy the games on the global league, a very large portion of that work is Walker's. Similarly, when I told him I have an even more ambitious project way down the pipeline (so far down that you'll probably never see it, so don't get excited) that would require hundreds more setups, many in nonstandard gameplay types that he would be unfamiliar with, necessitating playtesting to learn what is balanced, he said it would be absolutely no problem. I've been able to depend on him for anything I need map-wise, and for a lot of other stuff; he's been a massive help.

The guy already does have a fair bit of... interesting appreciation. For some reason legions of people have taken it upon themselves to use names loosely based on walkerboh's nick. It started with FDK running the account suckerboh, and has branched out into a bunch of others like runnerboh. While Walker totally hates this stuff, anyone that knows me knows I can't write this much gushy positive material without razzin' on someone a little bit, so I worked up a little something as tribute to all his hard work:
Spoiler!

So post up your own Walker stories, or better yet, creative nicknames. I'm sure many of you have tales of Walker's heroism fighting the communist party, or the nazis, or saving your cat from a tree. Hopefully, one of you also come up with a name that makes me laugh even more than Souljah Boh (photoshops are good too).
Last edited by Glenstorm on Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Glenstorm
CO
CO

DoR Friend Code: 081728 - 768873

Re: Walkerboh Appreciation Thread

Postby nerd-boy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:14 am

Glenstorm: .... I like 7-up better Sprite is bubbles and taste while 7-up is better bubbles and better taste and then u have the cherry 7up
nerd-boy
CO
CO

Postby Autumn Storm » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:46 pm

Oh god you actually did it. You have no idea how hard I smiled when I opened that spoiler!

I had no idea Walker did so much for the site :o
Autumn Storm
CO
CO

Postby Mr--Clean » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:01 pm

Dont ever forget soldja boh :D

Oh and good job on all the stuff walker.
Mr--Clean
Artillery
Artillery

Postby IndirectDragon » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:20 pm

I don't know how to feel about this.
IndirectDragon
Battleship
Battleship

Postby [JAM] » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:40 pm

I've always seen Walkerboh as "Walkerboy". My brain refuses to see the "h" cause it made no sense to me.
"All this so-called love is just a temporary confusion of the mind, a mental illness." - Haruhi Suzumiya
Code: Select all
[00:09]   <UTP>   ƒ(jam)= the game
[JAM]
Fighter
Fighter

Postby Glenstorm » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:47 pm

nerd-boy wrote:THis was me bro

:D

So tempted to change your username to nerd-boh right now.
Glenstorm
CO
CO

DoR Friend Code: 081728 - 768873

Postby headphone » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:03 pm

I credit most of my map making theory to Walker's maps and many conversations I've had with him.
Also, I'm pretty sure he's the only other person here that likes hipity-hopity.
Mr Clean wrote:im curious as to why anybody would know what a gynacologist does off the top of their head
headphone
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby nerd-boy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Glenstorm wrote:
nerd-boy wrote:THis was me bro

:D

So tempted to change your username to nerd-boh right now.

That won't be necessary
Glenstorm: .... I like 7-up better Sprite is bubbles and taste while 7-up is better bubbles and better taste and then u have the cherry 7up
nerd-boy
CO
CO

Postby marxistplot » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:23 pm

Walkerbro!
marxistplot
Recon
Recon

Postby airob » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:00 pm

I was the first one to give him a nickname(i think), though a lame one, what was it? walkerfag? i remember someone else came later with gayboh, which is just plain awesome. As for f** himself *aheam* Walker, he´s done so much in so little time, he´s just plain awesome. that´s it, im not good at giving praise but this guy really deserves some kind of medal or something.

Back when he came back i remember we both played a lot of games to see who was better, and up until now i dont remember what was the score, though im pretty sure he had mop the floor with me easily since i went inactive for so long, so yeah where is gayboh? im interested in his reaction to this.

walkerboh on PM: Also it isn't a tag game either. Were you
drunk when you made this? haha

<@FCK> I just used scissors on some ass till they bled had just now
<@FCK> *hard

<Fanboy> doood
<airob> ?
<Fanboy> r u trying to seduce me O_O

<Walker> at least fdk only fucks with me

<Mr--Clean> well theres a new country
<Mr--Clean> called bare flesh
<Walker> Sounds hot. The HQ is probably a dick
airob
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby funwes » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:17 pm

I think I called him gayboh, mostly because it's also how I pronounce "Gabo".

Seriously though, Walker, you deserve a handshake. One not covered in disgusting oozes, too. Thanks bud :)
Mr--Clean> that moment when you put something in your mouth and you have NO idea what it is and spit it out

Walker> i was innocent once
Walker> then loli came along
funwes
CO
CO

Postby Walker » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:34 am

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I really don't know what to say, other than thanks, I love you guys too. I like working on the site, I have a great time with the community and the people, and if other people enjoy my efforts then that's all the reward I need...

Normally I hate recognition and appreciation, but just this once I'll tolerate it. Right after I kill Glen in the most excruciating way I can think of. :evil:
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Heartless » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:43 am

If you want to, you can consider this not as appreciation or recognition, but as a circlejerk.

but really dude, good job. You've definitely given a lot to this community and hopefully it'll keep improving.
Heartless
Md. Tank
Md. Tank

Postby Mori » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:11 am

headphone wrote:I credit most of my map making theory to Walker's maps and many conversations I've had with him.
Also, I'm pretty sure he's the only other person here that likes hipity-hopity.

Yeah that.

By the way, a friend saw this thread and suggested Kuri Boh.
Mori
Tank
Tank

Next

Return to General Chat